Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it unknown or does the designer not want a "game designer badge"?

Unless of course it was in grey, black and white? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, exactly. More the former ["Do not want!"] than the latter, but a mix of both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniël Muilwijk
Netherlands
Zeist
Utrecht
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope you still don't mind I added this game to the database (along with some other Decktet games).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
Seabie wrote:
I hope you still don't mind I added this game to the database (along with some other Decktet games).

It's fine, although it was unexpected and I would probably never have added it personally [for a mix of strange reasons, none of which matter].

I was kind of waiting 'til it was "finished", but after trying and approving P.D.'s rule for the Excuse, I think it's pretty darned close to that point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright, I gave in and added myself as a "designer" [I had considered putting up a pseudonymous designer], but added a note requesting them not to add the badge. We'll see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NateStraight wrote:
Alright, I gave in and added myself as a "designer" [I had considered putting up a pseudonymous designer], but added a note requesting them not to add the badge. We'll see.

Good luck with your quest for anonymity. Though maybe you should consider accepting your new status bling it!!! w00t!!!

BTW you might as well add Schnapp's Inn to the DB, if you aren't interested in doing it I'll do it for you (if you don't mind).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P.D. Magnus
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aaarg_ink wrote:

BTW you might as well add Schnapp's Inn to the DB, if you aren't interested in doing it I'll do it for you (if you don't mind).

I understand Nate's hesitance to add games to the database until they have reached a stable, playable version. An annoying thing about some game systems is that the game family is crowded with games that are either unplayable or are only barely playable. (I get this impression everytime I look at the Piecepack games family.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aaarg_ink wrote:
NateStraight wrote:

Good luck with your quest for anonymity.

It is not anonymity I'm after [as evidenced by the fact that I use my real name as my user name]. It is, rather, a certain kind of onymity[?].

P.D. here, for instance, is a publishing scholarly philosopher. Academics put their name on things very particularly.

He might sign his academic works with his full name as he wants it cited, with all appending letters / degrees / etc, maybe even his school.

He wouldn't attach the same name to a ranting existentialist post he might have put on a blog of his somewhere.

My aversion to having my name attached to the game as "designer" is akin [though not identical, of course] to the care academics take with names.

It means something different for "NateStraight" the BGGer to post rules than for an entry to list "Nate Straight" as designer.

Quote:

Has anyone else played it? Until at least one other group has played it, there doesn't seem to be any value in adding it to the database just yet.

[The title has no apostrophe, by the way. It is a reference to a particular type of drink, not to a particular innkeeper.]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pmagnus wrote:

I understand Nate's hesitance to add games to the database until they have reached a stable, playable version. An annoying thing about some game systems is that the game family is crowded with games that are either unplayable or are only barely playable. (I get this impression everytime I look at the Piecepack games family.)

Yes, exactly.

Worse yet was Icehouse when I was getting into it. There was no Icehouse WIKI or substantive BGG listings for the games when I was getting started in the system, only the "SLICK" list on LL's own site. It bothered me to no end [and still does] that at least half of the games listed there were broken links. You can't even find some of them going Wayback.

It's frustrating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NateStraight wrote:
pmagnus wrote:

Yes, exactly.

Fair enough...I'll just let Nate add it when he thinks its ready for primetime. From my perspective, I'd rather have the games entry proliferate in the DB so that there are separate spaces for people to comment and review the different games, but then again I prefer finer granularity instead of having too many things stuck in one place. But it does make sense that the designers should submit the games when they feel their product is ready for formal ratings and database comments.

Coincidentally, my opposite approach also comes from Icehouse entry on BGG...that space is kind of a mess because Icehouse is both a game and system. And somehow I've developed a pet peeve against sifting through pictures for individual games that are in the system entry....but that could be entirely idiosyncratic.

btw the reason I added the my designed games so quickly was because I was planning to take some pictures of my games after my work deadline in a couple weeks and the last time I added games to the BGG-DB it actually took a few weeks for the submittals to work through the system. But I'm not complaining....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P.D. Magnus
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nate Straight wrote:

P.D. here, for instance, is a publishing scholarly philosopher. Academics put their name on things very particularly.

He might sign his academic works with his full name as he wants it cited, with all appending letters / degrees / etc, maybe even his school.

He wouldn't attach the same name to a ranting existentialist post he might have put on a blog of his somewhere.

Actually, I'm "P.D. Magnus" pretty much universally - from my silly homepage, to BGG, to my academic publications. The only exception is a webcomic that I used to write under a pseudonym, but there's a story behind that.

Justus Pang wrote:

btw the reason I added the my designed games so quickly was because I was planning to take some pictures of my games after my work deadline in a couple weeks and the last time I added games to the BGG-DB it actually took a few weeks for the submittals to work through the system.

No worries. That seems like a perfectly sensible reason to put them in the database.

If you do have a game stuck in a the submission queue sometime, then you can submit pictures to one of the general Decktet galleries (either the Decktet itself or the games family) and then link the pictures to the other gallery once the game is added to the database. The pictures will be in the gallery for the other game just as if they'd been submitted there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniël Muilwijk
Netherlands
Zeist
Utrecht
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel a bit sorry now for adding this game to the database, I thought I did a good thing. I just wanted to tune the wiki and BGG in to each other. Now I understand that not adding some games were deliberate choices. My apologies if I put some people in positions they didn't want to be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pmagnus wrote:
Nate Straight wrote:

Actually, I'm "P.D. Magnus" pretty much universally - from my silly homepage, to BGG, to my academic publications. The only exception is a webcomic that I used to write under a pseudonym, but there's a story behind that.

Surely you are "P.D. Magnus, Ph.D." academically?

Seems titles / honorifics / "letters" are pretty much as important / identity-building as one's family name.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P.D. Magnus
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NateStraight wrote:

Surely you are "P.D. Magnus, Ph.D." academically?

I am entitled to write my name that way but don't.

It is standard practice for academic journals simply to give authors' names and to omit their titles or degrees. I actually just went back and looked at several of papers to make sure I was remembering this rightly. Many state the authors' department and university affiliation, but none of them give degree or position.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.