Eduardo Regatieri
Brazil
Assis
São Paulo
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hello,

Two years ago, I started a small RPG Campaign in Warcraft world with my friends using the WoW TBG and my old Heroquest boardgame. As you might know, Heroquest is a dungeon blast boardgame, played in a castle board with plenty of rooms, with a game master player making the rooms and playing the monsters against players, telling then a history.

It was great! I had to adapt some class cards to the new system, and worked very good. The time length was very fast, because NONE PLAYER had to be TRAINING NEW SKILLS, BUYING CARDS and so on that waste lots of time in the game.

I didn't used the WoW board, just to set my history/quests to players, showing their position in Azeroth to bring them a bit of Warcraft Story thing. I used the Heroquest boardgame to set the players playing like in Heroquest Games, you move squares, attack monsters, look for treasures, fight bosses, and so on.

So, before each quest, players must equip themselves and set spells before entering the dungeon/quest. They get very familiar with their character this way, they know what cards are good and what are not, saving LOTS of time of this game. In the end of the quest, they will hve plenty experience for getting rid the monsters and items from treasures in the quest.

NOW that they finished their quest, they can finally level up and train new spells, buy new items and so on. Your friends will probably like it, because they will have a taste of a quest thing, the sweat work for getting items, killing bosses, having a nice teamplay, and probably will ask for a new quest to be made.

As you can see, this can be played in several little sessions. Each quest I mastered took us a maximum of 1-2 hours of fun play.

Now I've decided to make a D&D Castle Ravenloft, which is a GREAT game, with the WOW combat system using cards and minis, with NO master players and in the Warcraft World. It'd be a great project that I'm about to make.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Carter
United States
Dayton
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds very cool. I've thought about trying something like this myself. Did you use the WoWtbG combat system or the Heroquest combat system?

I'd love to see your completed work with the Ravenloft conversion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eduardo Regatieri
Brazil
Assis
São Paulo
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the reply!

I made my own battle system using the cards of WoW. I can't remember exactly, but players used blue dice for ranged attacks, red dice + attrition for melee and green dice for defense. The gameplay system was like Heroquest, players move and attack, monsters move and attack, no simultaneous fight like in WoW.

I'm planning this for Ravenloft. Probably I have to make some card pasteups to adapt it better. For Heroquest, I just did a setup list explaining the card changes for the new system. For Ravenloft I'll make it better to post here in BGG. It might even have a encounter deck, and possibly a deck of monsters (I have the quest cards from WoW).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro Rascon
Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds awesome.
What do you make for monster movement? In CR, they move by tiles, according to their tactics.
i mean, how do you decide how many squares each hero and monster moves? I imagine once you are adjacent, a batle begins using the WoW BG battle mechanics, which are awesome.
What i'd like to try is combine the movement ant tactics from CR or WoA and the battle mechanich from WoW GB.
the monster deck using the quest cards is an excellent idea. i think i'll try that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eduardo Regatieri
Brazil
Assis
São Paulo
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hello!

Opening this article and playing Castle Ravenloft this weekend made me search for this old variant of mine... and found it!

Well, it really needs an fix to do not need any changes in the WoW cards, because there are plenties in the list.

But that's how we used play (I'll only type what I wrote, I couldn't understand some rules):

Round Steps (Hero Phase)

Step1 - Equip Passive and Active Powers, Feats and Special Items;
Step2 - Remove all unequipped cards (?);
Step3 - ACTION PHASE

The hero can go:
- Move (2D8) + Action
- Action + Move (2D8)
- Move (some of 2D8) + Action + Move (rest of 2D8)

Action List:
- Make an Attack
- Look for Traps in the room
- Look for Treasures
- Use items, magic powers or map triggering

Combat Steps (It needs plenty fixes);
1) Determine attack type (Melee for red dice or Ranged for blue dice)
- Melee can be done to adjacent targets. Diagonal targets only for staffs or lances;
- Ranged can be done in long distances, not adjacent targets, and must check Line of Sight.

2) Determine opponent's Threat + scenario modifiers
3) Dice Poll - roll all dice corresponding to attack type and powers/talents/items used
4) Reroll step
- Don't lose the succeded dice results (higher than enemy's threat)
- If you have Attrition, add one attrition hit for each hit you got

5) Enemy's defense step
- If the enemy has an Defense value, roll green dice equal to this value.
- The rolled dice MUST be EQUAL or GREATER than the dice rolled to annul the dice (like in RISK)

6) Place damage tokens on the enemy.

Enemies was different from the ones came in the game. An example is below:

Bornac (DoomHammer Orc Clan)
Threat - 5
Melee - 3
Defend - 2
Health - 5
Spot 8 - +1 hit

Great bosses or hard enemies used to have defend stats. Most of them don't have it, it's a very heavy feature.

If you being attacked by an enemy:
1) Players Threat = 4 + level
2) Enemy roll attack. Must be higher than player's threat as normal
3) Roll your GREEN dice poll from items/talents/powers (pay for powers)
- The rolled dice MUST be EQUAL or GREATER than the dice rolled to annul the dice (like in RISK)

4) Take hits.

It's a quite complicated rule, I'm already thinking another rules, thinking in the TILE thing as Castle Ravenloft has.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eduardo Regatieri
Brazil
Assis
São Paulo
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Now my Castle Ravenloft pre-idea:

:Hero Phase:

First, empty your DEFENSE BOX (see below, don't worry now)
May take:
- "Travel" and "Challenge" action (challenge refers to Attack, disarm traps and cast spells)
- Challenge and Travel
- Travel twice

:Exploration Phase:
Normal as CR

:Villain Phase:
Normal as CR

How Challenge works.

To avoid changing card rules, I have to "translate" some card descriptions:
"Friendly/Enemy participating in combat" = Represent a Friendly/Enemy in the same TILE you are
"Regions" = Represent TILES (works great when using cards like Teleport or Town Portal)
"Independent Creatures" = I think I'll make this kind of creature in some scenarios as in the game: may not move but may engage players when they stop movement on his TILE. Otherwise, may be considered as normal creature.

There are three situations of combat phases:

A) Enemy is 1 Tile Distance - Perform Ranged Attacks
- Perform an Ranged Attack using a BLUE DICE POLL from items/talents/powers (pay energy)
- Reroll and get an hit with greater enemy's threat roll result as normal
- Enemy don't fight back

B) Enemy is in same Tile - Perform NORMAL COMBAT RULES, with enemy fighting back, defense and all.
- DON'T REMOVE THE HIT AND ARMOR TOKENS FROM DEFENSE BOX, they'll be used to defend future attacks from enemies UNTIL YOUR NEXT TURN
- Put an "Coin" token in front of the enemy representing that it already played his turn

C) Enemy has not attacked yet - Activate each enemy YOU CONTROL in the end of Villain Phase and attack the players
- Enemies will have an fixed Melee or/and Ranged value attacks. No dice roll.
- Melee attacks for same tile, and ranged for 1 tile or more distance
- Target the player. IF player already performed "B"attack, he may then have hit and armor tokens in his Defense box gotten from RED AND GREEN rolls of his last attack, and may defend against incoming attacks as normal. Must NOT fight back!
- IF player HAS NOT performed an "B" attack, he might have nothing protecting him in the Defense box. He must now roll RED AND GREEN DICE POLL from items/talents/powers (must pay for them) to annul enemy's attack. Must NOT fight back!

I'll try this out and see if it works.
About players speed, may be different between the classes, a fixed value.

Send ideas and comments!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.