A House Divided» Forums » Rules

Subject: Sea Supply rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
For Union units, sea supply offers another supply path option besides tracing to an Aligned Recruitment City? Namely, tracing to a friendly port box?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Don't hang around, 'cause two's a crowd on my cloud, baby.
badge
If I were to hang my head, I'd miss all the rainbows. And I'd drown in raindrops instead.
mbmbmbmbmb
Assuming you're talking about the 3rd edition advanced rules:

Quote:
Sea Supply: Union and Foreign Intervention units in port boxes, or that are able to trace a Supply Line to a friendly port box, are automatically in supply by sea (even if the Foreign Navy is 'off,' F.4). Exception: When using Optional Rule 4.71 (Fortress Monroe), the Union may not trace supply to either Yorktown or Norfolk if the Confederates control Fort Monroe.

So, generally speaking, the answer to your question is yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
Thanks, Patrick. Might get a chance to play this tonight.

In the same section of the 3rd ed. advanced rules, B.2, it speaks of "friendly-controlled" and "friendly-owned". What's the difference?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
If I were to hang my head, I'd miss all the rainbows. And I'd drown in raindrops instead.
mbmbmbmbmb
No difference. See 8.0:

Quote:
Procedure and Timing: A player ‘captures’ (‘owns’ and /or ‘controls’) a box by having at least one unit there at the end of his friendly Combat Segment.

The exception is that cavalry only controls a box as long as it's present there; control reverts to the previous owner if the cavalry moves away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
Then I'm not quite sure on the distinction between Normal Supply (rails/rivers) and Road Supply. Maybe it'll be clear when I have the map in front of me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, let's see. You mean this:

Quote:
Normal Supply: It may be freely traced through friendly-controlled boxes along rails and/or rivers.
Road Supply: It may also be traced through boxes along roads, but only if the boxes on both ends of each length of the road transportation line being traced through are either: A) friendly-owned and of that side’s color (i.e., within the original territory of that side); or B) occupied by at least one friendly unit (having forces in captured territory providing logistical support).

Normal Supply should be clear enough--as long as all the connectors are rails or rivers, the boxes along the path just need to be friendly (i.e., controlled, or owned, by you).

Road Supply is trickier: If the connecting path along a given leg of your supply route is a road (not a rail or river), then it's not enough for the boxes at either end of the road to be friendly (controlled, or owned, by you); each box has to be either of your own color or occupied by one of your units. So, if you're the Union player, a vacant friendly blue box can be a road link in the supply chain; and any blue, gray, or neutral box can also be used, provided you have a unit there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
Thanks, Patrick. I saw your post before we started our game, and it cleared things up.

Just finished a bit ago. The game culminated in a massive charge on Washington by my Confederate opponent. In hindsight, he should have maybe come in from the north, because that river bonus those first two rounds for the Union was devastating. Despite his attacking force having superior numbers, the Union held out through about 7 rounds of battle and eliminated every last rebel. The Confederates, decimated, conceded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.