Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been needing to catch up on my arthouse film watching. So many big name movies out it's hard to keep up. But I've made a list of interesting films that I might want to see. Has anyone seen any of these that could comment on if they are worth getting? Or are there any you would recommend that is not on this list that has came out in the last year or two? I also like foreign films as well.

Paper Man

Greenberg

Youth in Revolt

Odine

Stone

My Last Five Girlfriends

The Good Heart

Black

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serious? Lee
United States
Coppell
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Lost in thought.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm woefully behind in my Netflix queue as well, but I would add one to your list worth watching. Check out 'Exit Through the Gift Shop' for an intriguing look at street art.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Youth in Revolt was o.k., watchable if only to see Michael Cera playing "Michael Cera" as well as a couple of flashes of him as François Dillinger, troublemaking Michael Cera with a mustache.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
leemc13 wrote:
I'm woefully behind in my Netflix queue as well, but I would add one to your list worth watching. Check out 'Exit Through the Gift Shop' for an intriguing look at street art.

Yeah, that is an interesting documentary. I watched it off netflix a while back, as well as Jean-Michel Basquiat: The Radiant Child which was also an interesting look at a street artist from even an earlier perspective.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skelebone wrote:
Youth in Revolt was o.k., watchable if only to see Michael Cera playing "Michael Cera" as well as a couple of flashes of him as François Dillinger, troublemaking Michael Cera with a mustache.

Yeah, Cera seems to have one mode of acting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Eager
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
DBA Junkie
badge
"A Book should serve as the Ax for the frozen sea within us."-- KAFKA
mbmbmbmbmb
goo I found Stone somewhat disappointing, given the caliber of the actors involved. Milla's plenty sexy and all, but listening to Ed Norton mush-mouthing his way through the ebonics-heavy dialog was pretty painful.
I think the best arthouse movie I've seen in the last few years isn't that recent at all (1991). It's Lars Von Trier's Europa--a surreal journey through post-WWII Germany. Fantastic flick. goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only one on that list I've seen is Greenberg and I liked it more than I was expecting. Ben Stiller brings a likability to a somewhat abrasive character, and he delivers a great tirade to a group of twenty-somethings. Another one I enjoyed from last year is Cyrus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Chen
United States
Green Bay
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
This looks tasty...
badge
Yuck!
mbmbmbmbmb
cabalzero wrote:
goo I found Stone somewhat disappointing, given the caliber of the actors involved. Milla's plenty sexy and all, but listening to Ed Norton mush-mouthing his way through the ebonics-heavy dialog was pretty painful.
I think the best arthouse movie I've seen in the last few years isn't that recent at all (1991). It's Lars Von Trier's Europa--a surreal journey through post-WWII Germany. Fantastic flick. goo

I'd avoid Stone like a plague. I thought it'd be half decent as well, but we never finished it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
leemc13 wrote:

Yeah, that is an interesting documentary. I watched it off netflix a while back, as well as Jean-Michel Basquiat: The Radiant Child which was also an interesting look at a street artist from even an earlier perspective.

Check out Downtown '81. It was a small, generally plotless film starring Basquiat. Though not a documentary, it's an amazing look at the NYC music and art scene in the early 80s (when the East Village looked like it had been bombed).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Browne
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if this fits your definition of "Arthouse," Mike, but have you seen "Let the Right One In"?

I also recommend the trilogy that starts with "Girl With the Dragon Tattoo."

Both good foreign films that have gotten Americanized versions, but good in their original language.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grimstax wrote:
I don't know if this fits your definition of "Arthouse," Mike, but have you seen "Let the Right One In"?

I also recommend the trilogy that starts with "Girl With the Dragon Tattoo."

Both good foreign films that have gotten Americanized versions, but good in their original language.

Yeah, all are very good. My wife and I sat home one night and watched all three installments of the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo in a row. She read all the books. I saw Let the Right one In last year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TrojanDan wrote:
cabalzero wrote:

I'd avoid Stone like a plague. I thought it'd be half decent as well, but we never finished it.

Looks like Stone is out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
skelebone wrote:

Yeah, Cera seems to have one mode of acting.

George Michael?

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Browne
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you seen "The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada"? It is directed by, and stars, Tommy Lee Jones. Good movie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grimstax wrote:
Have you seen "The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada"? It is directed by, and stars, Tommy Lee Jones. Good movie.

I haven't, but it looks pretty cool. Will have to put that on the queue. Reminds me of "Lone Star".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Browne
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Three Burials has some confusing time shifting going on in the early part, but when the main story kicks in, it's a great film. So stick with it if you are having trouble in the beginning. I think you guys will like it. It was marketed as a kind of western, but it's really something unique.

I'm assuming you've already seen it as it's more than a couple of years old, but "Magnolia" should be on your must see list if it isn't. I'll keep an eye out for other stuff.

Seen "Sophie Scholl: The Last Days?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I went through a heavy arthouse phase in college and was completely blown away by Peter Greenaway. He's arrogant, impulsive, weird, and obviously a complete tool... but some of his films contain absolutely memorable images. It's like performance art with a storyline... a bizarre and usually repulsive storyline.

two of my favorites...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grimstax wrote:

Seen "Sophie Scholl: The Last Days?"

I am giving you the IMDB links:

Sopie School: The Final Days (2005)

The Lives of Others

The Counterfeiters (2007)

Volver

Paris Je T'Aime

We enjoyed these Chinese Cinema titles:
Not One Less
The Story of Qui Ju
Happy Times

I am a fan of director Alain Resnais and recommend "Last Year at Marienbad" and "Hiroshima Mon Amour" - but searching his page I saw lots of interesting titles I need to check out on Netflix.

Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serious? Lee
United States
Coppell
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Lost in thought.
mbmbmbmbmb
stagger lee wrote:
I went through a heavy arthouse phase in college and was completely blown away by Peter Greenaway. He's arrogant, impulsive, weird, and obviously a complete tool... but some of his films contain absolutely memorable images. It's like performance art with a storyline... a bizarre and usually repulsive storyline.

two of my favorites...

"The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover"

This one is disturbingly good. I've wanted to watch it again for some time so I was glad to finally find it available to view through Netflix. I'd second this recommendation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:
Check out Downtown '81. It was a small, generally plotless film starring Basquiat. Though not a documentary, it's an amazing look at the NYC music and art scene in the early 80s (when the East Village looked like it had been bombed).

From my favorite period of music 'No Wave'. While I was only a kid at the time this film was made I now have several friends that were active in the East Village squatter and art scene back then... have played in bands with some of them.

I will also suggest: The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover

some others old and new...

Living Wake
The Girl From Monday (and most Hal Hartley films)
Careful (and most Guy Madden films)
Stingray Sam
Marwencol
After Life (1998 Japanese film)
The Cube (the 1969 Jim Henson film)
Rubin and Ed
Wax - or the Discovery of Television By the Bees
Dogville
How to Get Ahead in Advertising
The Tin Drum

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Documentaries:

Man on a Wire
Supersize Me
March of the Penguins
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
leemc13 wrote:
stagger lee wrote:

two of my favorites...

"The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover"

This one is disturbingly good. I've wanted to watch it again for some time so I was glad to finally find it available to view through Netflix. I'd second this recommendation.

The Michael Nyman soundtrack is one my all-time favorites.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.