Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
An excellent review. One question: the pieces--hard plastic or soft? From the photos and the plastic color (especially the yellow-green elves) I'm guessing "hard."

Which is good for painting.

I particularly appreciate your note at the end about the points-based "short game" not being "spoiled" in comparison with the full-length campaign. Helpful piece, that.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry if I missed it (that was a ton of content!), but how long do the different versions actually take?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
John Coltrane - Both Directions At Once: The Lost Album
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You sold me, Pete.
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Norris
United States
IN
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Super awesome review, Pete! I look forward to us clashing it out with this one soon!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Filpus
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the rulebook different than the one posted online? (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/DDGCON_Rulebook_EN.pdf) The one online seems pretty explicit that you have to play with alliances if you have fewer than four:

Quote:
Four people can play the Conquest of Nerath game as a free-for-all competition or pitting alliances against one another. With fewer than four, one or more players control an alliance.


Quote:
2 Players
Player 1: Karkoth and Iron Circle
Player 2: Vailin and Nerath
Each player controls two realms, which are allied with each other.

3 Players
Player 1: Vailin and Nerath
Player 2: Karkoth
Player 3: Iron Circle
One player controls the allies Vailin and Nerath. The Karkoth and Iron Circle players are allied against them.

4 Players (Alliances)
Player 1: Karkoth and Player 3: Iron Circle
Player 2: Vailin and Player 4: Nerath
Each player controls one realm, but Karkoth and the Iron Circle are allied against Vailin and Nerath, who are allied with each other.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
superflypete wrote:
If you like Nexus Ops,


Thats the comparison I was looking for. All along it seemed like large scale Nexus Ops without resources. Looks great.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
no flag
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for a great great review !

There is one point that disenchant me: is CoN really a 2 or 3 players game ?

The fact that you have to control two factions in a 2 players game makes me feel it won't be as good as Nexus ops in this configuation.

And the 3 players game: 2 against one player with two factions... isn't it too "forced" ?

I feel like CoN is a 4 and only 4 players game.Am I (even a little bit) right ?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Norris
United States
IN
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
King Bing wrote:
Thanks for a great great review !

There is one point that disenchant me: is CoN really a 2 or 3 players game ?

The fact that you have to control two factions in a 2 players game makes me feel it won't be as good as Nexus ops in this configuation.

And the 3 players game: 2 against one player with two factions... isn't it too "forced" ?

I feel like CoN is a 4 and only 4 players game.Am I (even a little bit) right ?


It MUST play as a 2-player. MUST!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Targo
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pete,
Thanks for a "FANTASTIC" review, & those pics, AWESOME!!! Gonna be a great summer after I get my hands on my pre-ordered copy!!!!!
(DAMN, I'm drooling again......)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Taylor
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Great review. I was on the fence with this one, but you sold me. I look forward to your Battleship Galaxies review.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
superflypete wrote:
Medium? They're not as soft as Last Night On Earth and not as hard as Space Hulk. I guess "mildly flexible" would be the most accurate.

I'm an avid painter myself(
http://superflycircus.blogspot.com/2011/02/14-or-so-hours-la... ) and I'd definately be able to paint these. No enamels, though, but Acrylics would be fine as they're flexible. The wings on the dragons are definately very "flappable" if your kids want to play with them, so beware!


OK, that helps, thanks. I'm an enamels guy from 'way back but have grudgingly prepared for some acrylic work in the near future on some 20mm Hat moderns. I'm hoping that with a little experience my comfort with acrylics will grow.

The kids are past "flapping" age at my address, but I have a college-age daughter "of the better sort" (H.G. Wells' phrase for a wargame-playing female) with a steady boyfriend who loves games and I think they'll like this one playing threesies with the Old Guy.

On a more general note, I have to say I'm encouraged by all I've read on "Nerath." The initial "Risk" comparisons left me relatively indifferent but clearly this game has departed from the "Risk" pattern far more than, say, "LotR RISK." A good sign.

Edit: Forgot to say, very nice brushwork Pete, thanks for the link.

Also augurs well for the future; I'm hoping someone, perhaps this publisher, will turn out a strategic American Civil War game with lotsa bits for the 150th Anniversary years.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aswin Agastya
Indonesia
Bekasi
Jawa Barat
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the review.

Isn't the MSRP supposed to be $80? (it's still good value though)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris schott
United States
saint louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So much of the setting and the play sounds like WarCraft with the expansion. (Of course WarCraft doesn't have all the plastic.) Can anyone compare?

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
no flag
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
superflypete wrote:
@ King Bing:
Only in an alliance game.

Come to think of it, I wasn't completely clear in the review in one respect: There is the expansion/exploration phase if you choose a 2P game since you don't put units on the board in some spaces.


??? There's nothing like that in the rules, nowhere ...
How do you play with those "neutral" spaces ?
The rules never talk about that.
They don't say if you place neutral pieces on it at the start of the game or not ? and if you don't place pieces on it, do you stop your movement or not when you move in it ? do you earn points or not when you conquered those empty spaces ? etc.,.

If WotC has confirmed you that you can play a 2 player free-for-all, that's an official variant not contained in the rules. And it needs some little rules precisions.

Thanks again for the great review !
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Yoder
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

CoolStuff has it for $55. Great review!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Schlickbernd
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
superflypete wrote:
Sevej wrote:
Thank you for the review.

Isn't the MSRP supposed to be $80? (it's still good value though)


Coolstuff has it for $43 and there's no way retail is $80 if it's selling for $43. And for $80, I'd pass. It's a really good game but for 80 it better have a willing mouth.


As shown on the product website, the MSRP is $79.99. Coolstuff has it for pre-order at $55. I would suggest that MSRP always be mentioned in reviews (if you're going to mention a price) and then mention where you saw it cheaper. Keep in mind that not everyone buys online. Many people prefer to support their local FLGS and they would want to know the MSRP.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the fact that there is flavor text on the Event cards. My fav is the one for Necrotic Transformation.

"Regdar? Are you feeling okay?"
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Warrender
United States
Rockaway
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Wizards, who are very powerful in this game, get the First Strike ability, allowing them to yell "lightning bolt" while pelting the enemies with marshmallows, forcing the enemies to take any damage before responding, which essentially acts to soften up a defending force.


Does the game come with miniature marshmallows too?

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Ramos
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Sing, o muse, of the wrath of Achilles...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, no, I had just settled the Runewars vs. Magestorm question and decided to buy Runewars. Now I have to worry about the Runewars vs. Conquest of Nerath question.

If anyone's got an opinion on that last match-up, let me know.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Shaw
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Conquest of Nerath is my thoughts. Dice, more integrated archetypes, and...did I say dice?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bond
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Pete - how do you deal with the timing of damage allocation (I posted a question on this)?

The rules imply that damage is simultaneous but seems to me the order is important here.

How have you handled this?

Thanks...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bond
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
greekramos wrote:
Oh, no, I had just settled the Runewars vs. Magestorm question and decided to buy Runewars. Now I have to worry about the Runewars vs. Conquest of Nerath question.

If anyone's got an opinion on that last match-up, let me know.


I have a feeling that CoN is going to replace Runewars as my go-to DoaM game. CoN looks less fiddly and more violent - both good things.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Targo
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
superflypete wrote:
Raolin wrote:
Hey Pete - how do you deal with the timing of damage allocation (I posted a question on this)?

The rules imply that damage is simultaneous but seems to me the order is important here.

How have you handled this?

Thanks...


Wizards attack first, then each player chooses who dies on their side.

Then the remaining units attack, you tally hits on each side, and the opposing side chooses who takes the hit.

I LIKEY!!! This idea is great, Pete. Fer sure a homerule I will use. Now I just gotta scarf me up three more copies of the game. I plan to run this as an elimination tournament at next years' Garycon IV!!!
SO SWEET!! "D&D" meets "A&A". HOO-YAH!!
(Don't look! I'm drooling again!)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Rhodes
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
Von Deekin wrote:
superflypete wrote:
Raolin wrote:
Hey Pete - how do you deal with the timing of damage allocation (I posted a question on this)?

The rules imply that damage is simultaneous but seems to me the order is important here.

How have you handled this?

Thanks...


Wizards attack first, then each player chooses who dies on their side.

Then the remaining units attack, you tally hits on each side, and the opposing side chooses who takes the hit.

I LIKEY!!! This idea is great, Pete. Fer sure a homerule I will use. Now I just gotta scarf me up three more copies of the game. I plan to run this as an elimination tournament at next years' Garycon IV!!!
SO SWEET!! "D&D" meets "A&A". HOO-YAH!!
(Don't look! I'm drooling again!)


It's not a home rule--it's the official rule.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Targo
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Speusippus wrote:
Von Deekin wrote:
superflypete wrote:
Raolin wrote:
Hey Pete - how do you deal with the timing of damage allocation (I posted a question on this)?

The rules imply that damage is simultaneous but seems to me the order is important here.

How have you handled this?

Thanks...


Wizards attack first, then each player chooses who dies on their side.

Then the remaining units attack, you tally hits on each side, and the opposing side chooses who takes the hit.

I LIKEY!!! This idea is great, Pete. Fer sure a homerule I will use. Now I just gotta scarf me up three more copies of the game. I plan to run this as an elimination tournament at next years' Garycon IV!!!
SO SWEET!! "D&D" meets "A&A". HOO-YAH!!
(Don't look! I'm drooling again!)


It's not a home rule--it's the official rule.

MY BAD, Page 12, duh!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.