Recommend
10 
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Twilight Imperium (Third Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Top 10 Bad Twilight Tactics rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lucas Skinner
United States
KANSAS CITY
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Top 10 Bad Twilight Imperium Tactics!

1. Being the Speaker is overrated.
2. Trade Goods don’t really matter that much.
3. Political Cards rarely influence the game enough for me to worry about saving Influence for the vote.
4. Just one more Tech upgrade and I’ll dominate.
5. Obviously the largest fleet is the key to victory.
6. I plan to win with a huge late game surge that lets me claim my Secret Objective, a Stage 2 Objective and 2 Artifact systems this round for 6 Victory Points and the win!
7. I don’t want to engage in battle, unless I have superior numbers/cards/tech.
8. My Victory hinges on taking and controlling Mecatol Rex because my Secret Objective is essential. But I’m not going to actually attack until I have this massive force that will prevent anyone from taking it back.
9. I’ve been attacked! Time to stop going for objectives until I destroy my attacker.
10. I must build 2 War Suns as soon as possible!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randolph
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well done (and funny)...EXCEPT...for #6. We play exclusively with SC#8 "Imperial II" and scoring 5, 6 & 7 VP's around GT 7 or 8 ("Game Turn" aka Round) generally wins the game.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
And that is the one thing I don't like about our games. Catching up is one thing, scoring 7 VPs in one turn... I don't like that concept.

Players should never be rewarded for being behind. It gives players less incentive to actually score points early, to try to avoid being the leader, since they know they can just score a batch of points at the end to win.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Tank
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Quote:
1. Being the Speaker is overrated.


Granted, the speaker token doesn't seem to matter a whole lot before the final 2 turns or so. During the last couple of turns though, it seems to matter a whole lot. I have won on two separate occasions because I was holder of the speaker token when Rex showed up.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
btanke wrote:
Quote:
1. Being the Speaker is overrated.


Granted, the speaker token doesn't seem to matter a whole lot before the final 2 turns or so. During the last couple of turns though, it seems to matter a whole lot. I have won on two separate occasions because I was holder of the speaker token when Rex showed up.

I think you're missing the point of the list This is a list of BAD Twilight Tactics. IE, assuming Speaker is overrated is a "bad tactic" for the reasons you state

I think the Speaker matters more during the course of the game overall, if nothing else because of choosing your next Strategy Card, which can often make the difference between your plan happening "now" and "later" (and later doesn't always happen)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Garbett
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Will Provide Statistics for Data
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Grand Champ wrote:

10. I must build 2 War Suns as soon as possible!


You're thinking too small. 2 War Suns is nowhere close to enough. The galaxy must tremble before me.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I often found #3 to be true. Which is why I really look forward to playing with representatives and the new Political Cards (with even more impact) from SotT.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Skinner
United States
KANSAS CITY
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
haslo wrote:
I often found #3 to be true. Which is why I really look forward to playing with representatives and the new Political Cards (with even more impact) from SotT.


It depends on your gaming group. Mine really gets into the phase and most of our games have at least one agenda with major impact on the game. Hence the bad tactic to ignore that phase, it means you lose in our games.

But if everyone only saves 3 votes and picks the player across from them I can see it being boring.

I'll try out the new Political Intrigue... but after reading the rules it sounds like an overgrown rock/paper/scissor mini-game. Am I right?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tretiak wrote:
sigmazero13 wrote:
And that is the one thing I don't like about our games. Catching up is one thing, scoring 7 VPs in one turn... I don't like that concept.

Players should never be rewarded for being behind. It gives players less incentive to actually score points early, to try to avoid being the leader, since they know they can just score a batch of points at the end to win.


The Preliminary Objectives in SotT seem to fix that.

They help a little. They don't make it "better" really, as it doesn't change the "hold back and stay out of the lead" dynamic.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randolph
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha Ha Ha Sigma, yeah in our "Veteran Cut-throat" gamer group, being in the lead means plastering a giant target on your forehead! I once led with the L1Z1X Mindnet in 1st place with [10] VP's at GT 5, with the next closest player at [6] VP's, and next I knew I was fighting every player in the game! OUCH!!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Clark
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Grand Champ wrote:
Top 10 Bad Twilight Imperium Tactics!

3. Political Cards rarely influence the game enough for me to worry about saving Influence for the vote.



I wish I could agree with you but I can't. Political Cards 'rarely' influence the game much - and by 'rarely' I mean that the political cards influence only one game in three-ish. That is, you can totally ignore Political and generally it won't matter much, although once in a while it will matter a lot.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SFRR wrote:
Ha Ha Ha Sigma, yeah in our "Veteran Cut-throat" gamer group, being in the lead means plastering a giant target on your forehead! I once led with the L1Z1X Mindnet in 1st place with [10] VP's at GT 5, with the next closest player at [6] VP's, and next I knew I was fighting every player in the game! OUCH!!

If we played with a variant where you could only claim 2 objectives per turn, it would certainly cut that aspect out It's still enough to climb for a comeback, but not enough where you could just do it all at once.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Park Previs
United States
Mechanicsville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
johnclark wrote:
Grand Champ wrote:
Top 10 Bad Twilight Imperium Tactics!

3. Political Cards rarely influence the game enough for me to worry about saving Influence for the vote.



I wish I could agree with you but I can't. Political Cards 'rarely' influence the game much - and by 'rarely' I mean that the political cards influence only one game in three-ish. That is, you can totally ignore Political and generally it won't matter much, although once in a while it will matter a lot.


my group used to be like this, but as we have played more and more, every player has learned that this phase can be crucial to the outcome of the game. we used to just pick to vote on laws or items that had little impact, and we would move on. however, in our last few games, the last one in particular, we have chosen to vote on objectives that have more of an impact. like, providing more VP's, or forcing players to change strategies because of certain laws.

we play with the ASSEMBLY strategy card, so that helps us sift through the deck a bit, and makes it easier to choose more meaningful agendas since each player has a hand of cards.

i don't know if it matters much, or not, but we have also created a house rule that for each political card that you draw, you receive one trade good. we came up with this instead of spending political cards as trade goods. it lets each player retain his hand of political cards and still spend the trade goods. to us, it is simpler and not game-breaking.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greycloak
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
i don't know if it matters much, or not, but we have also created a house rule that for each political card that you draw, you receive one trade good. we came up with this instead of spending political cards as trade goods. it lets each player retain his hand of political cards and still spend the trade goods. to us, it is simpler and not game-breaking.


Wow. This is an awesome idea, we'll use it on our next game in two weeks.

With us we had people trading away their PCs almost as soon as they got them. Then when assembly came around, there were very little PCs in everyone's hand. Basically the PC deck became a "safe" TG stack (from all the nasty ACs that hit up TGs).

Then we tried something along the lines of what Shattered Ascension uses, where everyone places one PC in a common area, and those may be chosen from, but we found the mechanics a bit of a kludge.

The last game, we just ruled that you could not discard your last PC as a TG. That worked out ok...

I really like your idea though.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.