Subject: Discrepancy in shipping policies? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there really a need for a sender of boardgames to require recipients signature? I suppose I'm to blame for not just having it sent to my work address, and if you live in a "bad neighborhood", then I stand corrected. But now a place like UPS' best options are for me to pick it up someplace faraway since I don't want to pay $4 to send it to another address (pretty close I might add), nor will I be around during the timeframe the courier is coming by.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I don't know about UPS, but a while back FedEx changed their default for our commercial account to Signature Required. It's possible no one noticed or is manually changing each shipment back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As I know a retailer who insists on signatures because of claims of non-receipt I would suggest that UPS doing it might be related to similar experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought UPS always required someone at home for delivery? It was the main reason to go with Fedex for the many years I lived in Ohio. UPS was a pain because you had to have someone home over those three days they would try to deliver, otherwise you had to drive to the local distribution center.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
UPS leaves the box at the door, rings the doorbell and tries as quickly as they can to get the heck outta there before you see them. Over half the time our UPS box deliveries had the living crap beat out of them. There was a year or so where every single box arrived with a hole in it somewhere and not on the taped parts. I prefer USPS or Fedex when I have a choice. And with all three, you HAVE to request a delivery signature to get one back.

At least Fedex has more retail locations now (since buying Kinkos) where you can ask packages to be delivered at and then you can go pick them up at your convenience so you know nobody is going to steal it off your front porch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DC
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Curious... up here in a fairly rural area, the only time I've ever had to sign for a package was when I ordered some currency through my bank. That was via FedEx. Otherwise, FedEx, UPS, and any other random ones that shippers have used, have never ever required a signature.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
I tink the OP was griping about a seller insisting on requiring signature.

I acceidently clicked an order for signiature and it was a pain.

But, I seem to remember one of them allowed you to fill out a waiver on the back of that "we tried to deliver" post-it.

(our closest fedex is about 45 miles away, so if Tom at B&B hadn't fixed the error for me on his side, it would have been alomst 2 hours out of a day to get it. Which I wouldn't have had on a weekday)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Be wary about the waiver. I did that once with Fedex. The package was then promptly stolen from my porch. Neither Fedex nor Newegg compensated me due to the waiver. I called Fedex and had the waiver removed after that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
.... ?? Oookay. After instructing UPS by phone to leave the package at their service center so i can pick it up at some later date, AND getting a message from then that it's there and I can pick it up tomorrow, I came home to find someone left it on my doorstep.

That leads to my next question then... Is this typical?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Branchburg
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:
I thought UPS always required someone at home for delivery? It was the main reason to go with Fedex for the many years I lived in Ohio. UPS was a pain because you had to have someone home over those three days they would try to deliver, otherwise you had to drive to the local distribution center.

My UPS guy doesn't even ring the doorbell, he just leaves the package on the porch. I thought it was their standard practice to not require signatures unless either the shipper requires it, or you've previously reported a package stolen/missing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
ackmondual wrote:
.... ?? Oookay. After instructing UPS by phone to leave the package at their service center so i can pick it up at some later date, AND getting a message from then that it's there and I can pick it up tomorrow, I came home to find someone left it on my doorstep.

That leads to my next question then... Is this typical?

For UPS, YES. They suck. They REFUSE to leave a package at the shop until they have tried to deliver it once. After they deliver it once, the shop can tell the driver to take it off the truck and leave it at the shop. And that is only if they need a signature. If they do not need a signature, it will see your doorstep. They do not allow delivering packages to shop addresses like FedEx does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to work for Fedex and had many UPS packages sent there. I always wondered what the receiving department thought about that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Santiago Pérez-Bergquist
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
toober wrote:
UPS leaves the box at the door, rings the doorbell and tries as quickly as they can to get the heck outta there before you see them. Over half the time our UPS box deliveries had the living crap beat out of them. There was a year or so where every single box arrived with a hole in it somewhere and not on the taped parts. I prefer USPS or Fedex when I have a choice.

I think UPS actually trains their drivers to lean out of the vehicle as they drive past so they can throw the package at your house, have the corner hit your doorbell, and be out of sight down the road before the whole crumpled mess tumbles onto your porch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Santiago wrote:
toober wrote:
UPS leaves the box at the door, rings the doorbell and tries as quickly as they can to get the heck outta there before you see them. Over half the time our UPS box deliveries had the living crap beat out of them. There was a year or so where every single box arrived with a hole in it somewhere and not on the taped parts. I prefer USPS or Fedex when I have a choice.

I think UPS actually trains their drivers to lean out of the vehicle as they drive past so they can throw the package at your house, have the corner hit your doorbell, and be out of sight down the road before the whole crumpled mess tumbles onto your porch.
laugh that could be a pretty groovy sequel for that old arcade game, Paperboy.

UPS Man

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had a lot of UPS and FedEx deliveries (building a game collection takes a lot of shipping). I have never had a single problem with either. The drivers are friendly and the packages are not banged up. UPS always rings the bell and then walks back to his truck. FedEx puts the box by the garage door. I guess I'm just lucky. And my mailman is very good too - brings stuff to the door when the box would be too full.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LSU LSU
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fedex definitely rings the doorbell and runs away....

But USPS can be even worse. My mail carrier used to leave the little note "we came to your door" in my mailbox and left - without actually knocking. This happened three times when I was working at home. Turned out the local carriers thought they didn't have to bring packages to the third floor of apartments - just the second floor. Hah.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Winter
United States
East Gull Lake
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had quite a few FedEx and UPS packages delivered and the only problems I've ever had was that for a while, when I would leave my garage door open, UPS would stick the package in my garage randomly somewhere near the door into the house. This lead to more than one occasion where I was unaware of it being delivered for many days and would eventually find it out in the garage when I was doing something else. I started getting into the habit of making sure my garage door was closed when I was expecting a package and they would then put it on my front steps. It's been about a year now and I've started leaving the garage door open again and they haven't stuck it in the garage again so hopefully that's over with. Other than when the shipper required a signature (like when I had a new computer delivered), I've never had a problem with that. Dell will absolutely not deliver a computer without a signature no matter what paperwork you fill out in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
LSUtigers wrote:
Fedex definitely rings the doorbell and runs away....

But USPS can be even worse. My mail carrier used to leave the little note "we came to your door" in my mailbox and left - without actually knocking. This happened three times when I was working at home. Turned out the local carriers thought they didn't have to bring packages to the third floor of apartments - just the second floor. Hah.

When the USPS gets my mail wrong, I start a complaint # at headquarters. Three or four in one year got all my mail issues cleared up with my local office. They delivered my neighbors mail to my box, they sent mail from my health insurance back to them with a stamp saying unknown address (I had them fax me a copy), they delivered mail from another zipcode,address, and name to my box (not medication thank the lord), there might have been one more incident. If you call your local office, they'll keep it to themselves. If you call the main 800 number and get an incident number, they'll clean up their act. I never contact my local office first anymore.

Alarian wrote:
I've had quite a few FedEx and UPS packages delivered and the only problems I've ever had was that for a while, when I would leave my garage door open, UPS would stick the package in my garage randomly somewhere near the door into the house. This lead to more than one occasion where I was unaware of it being delivered for many days and would eventually find it out in the garage when I was doing something else.

When they were doing that, you could have ordered live plants, then called their headquarters about the dead plants.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Here is a REAL example of what UPS does to its packages. From the video, you can tell they DROP KICKED the side of the box so that the tape was no longer touching that side of the box. A slow pull on the tape would normally take some box with it, but not a quick hard kick like UPS does. You can also see how the EDGES have been smashed so they no longer provide support for the box. UPS treats its customers like crap. Luckily, something soft was in the box THIS TIME.

http://extremetoobing.com/ups-box-2011-07-07.mov

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Over 50 Gamer
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Oliver......one cool cat
badge
MEOW!
mbmbmbmbmb
Alarian wrote:
I've had quite a few FedEx and UPS packages delivered and the only problems I've ever had was that for a while, when I would leave my garage door open, UPS would stick the package in my garage randomly somewhere near the door into the house. This lead to more than one occasion where I was unaware of it being delivered for many days and would eventually find it out in the garage when I was doing something else. I started getting into the habit of making sure my garage door was closed when I was expecting a package and they would then put it on my front steps. It's been about a year now and I've started leaving the garage door open again and they haven't stuck it in the garage again so hopefully that's over with. Other than when the shipper required a signature (like when I had a new computer delivered), I've never had a problem with that. Dell will absolutely not deliver a computer without a signature no matter what paperwork you fill out in advance.

It's funny you mention that. My sister- in-law ordered a Dell desktop system. Not only was it left on the doorstep when no one was home (so no signature), it was left at the wrong address! Luckily their neighbours 5 doors down were honest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Johnson
United States
Cottage Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
toober wrote:
UPS leaves the box at the door, rings the doorbell and tries as quickly as they can to get the heck outta there before you see them. Over half the time our UPS box deliveries had the living crap beat out of them. There was a year or so where every single box arrived with a hole in it somewhere and not on the taped parts. I prefer USPS or Fedex when I have a choice. And with all three, you HAVE to request a delivery signature to get one back.

At least Fedex has more retail locations now (since buying Kinkos) where you can ask packages to be delivered at and then you can go pick them up at your convenience so you know nobody is going to steal it off your front porch.

Yeah, mine just tap and run. I sometimes open the door quickly to scare them, as I can hear those giant gas guzzlers barreling down the street for a quarter mile or so. The sound of their squeaking breaks gets me salivating like Pavlov's dogs. Yeah, I know when the magic box arrives.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Nasipak
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had a bit of experience with this lately, so my results:

USPS leaves the package at the door, always. The only exception is for international mail from outside North America, which you have to sign for or come down to the post office and show ID to collect.

FedEx always just leaves it at the door.

UPS always makes one attempt to deliver, but never does so during hours that I'm at home. (You would think that they would figure out that most people aren't at home during 'normal business hours', but no...). They will then accept a web request to take the package off the truck and hold it at the warehouse, but it may take a day or so to do this if you submit the request late in the day, especially after the warehouse closes at 7pm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.