Subject: Play Any during the Marshalling phase rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: AGoT_LCG [+] [View All]
Alan Michie
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I just purchased the game and my group has attempted to play it on three occasions, with each game ending in stress and frustration. I still love the game but we keep getting hung up on the timing for player actions and some of the rules.

For example, Tina is playing House Targaryen. It is the marshalling phase. Can she use the event card Dance with Dragons (Any Phase)to put a dragon into her hand, collect her gold, and then pay the cost to put it in play? According to some of the timing charts, marshalling doesn't allow event cards, even if they say Any Phase.

Also, when does a player use the Any phase during the elected phase, before or after the standard actions?

Clarification would be greatly appreciated. Furthermore, any suggestions on how to run through the game smoothly (We haven't used the multiplayer icons until we felt we had a better grasp on the rules and everthing).

I hope my group can try the game again with more positive results. Thanks ahead for any replies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Galimofry wrote:

For example, Tina is playing House Targaryen. It is the marshalling phase. Can she use the event card Dance with Dragons (Any Phase)to put a dragon into her hand, collect her gold, and then pay the cost to put it in play? According to some of the timing charts, marshalling doesn't allow event cards, even if they say Any Phase.

You are likely reading the timing chart incorrectly. Any Phase and Marshalling triggered effects can be played at any time during the marshalling phase that it is your turn to play a card and you are in a "Player Action" window as indicated in the flowchart.

Galimofry wrote:
Also, when does a player use the Any phase during the elected phase, before or after the standard actions?

Any Phase is a standard action. Each one is initiatated separately and will fully resolve before any other non-Response actions can be taken.

As an example

It is Marshalling Phase, I am first player.
We enter the framework action window starting the marshalling phase.
We continue to the Framework action window setting me as active player and counting my income
We move to the Player action window. Since I am First Player I get first action.
I marshall a card. Now the next action passes to the person on my left.
That person may play any Any Phase or Marshalling action (but may not marshall a card or play a duplicate until they are active player)
Player 2 Plays an Any Phase action. play passes to next person on left.
Player 3 passes.
Player 4 plays a Marshalling action. No more players so play passes back to me
I play an Any Phase event.
etc. etc.
I declare that I have no more actions that cost gold and player 2 becomes active player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As an example of how Responses work

I play an Any Phase action
Player 2 plays an Any Phase event which has no cost.
--Player 4 plays Paper Shield to cancel that event. No other responses are taken. The event is cancelled.
Player 3 plays an any phase action
Player 4 passes, etc, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rice
United States
LIHUE
HI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Galimofry wrote:
For example, Tina is playing House Targaryen. It is the marshalling phase. Can she use the event card Dance with Dragons (Any Phase)to put a dragon into her hand, collect her gold, and then pay the cost to put it in play?

Dance With Dragons says:

Any Phase: Kneel 1 influence to search your deck for a Dragon card, reveal it to all players, and put it into your hand. Then shuffle your deck.

So the answer is yes, she may - although she would actually collect gold FIRST, then play Dance With Dragons, then play the dragon and pay its cost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Ach
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Galimofry wrote:

From the rule book: "Only 1 player can marshal cards (i.e., play cards from his hand to the play area by paying the printed gold cost on the card) at a time, but other players can still take “Marshalling:” or “Any Phase:” actions as usual."
The distinction is that only the active player can pay the gold cost on the card to put characters, attachments, and location into play. Any player can play an event even if it has an associate gold cost to trigger the effect (such as the case with Dance with Dragons.) By the way, this is what makes Targ's house keyword so great. Any card with the "Ambush" keyword can enter play as a player action -even outside the Marshalling phase- by paying its cost in influence instead of gold.

Galimofry wrote:
Clarification would be greatly appreciated. Furthermore, any suggestions on how to run through the game smoothly (We haven't used the multiplayer icons until we felt we had a better grasp on the rules and everthing).

I think you have a good idea. The first few games I played without the titles, which just adds a whole other level of complexity. I would suggest not getting bogged down in timing structures, but I'm not sure what your playgroup is like. Some people just love rules and have to have every single rule down before they feel like they're "playing" in which case there is a lot to absorb in a game like this. My sister is one such individual and it just slows the game down - it just takes patience on my part. When I first started playing, I tried to deliberately not focus on the timing structures so much and just go with it. Sure I made mistakes, but I had more fun not having to look at the rules every couple minutes. Just keep a mental list of questions and then look them up in the FAQ or ask on the boards. We have a great community in AGoT with some very knowledgeable players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Ach
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darksbane wrote:
Galimofry wrote:

You are likely reading the timing chart incorrectly. Any Phase and Marshalling triggered effects can be played at any time during the marshalling phase that it is your turn to play a card and you are in a "Player Action" window as indicated in the flowchart.

I just looked at the FAQ and it clearly says in the Marshalling timing structure: "1) only the active Player is allowed to take actions that cost gold."
That is likely leading to the confusion. What is meant by this is what I explained: that you can't marshall characters, attachments, and locations if you aren't the active player, because "marshalling" is considered a player "action" each time you play a card. But any player can still play an Any Phase: action that cost gold (e.g. Dance with Dragons), or the abilities on cards in play (e.g. Winterfell Kennels), even if you aren't the active player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Johnson
United States
San Ramon
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Galimofry wrote:
I just purchased the game and my group has attempted to play it on three occasions, with each game ending in stress and frustration. I still love the game but we keep getting hung up on the timing for player actions and some of the rules.

I will second this - when I was trying to learn the game it was insanely frustrating. Honestly there's still questions that people have about the game, even world champion players (check out the fantasy flight boards). But now that I've been playing a few months I know the game much better, and I find it to be the most enjoyable game in my collection. It's deep and complex, with so much potential for combos and new game experiences. So keep up with it!

Galimofry wrote:

I would definitely use the multiplayer titles if you're playing 3-4 players. First, without them, one player with a weak position will get picked on by all the other players, making the game not so enjoyable. Second, it adds a layer of diplomacy to the game, which to me is what makes the game so much fun. Not to mention the opposing player interactions provide an additional way to gain power, speeding up the game some.

As far as making the game run more smoothly, I would have two suggestions - one cheep and one not so cheap. First, if you're the defacto "teacher" of the game start trying your best to memorize the cards, and play a few games with open hands. You can give advice to players on good or bad actions, or when they can use something.

The second not so cheap suggestion to make the game run more smoothly (assuming you really like the game) is to buy all of the big box house-specific expansions. The Stark, Baratheon, and Targaryen boxes all have "power-rush" style deck lists that you can build using the core set and the expansion. These decks should introduce a synergy to your game and possibly make it a little more obvious to the players regarding how to win. For example, the Tully deck in Stark focuses on defending challenges and pulling power using Riverrun. The Powerrush deck in the Bara box focuses on tons of renown and multiple power challenges with Robert Baratheon. The Targ box has an amazingly cool dragon deck which focuses on synergies between the three dragons, Dany, and the Heir to the Iron Throne agenda. The fourth deck you build could be Greyjoy unopposed using the Greyjoy house box. Unfortunately there's no decklist, but you should be able to find something on the internet. Basically an unopposed deck works to build up a good base with some warships, Support of Harlaw, and a couple of intimidate characters. Then they can explode out with Rise of the Kracken to win th game.

Any of the power rush decks can explode on a single turn to grab 6-8 power in one round and win the game. This might end some frustration if you feel like your multiplayer games are going too long and people are losing interest. The downside of course is that it requires a fairly significant investment in cards to build some decks. This is especially hard when you're not even sure your group will still like the game.

Hopefully that helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Michie
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks to everyone who responded.
Since my group meets every other week, this will give me time to look
over things carefully and try to keep the game afloat for the group.
I know this is a great game and I would hate to have it just sit on the shelf for eternity.
I think the next time we play we will discuss how the phases go and when a player can respond (Our biggest hurtle).
Just to make sure I understand correctly about player actions.

1. The active player does his action (marshal a card or declare an attack).
2. The next non-active player then may either pass, take an action through a card that meets a certain requirement or an any phase action, or declare defense if fighting a challenge
3. Repeat #2 until all non-active players have either acted or passed.
4. The active player then makes his next action (ie. marshall another card). If originally initiating a challenge he may respond to the target player's defense.
5. If challenging, then settle results and collect winnings if any.
6. The turn then goes the to next player who become the active player.

I hope I undestand this correctly. Thanks again all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
have you looked at the FAQ yet? I don't see that any of us linked it yet. It should help you alot as it has very detailed flowcharts in the back which would be very useful to you.

For example here is part of the flowchart for challenges

if you just follow that it should resolve most of your timing issues.

As to your list, yes that would serve you in most times. However Challenges work alittle differently. But looking over the FAQ should help you with that and timing in general.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Ach
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Galimofry wrote:
Thanks to everyone who responded.
Since my group meets every other week, this will give me time to look
over things carefully and try to keep the game afloat for the group.
I know this is a great game and I would hate to have it just sit on the shelf for eternity.
I think the next time we play we will discuss how the phases go and when a player can respond (Our biggest hurtle).
Just to make sure I understand correctly about player actions.

1. The active player does his action (marshal a card or declare an attack).
2. The next non-active player then may either pass, take an action through a card that meets a certain requirement or an any phase action, or declare defense if fighting a challenge
3. Repeat #2 until all non-active players have either acted or passed.
4. The active player then makes his next action (ie. marshall another card). If originally initiating a challenge he may respond to the target player's defense.
5. If challenging, then settle results and collect winnings if any.
6. The turn then goes the to next player who become the active player.

I hope I undestand this correctly. Thanks again all.

That's pretty much right, although a little confusing by mixing marshalling and challenges phases together. Responses can be triggered as a response to any player's action.

There is one important thing to remember, though: the first player, not the active player, always gets first chance for an action each phase, then proceeding clockwise around the board. That means in a melee game, that if you are sitting fourth as active player (i.e. the first player is to your left) then three other players have a chance to take an action before you can marshall your first card.

From the FAQ:
"First Actions and Responses

The first player always takes the first action at the beginning of every "Player Actions" segment (refer to the game flow charts at the end of section III of this document)."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mettle
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
danach81 wrote:
Darksbane wrote:
Galimofry wrote:

I just looked at the FAQ and it clearly says in the Marshalling timing structure: "1) only the active Player is allowed to take actions that cost gold."
That is likely leading to the confusion. What is meant by this is what I explained: that you can't marshall characters, attachments, and locations if you aren't the active player, because "marshalling" is considered a player "action" each time you play a card. But any player can still play an Any Phase: action that cost gold (e.g. Dance with Dragons), or the abilities on cards in play (e.g. Winterfell Kennels), even if you aren't the active player.

How can the non active second player play an any phase: action that costs gold if that player hasnt yet had the ability to receive his gold for that turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Ach
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Through card effects that give you gold, there are ways to get gold in your gold pool outside of income during marshalling. Here are some examples:
http://agot.dbler.com/index.php?view=card&arsenalid=20049
http://agot.dbler.com/index.php?view=card&arsenalid=20463
http://agot.dbler.com/index.php?view=card&arsenalid=20475
http://agot.dbler.com/index.php?view=card&arsenalid=20491
http://agot.dbler.com/index.php?view=card&arsenalid=20844
http://agot.dbler.com/index.php?view=card&arsenalid=20892
http://agot.dbler.com/index.php?view=card&arsenalid=23104

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cards like Tywin Lannister or Gold Link among a few others can provide you with gold for such things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mettle
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Haha, I guess I'll stop asking questions until I actually play the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Michie
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you all for your input. I'm planning on seeing my group this weekend and I hope we can clarify this issue, now that I have a better understanding of the actions. Thanks again all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.