Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
spencer thomas
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Hey all geeks,

So maybe i'm just overthinking this but the Workshop states you can take any card from the supply. Looking at the diagram in the rulebook the Trash pile is in the supply, not segregated. So does that mean that a workshop can pickup a used Feast from the Trash?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
spencer thomas
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mind pointing me to where it says it? thanks a ton :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Wright City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
spencerthomas wrote:
mind pointing me to where it says it? thanks a ton

Dominion Game Rules wrote:
page 7
Trashed cards are not returned to the supply and are not available for purchase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan
New Zealand
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gf1024 wrote:
Nope, it is not part of the supply and you cannot pick up anything ever from it, up until Cornucopia at least.

How does cornucopia allow you to gain cards from the trash, have I missed something?

as to the original question,
from the rule book:
Quote:
"Trash” – when a player trashes a card, he places it in the Trash pile, not his Discard
pile. Trashed cards are not returned to the Supply and are not available for purchase.

Quote:
"Gain” – when a player gains a card, he takes the gained card (usually from the Supply)
and puts it in his Discard pile (unless the card says specifically to put it elsewhere). The
player does not get to use the ability of the card when he gains it.

and most importantly:
Quote:
Workshop – The card you gain is put into your Discard pile. It
has to be a card from the Supply. You cannot use coins from
Treasures or previous Actions (like the Market) to increase the
cost of the card you may gain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Wright City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
spencerthomas wrote:
Hey all geeks,

So maybe i'm just overthinking this but the Workshop states you can take any card from the supply. Looking at the diagram in the rulebook the Trash pile is in the supply, not segregated. So does that mean that a workshop can pickup a used Feast from the Trash?

I see what you are talking about - the diagram does make it seem that the Trash is part of the supply. However, if you read through the rules it mentions including the remaining Copper (after each player gets 7), all Silver and Gold in the Supply. It also mentions including 8/12 of each basic victory card in the Supply as well as 10/20/30 Curses. Set out the Trash card is just mentioned almost as a side-note and does not say that it is part of the Supply. Interestingly, it does not seem to state specifically that the 10 kingdom card piles are part of the supply.

The Intrige rulebook does a much better job of clarifying this.
Dominion:Intrigue Rule Book wrote:
page 2
Other than the players' starting Decks, the other cards used in a game of Dominion are called the Supply...
The Trash pile card is also placed near the Supply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Wright City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
spacewolf009 wrote:
gf1024 wrote:
Nope, it is not part of the supply and you cannot pick up anything ever from it, up until Cornucopia at least.

How does cornucopia allow you to gain cards from the trash, have I missed something?

I think they mean that up to this point, with the release of Cornucopia, you are still not able to gain cards from the trash.

Quote:

as to the original question,
from the rule book:
Quote:
"Trash” – when a player trashes a card, he places it in the Trash pile, not his Discard
pile. Trashed cards are not returned to the Supply and are not available for purchase.

Quote:
"Gain” – when a player gains a card, he takes the gained card (usually from the Supply)
and puts it in his Discard pile (unless the card says specifically to put it elsewhere). The
player does not get to use the ability of the card when he gains it.

and most importantly:
Quote:
Workshop – The card you gain is put into your Discard pile. It
has to be a card from the Supply. You cannot use coins from
Treasures or previous Actions (like the Market) to increase the
cost of the card you may gain.

The confusion of the OP is not whether you can gain from the Trash instead of from the Supply - the issue is whether the Trash is considered part of the Supply, and the diagram in the rulebook was understandably the source of that confusion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Brandt
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
I'm an old friend of Xanderrrr's
badge
Buffy the Vampire Slayer - S5E20
mbmbmbmbmb
gf1024 wrote:
Thief... ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan
New Zealand
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gf1024 wrote:
spacewolf009 wrote:
gf1024 wrote:

Okay, so "up until" means excluding instead of including the named subject? My English =/= perfect.

No worries, I was more worried I'd missed something. I don't really think there will ever be significant interaction with the trash apart from putting cards in for the simple reason that not every set of 10 cards allows potential trashing. The only exception is little things like the thief which trash cards themselves. The Thief hardly counts because there is so much control over what comes out of the trash.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Cooper
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
michaeljb wrote:
gf1024 wrote:
Thief... ninja

Exactly, it's been possible to take a card from the trash since the first set.

Also note that Cornucopia has prizes when the tournament is in play, but those prizes are not part of the supply, so they can't be taken by cards like the workshop either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.