Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the rulebook for SWU in the section on the Races, there is a comment about being able to get more official details on how to combine the two sets together. I navigated to the webpage quoted but there wasn't anything there.

Anyone heard from DoW about this and/or can probably provide a comprehensive list of which races/special powers are transferable/non-transferable onto either set?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's at the end of the rules, which are on the DoW webpage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Fernandez
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the rulebook with me right now but I pretty much had the same understanding as Matt. I thought there was supposed to be supplemental information on the website, in addition to the basic information they gave in the rule book. Anybody else have any luck looking for this additional information?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In case if anybody is wondering. You DIDN'T get it when registering SW and SWU online on the DOW page.

Whole discussion below:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/6887624#6887624

Seems pretty weak from DOW. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Gabrielsson
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see what more details are needed, really.

Two of the races (Spiderines and Flames) aren't usable with regular Small World without extra rules. The others only use terrain types that correspond directly with the ones in Small World as per the Underworld rules. (Some abilities may be more or less effective, but that's minor IMO.)

Two of the special powers refer to the Places/Relics and should only be used in conjunction with those. (And transfering them to regular Small World is trivial and described in the Underworld rules.)

I've played a couple of solo games to try out the new stuff and while I haven't tried all the new races and abilities I haven't found any problems but it's quite possible I've missed one or two races and/or special abilities that don't work that well. In fact, I found the compatibility to be much higher than I had thought beforehand.

I haven't looked at how well things work the other way around but I suspect it's about the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franck@DoW
France
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Small World Underground FAQ
Hi there!

We just uploaded an FAQ in Small World Official Forums (it takes also into account compatibility questions)...

If you have questions which are not answered yet, please post them in the linked thread, and it will be updated on a regular basis...

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very cool! And Bryan Stout gets a well-deserved shout-out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ian o
Canada
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone should make a variant where you can actually use both boards. They can be connected through the underground tiles on the original board somehow. Then players can actually travel between both worlds.

It would be complicated, but if it can be figured out, could be pretty neat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Mack
United States
Menifee
California
flag msg tools
designer
Lefty / Happily Married / Parent of 2 Girls / Christian / Yucata User
badge
Smack dat Ghoulie, Mr. Trolla!
mbmbmbmbmb
As the FAQ by DOW is in a question-by-question format (and is likely to grow larger as more "chinks" are discovered) I'm posting a link here to a thread that gives more generalized answers to questions about race/power compatibility between Small World & Underground.

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/7465688

Each race and power has its own entry (by alpha), rather than forcing you to ruminate through a whole FAQ...which is geared more toward giving official clarifications on rules than to advising how things are compatible. The FAQ is great, but if you're digging around in this thread, it's probably not what you're looking for. This way you can check your mental boxes and move on with (or without) the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.