United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't had a real vacation since I was 20 and went to California to drive back a buddy that was getting out of the Navy. Aliens and towns populated solely by horses were seen. Cute redheads were hung out with and beer was drank.

Good times.

My wife and I attempted a honeymoon, but we were lucky our marriage lasted past it. We didn't plan anything, we just got in the got and drove. Bad idea.

Ever since there was always some money issue that kept us from doing a real vacation. Well, we've been budgeting like responsible adults for a while now and we made a promise to the little girl to go to Disney.

I'm assuming a total cost of about $4,500.00 (ish) including spending money, but we have booked for January. The only problem was we couldn't work it to be there on the little girl's birthday so we'll just have her birthday happen two or three days early.

We're doing a full week and will be staying in some resort that looks like one of those fifties diners made sweet, sweet love to a Red Roof Inn and this was the result.

I will find Stitch. I will post pictures of said meeting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vast Aire
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
$4500? Ouch! Just think of all the games you could buy for $4500.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chony McChuukface
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Enjoy it. Taking kids to Disney for the first time is quite an experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
That's great!

Travel is a priority for us. Every time we've traveled with our kids we see a change in them, a different outlook, a maturity, a broader view of life. I bet you will notice a change in your daughter when you get back (a good change!)

We haven't made it to Disney yet, that was something I really wanted to do when they were younger, but it didn't happen for various reasons. I still think we will go sometime.

Can't wait to see pictures from your trip!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Enjoy! Should be a blast for the kids, and last time I was there (college aged) it was a pretty fun place for adults too.

My daughters are begging for a trip to Disneysomething. We're going to wait until the youngest is old enough to do more of the rides, since we'll probably only do it once ever (partly for cost reasons, and partly because the adults in the family would rather go to France or Japan or Australia or somewhere like that with our scarce vacation time and money!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn! With cheeze!
mbmbmbmbmb
Disney is something I do from time to time (even with no kids). There's a lot of info on the interwebs about maximizing things with FastPass, hidden Mickeys, bathroom locations, and so on. Also, there are guidebooks available, and many do have good info.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Empress
Japan
Nogata, Nakano-ku
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jatoha wrote:
That's great!

Travel is a priority for us. Every time we've traveled with our kids we see a change in them, a different outlook, a maturity, a broader view of life. I bet you will notice a change in your daughter when you get back (a good change!)

We haven't made it to Disney yet, that was something I really wanted to do when they were younger, but it didn't happen for various reasons. I still think we will go sometime.

Can't wait to see pictures from your trip!

We were lucky enough to travel a lot of kids. Disney. Relatives in TN, MD, MA, CT. Friends in Florida. Grand Canyon, Sedona, Tucson. We also were blessed enough to do some out of the country traveling as well, and it definitely changed our perspective on things, and changed my ideas and desires to want to go to some of the island vacation spots. Having been to Jamaica, the Turks and Caicos, and the British and America Virgin Islands, there are stark differences in some of these islands between the tourist resorts, and the rest of the island. Its a good thing to learn when you are younger, i think.

regardless, have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Henry
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Very cool!

You probably know this already, but for some of the real popular dining choices (really for almost all the Disney table-service places), you need to make reservations in advance. Usually you can reserve up to 180 days in advance (which is coming up soon for you), but if you're staying in a Disney resort you can make reservations 180 days from your arrival date for up to ten days of your visit (so essentially it can be up to 190 days in advance). This website explains it better than I can and is a really good resource:

http://www.mousesavers.com/advancedres.html

They even explain how to have the best shot at scoring reservations to eat with the princesses in Cinderella's Castle -- which usually completely books up within several minutes of when reservations first become available.

As someone said above, there are some really good guidebooks available to help plan out what you want to see. And there are also a couple of planning websites (touringplans.com and tourguidemike.com) that can give you advice on how to minimize time spent waiting in line. They charge a subscription fee to get to some of the content, but it's probably worth it to do at least one of them.

Hope you have a great time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To minimize waiting in line, learn and utilize the FASTPASS system. It saves a lot of boring time in lines, that let the FASTPASS holders go in front of the line.

Coldie in Florida!! Woo-Hoo!!

I know you'll have a great time!! My advice? Stick to the Magic Kingdom as the other parks don't have a lot to offer young children. The only other park I'd consider taking my daughter now is the Animal Kingdom, but I'm in no hurry.

Plus.......Legoland is supposed to open this fall!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val K
United States
Bowie
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc
mbmbmbmbmb
EgorjLileli wrote:
To minimize waiting in line, learn and utilize the FASTPASS system. It saves a lot of boring time in lines, that let the FASTPASS holders go in front of the line.

Coldie in Florida!! Woo-Hoo!!

I know you'll have a great time!! My advice? Stick to the Magic Kingdom as the other parks don't have a lot to offer young children. The only other park I'd consider taking my daughter now is the Animal Kingdom, but I'm in no hurry.

Plus.......Legoland is supposed to open this fall!

Animal Kingdom has a really awesome buffet type restaurant called Tusker House which I thot was the best part of the park. But the picky eaters I went with didn't venture past the hot dogs and mac & cheese, so if you don't have an adventurous palate ... then never mind.
thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Henry
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Absolutely, the FASTPASS system is a must!

If you want to splurge, the California Grill in the Contemporary Resort is a very good restaurant, and if you schedule your dinner for during the Magic Kingdom fireworks you can go out on their terrace and get a great view of them (it's on the top floor).

Also, if you time your dinner right, the Rose and Crown Pub in Epcot is a great place from which to see the Epcot fireworks if you want some English pub food and beer. They actually ask one child in the restaurant to push the button which starts the fireworks (although they probably do that in each of the restaurants).

Finally, one of the times when you're riding the monorail and it's not too crowded ask the conductor if you can sit up front. They let one family sit up with the driver and it gives you a great view out the front of the train.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anye Freer
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Way cool! We are taking the boys (8 and 12) for the first time next month. If we come up with any good tips I will let you know! Crim really wants to go to Epcot, I am not sure that the boys will like it since last time I was there it was mostly marketing and outdated shows, but we will see... As long as we make a day for Hogwarts, I am happy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh yeah, I guess I should have asked if you are going to Disney East Coast or West Coast…
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chanfan wrote:
Oh yeah, I guess I should have asked if you are going to Disney East Coast or West Coast…
Disney World. Disney Land sucked when I was there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, ouch. I've only been to the land (which I personally love). I do want to make it to the world some time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
午餐先生
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
cold_fuzion wrote:
Chanfan wrote:
Disney World. Disney Land sucked when I was there.

Ouch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It was at least 50% under construction and two rides broke while I was on them. They should have been ashamed to charge full price for what was actually working.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
午餐先生
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
cold_fuzion wrote:
It was at least 50% under construction and two rides broke while I was on them. They should have been ashamed to charge full price for what was actually working.

Actually Magic Kingdom is under construction right now. You can see updates at different blogs (here's one). I don't think it will be 50% but there are walls up and such.

We went to Disneyland right before Christmas last year. Best time ever, since it rained and rained so no one was there.

And snagging the seat in the pilot's cabin on the monorail is so cool. I'd love to try that at WDW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.