Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ronster Zero
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dirk and cast did an amazing and classy job on their way to their 1st NBA title.

Why didn't Lebron go to college?
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Because he would not show up for the Finals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you gave Lebron a dollar, why would he only give you back .75 in change?

Because he was always missing the 4th quarter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Levy
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Best hobby, with the best people in the world. Gaming is the best!
mbmbmbmbmb
The only reason I was rooting for Miami in the playoffs (other than the fact that they're a great team) is I knew the kind of stupid crap they would have to take (James in particular) if they didn't win it all.

However, Dallas is a great story and any other year I would have been rooting like crazy for them--especially Nowitzki (who has taken his own share of stupid crap). So a heartfelt congratulations to the Mavs, who played unbelievable ball throughout the entire playoffs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
The fans of Miami still love the Heat and to show their solidarity with Lebron James they all went home 12 minutes early today.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The coolest best thing I have ever done in my life is being a father
badge
The Dread Pirate Caleb!! (age 2)
mbmbmbmbmb
During his now famous announcement ("Not one, but two, three, four, five...") it was recently discovered that Mr. James was not talking about the championships that Miami would win, rather the number of points he would score in the 4th quarters of the finals.

In semi-seriousness I was rooting for Miami for the SOLE reason that the NBA has become such a joke, (players just being able to collude to make a superstar team is just the tip of the iceberg) I wanted a group of guys who bent the rules to the point of snapping them in half to win 3 or 4 championships in a row, making a public mockery of the league, and causing it to implode on itself.

C'mon Miami - you can still do this for me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I will not rest until Biblios is in the Top 100. - Steve Oksienik
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Well I been watchin' while you been coughin, I've been drinking life while you've been nauseous, and so I drink to health while you kill yourself and I got just one thing that I can offer... Go on and save yourself and take it out on me
mbmbmbmbmb
The Mavs were clearly the better team. Guys like JJ Barea and DeShawn Stevenson made a huge difference and carried weight when Derk wasn't at his best. That's what great teams do and that's why they hoisted the trophy.

I feel a bit bad for the Mavs because it seems that most people are happier the Heat lost as opposed to them winning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
Larry Levy wrote:
The only reason I was rooting for Miami in the playoffs (other than the fact that they're a great team) is I knew the kind of stupid crap they would have to take (James in particular) if they didn't win it all.

You don't think he/they earned it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
stormseeker75 wrote:
I feel a bit bad for the Mavs because it seems that most people are happier the Heat lost as opposed to them winning.
Possibly because 90% of basketball fans are casual fans. And casual fans just know that Lebron is an arrogant prick, and therefore want to see him lose.

As for the other 10% of basketball fans, I'm not sure I've ever met a "hardcore" basketball fan. Most seem to be of the "Sportscenter expert" variety. In other words, "I know all about that guy... from the 30-second clip I saw of him on Sportscenter."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
除名山 蔵芽戸
Japan
Sendai
Miyagi
flag msg tools
badge
I was glad to see Dirk win a championship. I wonder how bit it is in the media in Germany...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
stormseeker75 wrote:
Possibly because 90% of basketball fans are casual fans. And casual fans just know that Lebron is an arrogant prick, and therefore want to see him lose.

As for the other 10% of basketball fans, I'm not sure I've ever met a "hardcore" basketball fan. Most seem to be of the "Sportscenter expert" variety. In other words, "I know all about that guy... from the 30-second clip I saw of him on Sportscenter."

Hardcore NBA fan here. Not even the Sportscenter variety.

I guess I'm glad the Mav's won, but when it comes down to it...if LeBron had handled "The Decision" better (not made it an infomercial) and if the media did not force a year of "where is he going" speculation down my throat, I could have gotten behind Miami. I'm a Wade fan, always liked Haslem, too. I was even a LeBron fan.

I do enjoy the fact that Stern has to give the trophy to Cuban. Not a Stern fan. I worry he's going to pull a Seattle Sonics with the Bucks. It's a f*ckin' shame what they did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thorp
United States
Granite Falls
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Come on! Come on! Come and get it, baby! Come on! I don't got all day! Come on! Come on! Come on you bastard! Come on, you too! Oh, you want some of this? "
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
...I worry he's going to pull a Seattle Supersonics with the Bucks.

Corrected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ku
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"You can spend all your time making money / Or you can spend all your love making time."
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
stormseeker75 wrote:

I'd say I'm a hardcore basketball fan, and I'd also agree that Lebron is a prick. It was great seeing him lose, but even better seeing Dirk win.

The only downside to this was that Jason Kidd won a championship. He has one of the worst career shooting percentages and should have retired 10 years ago. He did play pretty well in the finals though. Cuban should give him half a ring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Levy
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blott wrote:
Larry Levy wrote:

You don't think he/they earned it?

Earned it because they decided to do what every other American takes for granted and decide what organization they want to work for? No.

Of course they could have handled the announcement a lot better than they did, although I think Pat Riley has to take a lot of the responsibility for the over-the-top celebrations. (And I doubt that he'd change a moment of it if he could--it made Miami the biggest draw in the league.) But I honestly think that was just a small part of it. The big reason everyone wanted Miami, and LeBron in particular, to lose was that their three star players had the temerity to try to improve their championship chances by joining the same team. Never mind that Boston essentially did the same thing a few years ago with their Big Three. Never mind that dynasties have been a part of this sport forever (how about one team winning 11 titles in 13 years, or, more recently, another taking 6 in 8 years?). This was coming from the players and they're just supposed to be the hired help. Evidently this is an unpardonable sin. LeBron was just supposed to be the good soldier, stay in Cleveland with their immature, dysfunctional owner, and hope to catch lightning in a bottle one year and possibly win a championship.

Well, I think it was not only a sensible move to go to Miami, but a mature one (he took less money and lost top dog status). Like everyone else, I grew tired of all the emotional outbursts we got from this team, but let's not forget we're dealing with a bunch of twenty-somethings who were put under constant scrutiny. I thought the hatred for this team was grossly unfair, not only to them, but to Dallas as well. They played great, but all anyone will remember from the 2011 playoffs is who lost and not who won.

My only hope is that the American public, which loves to give people second chances, will decide that the Heat has served its penance and will let them start on something like Square 1 next year (assuming that there's a season next year). Maybe even a few Cleveland fans will realize that it's a lot nicer rooting for your own team than rooting against someone who dared to try to improve their own position.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I wish I could leave my bones and my skin and float over the tired, tired sea, so that I could see you again
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Spoon!
badge
Well, once again we find that clowning and anarchy don't mix.
mbmbmbmbmb
As a cranky contrarian who loathes Mark Cuban and gets nauseous at the "greatness" label being applied to guys who don't play defense, my main takeaway from this unlikely win is a chance to debate where the Mavs rank on the list of worst NBA champions of the modern era.

Certainly Golden State and Seattle from the mid/late '70s are noteworthy. Maybe the Rockets of the mid '90s during Jordan's hiatus. Toss in the Pistons in '04. Of those, I think the Mavs would only beat Golden State and Seattle. So I'm going to say third worst champion of the modern era.

Sorry, I take perverse glee in throwing firebombs on the victory parades of accidental champions who wander in and sneak off with the trophy while a bunch of more talented teams commit suicide. I think that in five years, NBA fans will look back and say, "How the Hell did that happen?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
Larry Levy wrote:
Earned it because they decided to do what every other American takes for granted and decide what organization they want to work for? No.

Of course they could have handled the announcement a lot better than they did, although I think Pat Riley has to take a lot of the responsibility for the over-the-top celebrations. (And I doubt that he'd change a moment of it if he could--it made Miami the biggest draw in the league.) But I honestly think that was just a small part of it. The big reason everyone wanted Miami, and LeBron in particular, to lose was that their three star players had the temerity to try to improve their championship chances by joining the same team. Never mind that Boston essentially did the same thing a few years ago with their Big Three. Never mind that dynasties have been a part of this sport forever (how about one team winning 11 titles in 13 years, or, more recently, another taking 6 in 8 years?). This was coming from the players and they're just supposed to be the hired help. Evidently this is an unpardonable sin. LeBron was just supposed to be the good soldier, stay in Cleveland with their immature, dysfunctional owner, and hope to catch lightning in a bottle one year and possibly win a championship.

Well, I think it was not only a sensible move to go to Miami, but a mature one (he took less money and lost top dog status). Like everyone else, I grew tired of all the emotional outbursts we got from this team, but let's not forget we're dealing with a bunch of twenty-somethings who were put under constant scrutiny. I thought the hatred for this team was grossly unfair, not only to them, but to Dallas as well. They played great, but all anyone will remember from the 2011 playoffs is who lost and not who won.

My only hope is that the American public, which loves to give people second chances, will decide that the Heat has served its penance and will let them start on something like Square 1 next year (assuming that there's a season next year). Maybe even a few Cleveland fans will realize that it's a lot nicer rooting for your own team than rooting against someone who dared to try to improve their own position.

I don't care one bit that Lebron left Cleveland, staying would have been a little crazy (although he would have continued to be a god in Cleveland until the day he died.) The way he left certainly hurt my opinion of him, but in general I dislike his entire attitude.

And calling the hatred for this team "grossly unfair" seems silly after the way they continued to earn the hatred right up until the end. Especially when they started mocking Dirk Nowitzki's illness. Who doesn't see crap like that and say "Man, I hope Dirk wipes the floor with those punks!" Wade & Lebron are the immature trash-talking kids who clearly believe they are God's gift to the world, Hollywood couldn't create a more deserving villain.

But I would be surprised if no one remembers who won this year's title. I mean, first championship in franchise history? Plus, there was all those years of people questioning Dallas' ability to finish. And, of course, Nowitzki fills out the gap in his resume. I think there's plenty to remember on the winning side (as if Cuban will ever let us forget.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Something to remember that is forgotten about is Jason Kidd's performance to get traded from NJ to Dallas. His attitude stunk and forced the trade. Marion wasn't that much better when he was in Pheonix making tons of money, either.

The media forced me to pull for Dallas. I hope there is no work stoppage this season as I'm really excited to see what Miami is going to do to try and improve their team. I personally find the off season to be as exciting as the regular season.

At least in the off season there is hope. Even for a Bucks fan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronster Zero
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know about the Mavs being an unremembered team for their championship.

They beat the Lakers (2x defending champs), Oklahoma City (scoring champion in Kevin Durant), and then the Miami Heat (how had all but been cornated champs).

The fact that they beat the Heat will keep them in memory. I think this team defines what a team should be and how they can work together to win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I wish I could leave my bones and my skin and float over the tired, tired sea, so that I could see you again
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Spoon!
badge
Well, once again we find that clowning and anarchy don't mix.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think their only chance of being remembered is if they make another serious run and the Heat implode.

Otherwise, they'll just be the good but not great team that sneaked in the year that the Lakers disintegrated, the Thunder were not quite ready, the Celtics were banged up, the Bulls were too young and the Heat choked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mistermarino wrote:
I think their only chance of being remembered is if they make another serious run and the Heat implode.

Otherwise, they'll just be the good but not great team that sneaked in the year that the Lakers disintegrated, the Thunder were not quite ready, the Celtics were banged up, the Bulls were too young and the Heat choked.

Something I just thought about. For me, they will be remembered. They had a tough road to win and they did. This is after a decade of some very good teams.

It is sort of what the Bucks of the 1980's couldn't do. Many years of very good teams, could be either the Sixers or Celtics in the playoffs, but never both. Was the fourth best team in the league all those years.

Yes, I twisted it to talk about the Bucks. LOL
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Levy
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blott wrote:
But I would be surprised if no one remembers who won this year's title. I mean, first championship in franchise history? Plus, there was all those years of people questioning Dallas' ability to finish. And, of course, Nowitzki fills out the gap in his resume. I think there's plenty to remember on the winning side (as if Cuban will ever let us forget.)

I hope you're right, Ben. There is indeed plenty to remember about this team and I consider them a worthy champion. But the media and 90% of the fans are so mouth-foamingly obsessed with LeBron and the Heat that I worry that Dallas will become a mere footnote in history.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
KSensei wrote:
I was glad to see Dirk win a championship.

I'm glad Jason Kidd can claim a championship before he retires. He's had such a fantastic career, a title was the only thing missing from his resume.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems that LeBron needs to take a remedial math class. He needs to learn that he has to count to ONE before five, six, seven...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronster Zero
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
J.L.Robert wrote:
It seems that LeBron needs to take a remedial math class. He needs to learn that he has to count to ONE before five, six, seven...

Did you hear about the Lebron James phone?

It only vibrates cause it has no ring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.