Labyrinth: The War on Terror, 2001 – ?» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Solo game strategy - controlling what you can rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathan Lee
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wanted to post a thread that addresses the question of managing the jihadist player (taking advantage of the jihadist 'style of play' that the flowchart generates) to have more control in the game, especially over the 3 deck game.

I'll start with a couple of quick points for now, and we can all add ideas from there.

First of all, I have found that it helps to try to keep cells on the funding track by disruption or event (especially at Attractive ideology and above). Aside from the obvious reason that less cells mean less options for the jihadist bot, but idea is primarily to minimize the effects of radicalization - those 3 ops or sometimes 2 ops cards that reach the 'degrade one country's governance' can lose you the game. Disrupting wherever one can where it results in cells going back to the track and using events to get rid of cells instead of taking the ops can really buy you time to get things on a better footing.

If you are able to chain GOOD governance countries together, the +1 modifier gives some protection against the last step of radicalization, as you can usually get things back to GOOD relatively quickly.

Also, there is the obvious long term strategy of trying to get as many jihadist events out of the deck (only really relevant in a 2 or 3 deck game), with as minimal damage as possible. The idea is by deck 2 and certainly by deck 3 (if you can survive that long), both sides should have a mitt-full of US events, and you can turn the tide.

Any other ideas?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patryk Fechna
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I totally agree that it´s very very important to use every possibility to sent cells back to hell, sorry- the funding track, since radicalization can get pretty nasty. Also your situation can get pretty hopeless in solitaire (playing at "potent") and 2p (I´m talking about "Let´s roll" and "You can call me Al" scenarios) if you don´t do that, because the Afghan cells have a free passage through Iran to advesary Iraq, where you can´t disrupt or improve governance.

It´s actually nearly impossible IMO to win as US if you don´t focus first on binding Islamist tactics through eliminating cells and use every event that drops funding. Only if that works out properly you can invest into "stabilizing" the region through WoI. Triing to "out-race" the Islamists by creating more "good" countrys in the same time as the Islamists can achieve successful Major Jihads won´t work unless you have more luck then brains. ;-)

Generally spoken it´s always a good idea to act quickly on WoI: Every "Fair" country is an easy target for Radicalization, Minor Jihad and Plots- "Fair" seems to be way closer to "poor" then to "good". So get the countrys of interest as quickly to "good" as possible, especially if they are close to IR or RC, since thats a good way to bind Islamst tactics, especially the "free" adjacent travel (cheap disrupt).

Same for Regime Chamge. I usually only take that risk if the target IR country hasn´t many cells yet and I have potent cards (especially "Massive Turnout", "Nation Building", "NATO" and one I can´t recall right now that let´s you improve governance without WoI) or the chance to get one by "Oil Price Peak": Use another cards 3OP´s for Regime Change, hope to test the country at "fair" and then, after playing "oil Price Peak" pick one of the mentioned cards to push it to "good" (and thereby ending RC and Auto Recruit) ASAP, means in 1-3 action phases.

The game gives you a great feeling of "stay focused or go home", that´s what I like about it. Sometimes if you don´t have lucky dice or the only 3op cards you get seem to be "Aldjaseera" or "Martydom" even a loss can feel like a victory, when you get "tricky" countrys like Iraq or Pakistan or even the entire region stabilized.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Latto
United States
Foxboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Fechna wrote:
I totally agree that it´s very very important to use every possibility to sent cells back to hell, sorry- the funding track, since radicalization can get pretty nasty. Also your situation can get pretty hopeless in solitaire (playing at "potent") and 2p (I´m talking about "Let´s roll" and "You can call me Al" scenarios) if you don´t do that, because the Afghan cells have a free passage through Iran to advesary Iraq, where you can´t disrupt or improve governance.

Playing the terrorist, I hardly ever move cells Afghanistan->Iran->Iraq. It takes 3 ops, 1 to recruit, and two to move. It's more efficient to just recruit in Iraq, which works half the time, so it takes an average of 2 ops per cell.

The exception is if you've gotten a lot of cells into Afghanistan cheaply, say with Opium, or if there are obstacles to recruiting (funding problems, GTMO, no cells left to recruit). And of course you have to get that first cell into Iraq somehow, though there are several cards that help with that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.