Popular Tags: [View All]
Green Dan
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, there was a documentry on last night about Assisted Suicide. I didn't watch it but it got me thinking.

I'm generally Pro the legalisation of Assisted Suicide. Providing the correct safeguards are in place. Ie: You've been diagonosed with an inncurable disease, you are still in command of you faculties and responsable for your own decision making.

It should not be avaible as a route for Dr's or carers to use. Ie, if you have handed over medical decisions to another person they cannot make this decision for you.

I think some states in the US have a system in place, how does that work? I know some Euro countries have it (Sweden was mentioned in the discussion about the documentry).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasper
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Netherlands have a fairly extensive framework around euthenasia. In essence conditions need at a bare minimum involve incurable suffering be it mental or physical. If a doctor follows the correct procedures he or she is not liable to be persecuted for the assisting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I did watch it, and now kinda wish I hadn't... (having said that I've seen worse on Channel 4)

The weirest thing was the location of the house that was used. Because of the nature of the business involved, Dignitas were not allowed to build the house in a residential area. So the last bits of Switzerland you get to see before shuffling off the mortal coil is that of a Swiss industrial estate.

The quandry that Terry faced was that by the time he would be ready to die, he would be too far gone with Alzheimer's to make the request.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
tscook wrote:
Unquestionably for. The fact that I know how to commit suicide painlessly is probably one of the greater comforts I have.

This was also reported by Dignitas. A fair proportion of people who register with them are never heard from again. The reason given was that a lot of people took solace in the fact that they had a 'way out' ifd they needed it (regardless of whether the option was used or not).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Thrower
United Kingdom
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems fairly obvious to me that it's something that ought to be allowed, with appropriate legal safeguards in place.

I'd be interested to know if there have been cases in any of the countries that allow legal assisted suicide that have caused controversy over the wishes of the person involved or their family.

I'd also be interested to know if any of the higher-profile people arguing against the legality of assisted suicide are atheists - in other words that we can discount a religious motivation for their opinions and assume a moral or rational one instead.

I suspect that the answer to both questions is no.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasper
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MattDP wrote:

I'd be interested to know if there have been cases in any of the countries that allow legal assisted suicide that have caused controversy over the wishes of the person involved or their family.
There have been minor controversies, but nothing serious. There was a case in which the patient reversed their earlier wish at the last moment but was then no longer of sound mind. The family decided (not unanimously) to continue with the process of euthenasia through stopping to administer liquids. Did not show up in the news apart from a minor blurb.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rowse
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MattDP wrote:
I'd also be interested to know if any of the higher-profile people arguing against the legality of assisted suicide are atheists - in other words that we can discount a religious motivation for their opinions and assume a moral or rational one instead.

Disabled rights activists often argue against, using slippery slope arguments that result in all disabled people being liquidised against their will. I'm sure that some of them are atheists (albeit atheists somewhat prone to hysteria).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RacNRoll Gaming
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Terry Pratchett apparently is all for it..

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/jun/12/pratchett-starts...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Green Dan
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RacNRoll Gaming wrote:
Terry Pratchett apparently is all for it..

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/jun/12/pratchett-starts...

It was Sir Pratchett who hosted the documentry last night.

So far we seem to have wandered into another area of the law, where everyonce generally thinks the law need to be tweaked, but no politician is going to touch it with a 10 foot stick of career ending death?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Greendan wrote:
So far we seem to have wandered into another area of the law, where everyonce generally thinks the law need to be tweaked, but no politician is going to touch it with a 10 foot stick of career ending death?

Much like the current UK drug policy...shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Green Dan
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AdrianPHague wrote:
Greendan wrote:

Much like the current UK drug policy...shake

Ssssshhh, I was trying to avoid that can of worms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Nelson
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a sticky issue, but I'll weigh in with this:

If I'm mentally capable of making informed decisions and am suffering without hope for recovery, then I should have complete authority over what to do with myself. If I can't express ownership and control over my own body in a way that does no harm to the general public then I do not live in a free country.

If I am not mentally capable of making informed decisions and am suffering without hope for recovery, I am an organ donor. Put me in a medical coma and start harvesting, because there are a lot of people who with a transplant could live a life of much higher quality then mine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Greendan wrote:
I'm generally Pro the legalisation of Assisted Suicide. Providing the correct safeguards are in place. Ie: You've been diagonosed with an inncurable disease, you are still in command of you faculties and responsable for your own decision making.

Why isn't the second half sufficient? If someone is in full command of their faculties and responsible for their own decision making, should they have to justify their reasons (as implied by the incurable disease)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Venga2 wrote:
MattDP wrote:

There have been minor controversies, but nothing serious. There was a case in which the patient reversed their earlier wish at the last moment but was then no longer of sound mind. The family decided (not unanimously) to continue with the process of euthenasia through stopping to administer liquids. Did not show up in the news apart from a minor blurb.

As I have writen before reversal of an end of life request should not be dependent on being of sound mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Green Dan
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wadenels wrote:
It's a sticky issue, but I'll weigh in with this:

If I'm mentally capable of making informed decisions and am suffering without hope for recovery, then I should have complete authority over what to do with myself. If I can't express ownership and control over my own body in a way that does no harm to the general public then I do not live in a free country.

If I am not mentally capable of making informed decisions and am suffering without hope for recovery, I am an organ donor. Put me in a medical coma and start harvesting, because there are a lot of people who with a transplant could live a life of much higher quality then mine.

Agree with the first part.

Sort of disagree with the second part as this can lead to the slippery slope of what menatally capable means, and what suffering means. How much suffering is too much?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad_Ellis wrote:
Greendan wrote:

Why isn't the second half sufficient? If someone is in full command of their faculties and responsible for their own decision making, should they have to justify their reasons (as implied by the incurable disease)?

Yes, depresion is not incurable. So some one may decide that they can't handle it any more, then a week later win the lottey meet the girl of thier dreams and win the nobel prize for being just so wonderfull.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Green Dan
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Chad_Ellis wrote:
Greendan wrote:

Yes, depresion is not incurable. So some one may decide that they can't handle it any more, then a week later win the lottey meet the girl of thier dreams and win the nobel prize for being just so wonderfull.

Suffering from Depression would count you out of the "In full command of your faculties" group in my head.

I do however think you should be someway down the road to death by inccurable desease via chronic suffering before euthanasia becomes an option. Not just, "I'm bored, what haven't I done yet?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Greendan wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Chad_Ellis wrote:
Greendan wrote:

Suffering from Depression would count you out of the "In full command of your faculties" group in my head.

I do however think you should be someway down the road to death by inccurable desease via chronic suffering before euthanasia becomes an option. Not just, "I'm bored, what haven't I done yet?"

I would tend to agree.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasper
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Venga2 wrote:
MattDP wrote:

As I have writen before reversal of an end of life request should not be dependent on being of sound mind.
Why? The reverse decision is. Is the decision to live on not equally important?

I am not yet sure either way myself, but I'd like to see some more reasoning behind it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Venga2 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Venga2 wrote:
MattDP wrote:

I am not yet sure either way myself, but I'd like to see some more reasoning behind it.

Yes and no. It is the saem impoprtance in the sence that is about life and death. But in this cae its about life, not death. As such the right to life (irregardless of your state of mind) nust be considerd more important then your right to death. Its a safe gaurd against presure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:

While I agree with you, your "cures" for depression show a shocking lack of understanding of what depression actually means.

That said, I disagree with allowing assisted suicide for people who are depressed or some other psychological condition that's led them to be suicidal. Not because I think they're not capable of making that decision, and certainly not because it will stop people from killing themselves. I am against sanctioned suicides for those people for a couple reasons:
1. At least when I was taking psych courses in college it was thought that most suicide attempts are not actually attempts in earnest, but a desperate means of attracting attention and help. If you gave those people a way to kill themselves that's 100% effective, suicide rates among depressed individuals would rise.
2. In spite of Steven's insulting and condescending take on treatment of depression, it is frequently curable through therapy, medication, or a combination of the two. If we're considering euthanasia to keep from forcing people to live with a poor quality of life when there are no other options, I'd think we wouldn't want to encourage suicide in people who might have plenty of other options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Chad_Ellis wrote:
Greendan wrote:

Understood, but life is terminal. If we're able to tell someone that their life isn't their own, how do we decide what constitutes a life so hopeless that a person can choose to end it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Venga2 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Venga2 wrote:
MattDP wrote:

The case I'd make is that a decision to live on can be reversed later, while one to die cannot. What's not given here is whether the person's state of unsound mind was permanent or temporary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad_Ellis wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Chad_Ellis wrote:
Greendan wrote:

Understood, but life is terminal. If we're able to tell someone that their life isn't their own, how do we decide what constitutes a life so hopeless that a person can choose to end it?

No life is not terminal, death and illness are. If we did not age or suffer from other morbidities we would not die, so death is not an inevitable part of being alive but of the weakness of the design of our systems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Chad_Ellis wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Chad_Ellis wrote:
Greendan wrote:

No life is not terminal, death and illness are. If we did not age or suffer from other morbidities we would not die, so death is not an inevitable part of being alive but of the weakness of the design of our systems.

Pretend we're all born with an incurable disease then, one that might be resolved in a later generation. That said...

Chad_Ellis wrote:
Greendan wrote:

I think it's reasonable to add that second bit for euthanasia. This isn't just suicide, it's asking someone else to kill you. That's a good safety measure for everyone involved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.