Godzilla: Kaiju World Wars» Forums » General

Subject: How I got around the problems I had with the game. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Post
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game could have been a fantastic game.(and now it is).
Rules would be nice.
Rules that are readable without a magnifying glass.
Rules with color pictures.
I'm just too picky.

Having a personnel carrier placed on the map with an image of the SAME personnel carrier? That makes it a bit hard to find. But I DO really like that board. It could be used in all sorts of battle-ish things.
(EDIT: I think I confused the carrier with a car. Or I had two of them stacked up and I could not tell).

Fine fine! Lets turn this ship around.

1. Download and print the pdf. There! No more magnifying glass. Want color? Pull out some highlighters. Highlighting the maps? "That's An idea. A GOOD idea." (from Godzilla on Monster Island). The rule book could have actually had some pictures in it? Why that's just crazy talk.

2. get a box of fruit loops
tanks are green loops.
personnel carriers are yellow loops
fire tokens are red loops
buildings with food are blue loops (I can't read "food" on that roof).
2.a. or you could use wooden cubes, or small dice, or beads, or ....infinity.
I'll tell you what you CAN'T use for military: what came in the box.

3. Run out of buildings? Start to skip the level one structures. Hey! While you are at it, why NOT use the "building" cardboard as roofs on some of the buildings! Now it even looks a bit better. Oh those buildings do not stack great....meh. I can live with it.

4. Actually I have no more suggestions. I really like this game. And I really, really, like the Advanced combat.

Ok that's it.

(EDIT: almost done! I see my review dumps on the game. let me say I LIKE IT. so go look at the Godzilla's fan entry. He writes a lot more cheerful than me, signed....mr grumpy toes.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clonea wrote:
3. Run out of buildings? Start to skip the level one structures.

This was one thing I didn't really have a problem with in this game. Hey, they give you 90, and that's quite a lot.

I just started building and placing all of the important buildings first, and then just filled in around the board until I ran out. Good enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Stewart
United States
Bowie
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
and use Froot Loop crumbs for rubble (or Cocoa Pebbles...) wow

++edit+++get it; Barney Rubble...bad

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chuckster williams
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
Save your Fruit Loops. I went to the office supply store and got some minature stick on dots. Now the military units are very visible. I flip the rooftop counters over and use them as the rubble markers. Personally I think the buildings stack together very nicely. I'm putting Rodan on a homemade base. I'm painting the buildings to give them more texture. I'm throwing the rulebook in the garbage. Hey, Toy Vault should have done this stuff, but they didn't. I hope these suggestions keep some people from never playing this otherwise fine game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Stewart
United States
Bowie
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
These are great ideas to save this $70 game.

1. Still scratching my head at the color .pdfs of the scenarios.
2. Counted out plastic tanks and soldiers from my Attack expansion.
3. Gluing a coin to make a base for the tippy mini.
4. Printing out what errata I can find.
5. May paint rubble sides.
6. Breaking out food counters or red roofs for restaurants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Post
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I got the game at first I was suffering from buyer's remorse. but I am not suffering now.

I really like the game. I found my fiddling was actually fun. and I took it UP A NOTCH.

I ran the game the same as before. But....
I used 6 inch tall minis. I used nice tanks. I used buildings from other games. I used a yard stick. And I used the rules and cards. It plays very well on a big table.

But how do I keep track of the destruction points? A cribbage board worked great.

Oh but I kept most of the components right there. I love those advance combat cards.

edit..OH!
Quote:
1. Still scratching my head at the color .pdfs of the scenarios.
I needed to color it myself because I used a black and white printer. I used the color in the pdf as the obvious guide. And it helped so I can tell the difference between a pond and a park.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.