Vampire: The Eternal Struggle» Forums » Rules

Subject: Charming Lobby, Shattering Crescendo, Concealed Weapon Q rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pascal Bertrand
msg tools
mb
Hi,

Suppose I call a Charming Lobby on a Kine Resources Contested. When I play Charming Lobby, I have 1 Kine Resources Contested in my hand. In the process of the action, I get to discard that Kine Resources Contested (Raptor, ..), but draw another copy.

When we reach resolution, does Kine Resources Contested get called?

Similarly, when I play Shattering Crescendo with 1 Shattering Crescendo in my hand, do I identify that Shattering Crescendo, or is it merely named?
I discard that copy between announcement and resolution, but draw another copy. Do I still get to discard that copy to inflict damage on some minions?

Finally, I play Infernal Pursuit and then Concealed Weapon on .44 Magnum. I discard my .44 Magnum to Infernal Pursuit, but I drew another one (say I like the artwork better). Do I equip that "new" .44 Magnum?

Thanks,
Pascal

~~

Charming Lobby
Cardtype: Action
Discipline: Presence
+1 stealth political action.
[pre] This vampire calls a referendum listed on a political action card in your hand (play that card) or allowed by an effect in play. If the referendum passes, then the next referendum called by any vampire thereafter passes automatically.
[PRE] As above, and this vampire gains 2 votes in that first referendum.

Shattering Crescendo
Cardtype: Action
Cost: 1 blood
Discipline: Melpominee / Protean
[pro] (D) Inflict 1 unpreventable damage on an ally or retainer.
[mel] (D) Discard a Shattering Crescendo from your hand to inflict 2 unpreventable damage on each of up to 2 minions controlled by a single Methuselah.
[MEL] As [mel] above, but for 3 damage each.

Concealed Weapon
Cardtype: Combat
Only usable before range is determined.
This minion equips with a non-unique weapon card from your hand (requirements and cost apply as normal). The weapon cannot cost 3 or more pool or inflict (with a regular strike) aggravated damage or 4 or more damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
who cares
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools

Quote:

When we reach resolution, does Kine Resources Contested get called?

When the lobby action is decreed successful is when you play KRC. If you have a KRC in your hand at that time, then yes you get to play it.

Quote:
Similarly, when I play Shattering Crescendo with 1 Shattering Crescendo in my hand, do I identify that Shattering Crescendo, or is it merely named?

When the Shattering Crescendo is decreed successful (not blocked) is when you discard the additional Shattering Crescendo from your hand.

Quote:
I discard that copy between announcement and resolution, but draw another copy. Do I still get to discard that copy to inflict damage on some minions?

If you draw another before the resolution happens, then you can play both Shattering Crescendo's that you have in your hand. There are cards that specifically prevent you from doing this by saying do not replace until the action is resolved. This card carries no such restriction.

Quote:

Finally, I play Infernal Pursuit and then Concealed Weapon on .44 Magnum. I discard my .44 Magnum to Infernal Pursuit, but I drew another one (say I like the artwork better). Do I equip that "new" .44 Magnum?

Not sure what your question is here, but I'll try to guess.

You play Infernal Pursuit (at superior I'm guessing) and draw another card. You then decide which card to discard. You then play Concealed Weapon and draw another card and discard like before. Lastly you choose the new magnum in your hand (with the better artwork) and equip your minion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pascal Bertrand
msg tools
mb
SC is declared successful before you discard.

Well, the whole idea behing these question was:
Is choosing / name / selecting / ... a card in your hand targetting a specific piece of cardboard, or is it just choosing a name?

I'd go with the second, but I can't find LSJ traces confirming it.

In your answers, you're going with my reading in your first and third answer (CL, CW). Regarding the SC, you're using "the additional SC", which would be clearer if it were "an additional SC".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
who cares
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Are you asking if you can play 2 SCs from your hand to do 4 or 6 damage instead of 2 or 3?

It says you can discard a SC to do that damage. If it intended you to do more than one, it would have been worded:

For every SC you discard deal 2 unpreventable damage.

The SC comment I made was playing the card and then drawing into another SC as you played that card - then you could play both. One for the action itself, the other for dealing the damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seamus O'Toole
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
videopsych wrote:
Are you asking if you can play 2 SCs from your hand to do 4 or 6 damage instead of 2 or 3?

It says you can discard a SC to do that damage. If it intended you to do more than one, it would have been worded:

For every SC you discard deal 2 unpreventable damage.

I could be wrong, but I think you're missing the question.
Suppose the following scenario:
Scout Youngwood has a Learjet.
Scout plays Shattering Crescendo at superior Melpominee targeting two of her preys vampires (discards a card).
Prey attempts to block unexpectedly, and Scout has to play stealth.
For whatever reason, Scouts controller decides that of the cards in his hand at present, the one that he can most afford to discard is his other copy of Shattering Crescendo. He now has no copies in his hand and if the action were to be successful at this point it would fizzle.
Intercept is increased and Scout is able to play more stealth.
From the additional stealth card that she plays, she draws another copy of Shattering Crescendo.

I believe the question being asked is; is it ok to discard this newly drawn copy of Shattering Crescendo to facilitate the resolution of the action, or does it have to be one that was in his hand at the time the action was declared?

For what it's worth, I'm fairly sure the answer is that yes, it is ok, but I'm not absolutely certain.

Also this:
videopsych wrote:

The SC comment I made was playing the card and then drawing into another SC as you played that card - then you could play both. One for the action itself, the other for dealing the damage.

Not true. You have to have a copy of the card in your hand ready to discard before you declare the action (unless you're playing it at Protean).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pascal Bertrand
msg tools
mb
tuathail wrote:
I believe the question being asked is; is it ok to discard this newly drawn copy of Shattering Crescendo to facilitate the resolution of the action, or does it have to be one that was in his hand at the time the action was declared?

For what it's worth, I'm fairly sure the answer is that yes, it is ok, but I'm not absolutely certain.

That was the question indeed. If you want some set-up where the acting guy wouldn't discard the Shattering Crescendo "just for the fun of it", just add a blocking minion with several (6) Raptors (or Masque of Judas), and 1 Toreador's Bane in the acting minion's hand.

The answer above, approved by LSJ, is that you don't need to choose a copy of a card in your hand, but just name it. If, during the process of the action, you get to discard that copy and replace it with another one, then you still must discard a card which name is the chosen one at resolution (and apply the other effects of the action).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.