Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This has been my first Campaign Game. Before, I've played twice the first scenario, once as CP and once as AP, with victory in both cases. One game was by email and the other was live, and this makes a huge difference: I think that this game takes too long to play by email, while playing live is rather smooth.

My opponent was BGG fellow Marc:

Marc Bosch
Spain
Girona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

The Campaign Game was by email (my opponent lives in Equador and I live in Catalonia), and it took from January to June to complete. And it ended in Turn 13 of 17! So a full game ending with Armistice could have taken another month!

Strategy

I took the CP and pursued a strategy of aggressively opposing the Russians while delaying the British. Opposing the Russians meant attacking Persia hard and fast, attacking the weak Russian positions and trading space for time in the places with strong Russian forces.

First steps

Marc was not able to take any Persian VP first, so I took the offset from the 3 VP. He tried hard with several offensives in the Van area, but he failed to exploit any success, and he also failed to maximize the Russian events so the front ended with a stalemate some turns into the game.

Meanwhile, Marc had fortified Egypt after the lessons learned in the playing the short scenario, but somehow failed to mark the pace of the game: I was able to start offensives in the places I wanted when I wanted them. Thus, I activated the war in the Balkans for a total success: Greece allied with the CP, Serbia fell and Romania was out of the game due to the Russian Revolution. So this side of the map was done.

Marc disembarked both in Adana and in Cape Helles but I had taken the precaution to deploy an LCU in Afyon to protect Adana and to build some LCU near Constantinople to protect Gallipolli. This, coupled with some SCU moved by SR blocked the beachheads, that were eventually abandoned by the AP.

Revolution and Revolts

Parvus did not appear until turn 9, a little late, but the Caucas front was static, so that was ok. From turns 10 to 13 I just held the positions while Marc was bringing in more and more British units. I had to cede in Mesopotamia and Marc conquered Baghdad and up to Deir es Zor, but he was blocked there. Meanwhile I had snatched some SCU to Central Asia and Afghanistan and managed to start the Islamic Revolts there. These revolts helped me a lot as they attacked every turn all Russian units possible and drained Marc many resources. Eventually, the Islamic Revolts started in India, though the country did not fell.

Most of the Tribes were on the map near all the time and they helped a lot to halt advancing enemy troops, to disrupt supply and to hold VP.

Final steps

With Stage 4 of the Russian Revolution the front line went from Rize to Julfa and Astara, down to Teheran, Isfahan and Shushter. I had Central Asia and Afghanistan and was fighting in India, Northern Persia, Central Persia and Southern Persia. Marc attacked from Egypt to Gaza but I had LCU both in Gaza and Beersheba, and the line held.

Finally, I conquered Kars and destroyed the fort, going to 19 VP and my last card was Gorlice-Tarnow, reaching 21 VP and Automatic Victory in Fall 1917.

Conclusion

I think that card management is key in this game as I achieved to keep in my deck the cards with most operation points (until the events were really needed) while Marc was drawing all the time the same cards with few operation points. Also I managed to get into Total War three turns before Marc, so I had more cards to choose upon.

Finally, I think that you must plan a lot ahead, knowing where your weak and strong points are, planning where to send your reinforcements, when and how (knowing how you'll move the LCUs is important), and assume that you'll lose terrain as the CP but that does not mean you're losing the game. In the end, only the VP spaces count.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Anderson
United States
Elk Grove Village
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A late game Gorlice/Tarnow for the win?
If there isn't, then there should be some kind of errata there.
Seems pretty cheap to be able to plunk down that card on the AP who has no Russians on the board to send.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
According to the 2009 errata, you can't play Gorlice Tarnow once the Russian Revolution has begun.

[url] http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?233@977.H4HFcQn1rkK.0@.1dd1...[/url]

Unfortunately this aspect of the errata was not embodied in the Living rules. Its still correct as card errata, but it would have been better had I managed to work it into the rules somehow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Anderson
United States
Elk Grove Village
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're right! Living rules IS where I looked first!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not playable? We did not see it in the Living Rules and did not know about this Errata.

Anyway, TU troops were adjacent to two or three VP cities in the Russia area and all the other fronts were quite controlled, so I guess the next turn the result would have been the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
marticabre wrote:
Not playable? We did not see it in the Living Rules and did not know about this Errata.

Anyway, TU troops were adjacent to two or three VP cities in the Russia area and all the other fronts were quite controlled, so I guess the next turn the result would have been the same.

I thought that might be the case. Its hardly your fault that you didn't know about the Errata, its a reasonable assumption that a 2009 Errata will have been superseded by the subsquent living rules.

Of course, there is a good reason for the errata, since otherwise G-T is +2 VPs for nothing if you hold it long enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Philip Thomas wrote:
Of course, there is a good reason for the errata, since otherwise G-T is +2 VPs for nothing if you hold it long enough.

Yep, that's what I did, on purpose. I recycled the card two times, waiting for the Revolution!

I imagined it represented Germany annexating some part of the Russian Empire and thus getting more resources against the West Front... or something like that.

No biggie on our friendly game, but maybe the errata should be more advertised.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely. In fact I will try to prepare a revised (2011) errata soon, an errata which takes its starting point as the Living Rules...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.