Michael
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I've been finding myself really attracted to tactical miniatures boardgames. The games I own right now that fall into this category are Space Hulk (third edition), Earth Reborn, and Tannhäuser. I realize that this is a niche gaming type, so it's not like there's hundreds of potential games that fall into that category.

I'd love to hear about a few recommendations that I may have overlooked. I've included some info below to better assist in a recommendation.

Thanks!

What I really enjoy:

* High-quality miniatures - Space Hulk takes the cake here. ER is really good. Tannhauser's are average at best. I may consider having someone repaint those down the road.
* Replayability, either through base missions or custom missions - Space Hulk and ER have modular boards, which allow for endless combinations.
* Specific themes - I like desperate space themes (SH) . I like alternate history themes (Tannhauser). I like post-apocalyptic themes (ER).

What I'd like to avoid:

* Games with lots of miniatures - SH has 36 figures. ER has 12. Tannhauser (base) has 10. I'd like to stay in that range.
* Tabletop wargames - Warhammer, Warhammer 40K, Hordes/Warmachine, Battletech, etc. I like the idea of playing on a board, and pulling out a ruler to measure would feel downright awkward.

Games I've looked at but am on the fence on:

* Claustrophobia - I'm not a fan of the theme. The whole man vs. demons with a dash of religion thrown in just doesn't pull me in. It's been suggested to me several times, but I really need to like the theme of a game to get into it.
* Dust Tactics - A lot of the reviews I've read paint the game as "Line up your figures and roll dice. That's about it." I read that FFG is revising the game with new rules, new figures, new terrain pieces, etc. It may be worth taking another look at the game once more is known about the overhaul.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alien Squad Leader ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Monsterpocalypse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flame Bird
msg tools
Claustrophobia is the standard bearer for this genre IMO.

If you are even remotely on the fence, give it a try. It is probably my favourite game of all time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
One Armed Bandit
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Incursion?

Base game comes with cardboard standies.
Minis are an optional add-on

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Foldenauer
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread has a nice listing of them. I only have experience with the ER, Tannhauser, and Claustrophobia, so I can't speak to my opinion on the rest, although I have seen a lot of chatter that Forlorn: Hope is a great game but with cheap components.

http://drakesflames.blogspot.com/search?q=forlorn+hope

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Nelson
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fograsher wrote:
This thread has a nice listing of them. I only have experience with the ER, Tannhauser, and Claustrophobia, so I can't speak to my opinion on the rest, although I have seen a lot of chatter that Forlorn: Hope is a great game but with cheap components.

http://drakesflames.blogspot.com/search?q=forlorn+hope

I just got Forlorn: Hope in the mail and am having a lot of fun with it. Does NOT have high-quality miniatures (or components), but Victory Point Games isn't your typical publisher.

There are basically marines and five alien types (egg, hatchling, drone, blaster, warrior), so you could do custom miniatures pretty easily.

There are only a handful of included scenarios, but we've just been creating our own off-the-cuff. The game plays quickly and the boards & rules are clever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Payne
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hour of Glory (and the Bunkerstorm expansion; the two are significantly different enough to each other that both should be mentioned).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.