Nathan Lee
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the solo rules, it says the following:

9.4.2.4 Roll Minor Jihad or shift Governance or Alignment first in
countries at Good, then Fair. Then, if shifting Alignment, do so in a
country at Poor. Within this sequence, target PAKISTAN first, then
countries with Aid, then Besieged Regimes, then the highest Resources.
Use any remaining operations for Radicalization (9.4.3).

So in the solo version, a minor jihad can shift a country from ally, or neutral, towards adversary. How is this decided (count the 'or's in the first sentence of the rule above)?

I understand the jihadists in the 2 player version do not have this ability?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McLintock
Scotland
Glasgow
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
badge
"Roll dice and kick ass!"
mbmbmbmbmb
thegreat2 wrote:
In the solo rules, it says the following:

9.4.2.4 Roll Minor Jihad or shift Governance or Alignment first in
countries at Good, then Fair. Then, if shifting Alignment, do so in a
country at Poor. Within this sequence, target PAKISTAN first, then
countries with Aid, then Besieged Regimes, then the highest Resources.
Use any remaining operations for Radicalization (9.4.3).

So in the solo version, a minor jihad can shift a country from ally, or neutral, towards adversary. How is this decided (count the 'or's in the first sentence of the rule above)?

I understand the jihadists in the 2 player version do not have this ability?

You are correct: the Jihadists cannot routinely change Alignment in the 2-player game. They can use a Major Jihad or events.

As for the solitaire game? Looking at the rule above: the Minor Jihads will target Good or Fair governance countries first- which'll change governance as usual. Only if these options are unavailable will a Poor goveranance country be targetted to shift its Alignment. I imagine that success would be determined as usual: each dice thrown less than or equal to the target country's governance would shift Alignment 1 step towards Adversary.

I have no experience of the solitaire game (got a couple of keen opponents), but that's how the rules read to me.

WRONG! (See below.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alpha Mastrano
Australia
Heidelberg
Victoria, Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Jihadist can't just shift alignment anytime, in solo or 2-player.
The rule is there to cover the use of Events such as Abu Ghurayb, Al Jazeera, or Leak, which allows the Jihadist bot to shift alignment of certain countries.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McLintock
Scotland
Glasgow
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
badge
"Roll dice and kick ass!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Imago wrote:
The Jihadist can't just shift alignment anytime, in solo or 2-player.
The rule is there to cover the use of Events such as Abu Ghurayb, Al Jazeera, or Leak, which allows the Jihadist bot to shift alignment of certain countries.

Ah, that makes sense. I saw the reference to those events under the Minor Jihad flowchart on the Jihadist activities reference sheet, but misconstrued their import because I misunderstood the relationship between the two main elements of the flowchart: 'Event or OPS?', and 'Where?'. So I imagined a solitaire special rule might've been created.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct. The 9.4.2.4 reference to shifting Alignment regards 9.4.2.1 second bullet (about event-driven activities).

This bullet, unfortunately, has 2 errata (already listed elsewhere but here also for convenience) : "IRAN" should read "Iran" (the event, not the country space). "Good or Fair" should read "Good then Fair".

Regards, vfr

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.