Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Chunko
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
Scientific Cooperation:
Every time one of the civilizations plays a technology, it pays 2 S less and the other civilization pays 1 S.

If your partner in SC has no science - do you pay full price or still get the discount?

I maintain you execute the card in order. You play the tech at the discounted price, then your partner pays. If they're at 0, then they don't pay (the rules do cover not going negative).

BGO is actually bugged here - it won't even let me pay the full price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Schwieger
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love this pact. So much fun! See the "explanations of selected cards" on the back of the rules. "If one civilization has no Science Points, neither civilization can play a new Technology."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Chunko
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
Sweet!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
If it bothers you, you can always cancel the pact during your political action
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Zamalvide
Uruguay
Montevideo
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Spying one of the civs down to zero science: priceless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sapiro
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IMO you should never accept this pact, unless you are intending to always leave yourself on zero science to hinder your pact 'partner'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You can't handle the truth?
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sapo wrote:
IMO you should never accept this pact, unless you are intending to always leave yourself on zero science to hinder your pact 'partner'

Leave yourself at zero, and then forget to take your science at the end of your turn? That doesn't seem fair.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew E
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
It's perfectly reasonable to accept the pact if you think you'll play about as many techs as the other guy. For it to be no gain, they have to play twice as many techs.

Of course, they also get the significant benefit of first turn with the pact, so if it will let them get out an important tech a turn earlier, it can be entirely worthwhile to turn it down, even if you think you would have come out ahead in the long run.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
Sapo wrote:

Why? If both players have about the same amount of science, it is strictly better than no pact, as it nets the partnership 1 saved science per played tech. In order for it to be a bad idea, you need to have less science and half the science rating of your partner.

And there's no way to leave yourself with 0 science at the end of your turn unless you destroy all your science production. That would be pretty stupid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Minkoff
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
Dum, Dum, Dum dum dum, Dum!
badge
"Money isn't everything, but it's a tie-breaker in Power Grid!"
mbmbmbmbmb
out4blood wrote:
And there's no way to leave yourself with 0 science at the end of your turn unless you destroy all your science production. That would be pretty stupid.

Well, actually if there's civil unrest then you won't gain any science points. You'd be screwed in general, but it is technically possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Anderson
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sapo wrote:
I think you should re-think that. The only way it hurts you is if the other player can play two more techs than you per turn. Even if they play two techs and you play one, you still spent the same amount of science. And if you can play the same amount of techs, then you're both coming out ahead. I almost always accept this pact now, unless they can screw me and get me down so I couldn't play even one tech.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.