Luis Cortez
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple of days ago, Chrisitan Marcussen posted the question: If you were to re-theme Republic of Rome to another historical setting (obviously changes would be needed), what setting would it be? In other words, what other settings support the basic theme of an internal power struggle while facing external and internal dangers?

I responded with:

Oh! I am currently working on one right now! Once I finish the rule set,I will post it here for your opinions soon (TM).

My variant is The Repulic of Romulus. In this variant, the Republic of Rome is played using Star Trek's Romulan Senate as a basis.

A couple of ideas I am throwing around are: Instead of Knights--councilmen (but this is just cosmetic; they basically do the same thing.) In addition, there are now Researchers. Like councilmen, they generate income but do not add any votes to your faction. Instead, you can use them to research stuff.

The three eras mark the the three technological/historical eras of the Romulan Star Empire. Pre-Warp, Warp, The Aftermath of Shinzon.

If playing the Pre-Warp era, all technologies are yet to be developed: Cloaking Tech, Warp Drive Tech, Plasma Weaponry, Advance troop transport, Advance Ground Troops. (Just to name a few.) All these technologies need to be developed before the next era or the R.S.E. will be at a distinct disadvantage. Towards the end of the second era, Shinzon will rise to power and decimate the senate in Romulus (thus making it extremely desirable to have one or two senators away on other planets!) During the third era, Reman senators are introduced and come with advantages and disadvantages.

Planets within the Empire take over the place of Provinces.

Using all sources of Star Trek (not just canon) the R.S.E. will battle the Tholians, The Klingons, the InterStellar Concordium, the Gorn, as well as the Federation.

Well, that's my idea. I'm not looking to market this or anything. This is just another fan variant marrying two worlds that I enjoy very much. Though to tell the truth, I have thought about going to Valley Games with it. (Tehehehe!)

I have received numerous responses via personal e-mail and public postings and thought I better post it here simply because I did not want to hijack Christian's thread. I will continue to post here and look forward to your criticisms, suggestions, jokes, and comments concerning this idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Woodward
United States
Bowling Green
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Civa wrote:
A couple of days ago, Chrisitan Marcussen posted the question: If you were to re-theme Republic of Rome to another historical setting (obviously changes would be needed), what setting would it be? In other words, what other settings support the basic theme of an internal power struggle while facing external and internal dangers?

I responded with:

Oh! I am currently working on one right now! Once I finish the rule set,I will post it here for your opinions soon (TM).

My variant is The Repulic of Romulus. In this variant, the Republic of Rome is played using Star Trek's Romulan Senate as a basis.

A couple of ideas I am throwing around are: Instead of Knights--councilmen (but this is just cosmetic; they basically do the same thing.) In addition, there are now Researchers. Like councilmen, they generate income but do not add any votes to your faction. Instead, you can use them to research stuff.

The three eras mark the the three technological/historical eras of the Romulan Star Empire. Pre-Warp, Warp, The Aftermath of Shinzon.

If playing the Pre-Warp era, all technologies are yet to be developed: Cloaking Tech, Warp Drive Tech, Plasma Weaponry, Advance troop transport, Advance Ground Troops. (Just to name a few.) All these technologies need to be developed before the next era or the R.S.E. will be at a distinct disadvantage. Towards the end of the second era, Shinzon will rise to power and decimate the senate in Romulus (thus making it extremely desirable to have one or two senators away on other planets!) During the third era, Reman senators are introduced and come with advantages and disadvantages.

Planets within the Empire take over the place of Provinces.

Using all sources of Star Trek (not just canon) the R.S.E. will battle the Tholians, The Klingons, the InterStellar Concordium, the Gorn, as well as the Federation.

Well, that's my idea. I'm not looking to market this or anything. This is just another fan variant marrying two worlds that I enjoy very much. Though to tell the truth, I have thought about going to Valley Games with it. (Tehehehe!)

I have received numerous responses via personal e-mail and public postings and thought I better post it here simply because I did not want to hijack Christian's thread. I will continue to post here and look forward to your criticisms, suggestions, jokes, and comments concerning this idea.

Another thought. How would you handle the mortality phase? I doesn't really make sense that death by natural causes would be anywhere near as prevelant in the 23rd century as B.C. Perhaps required to draw the same chit twice? Eliminate the phase and only keep the mortality markers for uprisings? Death would be caused by "unrepresented political forces"? Hope I'm helping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Cortez
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Though Romulans and Vulcans do live for centuries, I think it is certainly possible for Romulans to die of natural causes. Disease, though greatly limited, is not entirely eliminated in the 23rd century. The Mortality phase does not necessarily mean (though it does heavily imply) death but simply a removal from office--perhaps due to ailment or family circumstances.

Also, we must keep in mind the purpose for the mechanic in the game. It is possible for a senator to become extremely powerful very earily in the game. Though it is up to the other players to keep that senator in check, the game, via the mortality phase, also has a way of leveling the playing field.

With that said, I think your suggestion of drawing the same chit twice would be too hard to eliminate anyone but how about confirming with a six on 1DR. Eliminating it altogether except during uprisings and wartime situtations is not a bad idea; perhaps we could playtest it with and without the phase and see what happens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Woodward
United States
Bowling Green
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Civa wrote:
Though Romulans and Vulcans do live for centuries, I think it is certainly possible for Romulans to die of natural causes. Disease, though greatly limited, is not entirely eliminated in the 23rd century. The Mortality phase does not necessarily mean (though it does heavily imply) death but simply a removal from office--perhaps due to ailment or family circumstances.

Also, we must keep in mind the purpose for the mechanic in the game. It is possible for a senator to become extremely powerful very earily in the game. Though it is up to the other players to keep that senator in check, the game, via the mortality phase, also has a way of leveling the playing field.

With that said, I think your suggestion of drawing the same chit twice would be too hard to eliminate anyone but how about confirming with a six on 1DR. Eliminating it altogether except during uprisings and wartime situtations is not a bad idea; perhaps we could playtest it with and without the phase and see what happens.

I like the confirmation on a d6. I hadn't thought of the mortality phase for other reasons than death, but it makes sense. That would better explain returning Senators than the original rules do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Cortez
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What do you think of this!

My reasoning behind this card is a simple one: Using one of your research agents as a Tal Shiar agent (the Romulan's version of their secret service.) to assist in the untimely demise of the Senator's stay in office. However, in doing so, you also need to get rid of the agent (hence the sacrifice.)

Should the senator using this underhanded method be exposed, we could automatically require the accused senator lose half 1DR (rounded up with a min.1) of researchers/councilmen as they lose confidence in the senator and abandon him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Cortez
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I made a political variation of my first intrigue card. This one requires the sacrifice of a councilman.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wendigo song
United States
Claymont
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seriously go to some company with this idea. There are a lot of us who would buy a really good themed game from the Star Trek Universe. Even just using the exact game and just redoing the cards and the board to bring it in line with the Romulan theme would be a great seller.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.