Popular Tags: [View All]
Taylor Nakamoto
United States
Montrose
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the opportunity to trade my copy of Gunslinger for Goa. I've never played, but am sure I'd like it from what I've read. My question is: should I wait for the promised reprint with the updated rules, or make this trade for the original?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pereira
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
See the person next to you? Kill! Kill!!! KILLL!!!!
badge
I'm your baby! Can you feel it?
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as I know, the reprint is "Made in China" and the component quality is, from what I heard and read, poorer then the original one (I own and am deeply satisfied with)... One thing I am totally unaware of is any change in the rules... so if that is a big deal for you...

Otherwise, go for the original!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chef D
United States
US Armed Forces - Americas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Otomakan wrote:
I have the opportunity to trade my copy of Gunslinger for Goa. I've never played, but am sure I'd like it from what I've read. My question is: should I wait for the promised reprint with the updated rules, or make this trade for the original?

It depends on which printing. I would say that if it is the Rio Grande/Hans im Gluck edition printed in Germany than I say that it is a decent trade. If it is the Rio Grande printed in China I would say that you might want to hold out. That is unless you really want the game. In terms of the quality, they actually are both pretty good. The Chinese version has slightly a slightly more aggressive linen finish. The insert also isn't quite as good. Other than that, it is quite playable and most people other than die hard collectors or players would really make a stink about it. The biggest question, is how much do you want Goa. There will probably be a slight market drop when the new edition comes to market, but it will probably then go up because people will inevitably have some gripes over the quality or the new rules that are to be introduced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The China version is fine. I have it and I don't know where this "inferior manufacturing" nonsense started, but that's what it is, nonsense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pereira
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry but I disagree. So far I was able to detect every game in my collection that is made in China by holding the components, and the quality is some cases is good (Chaos in the Old World, Warrior Knights) in some other cases it's just garbage (Rosenkönig tin-box edition, Mystery Express, just a few).

It's not just the linen finish, but also the wood density of wooden components, cardboard is generally less compact and feels like it's going to fall apart, and also the boards are often less sturdier.

For some it's just nonsense, some other simply like to have the "slightly" better quality... it's like wine, some don't seem to feel the difference... but in the end, it's just a matter of personal taste... I prefer made in Germany any day! Makes all the difference to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor Nakamoto
United States
Montrose
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I appreciate the responses! Just to be clear, the versions I was refernecing in the original post were the 'current' version (including the German AND Chinese productions) and the fabled 'new' version, which is expected in November and incorporates changes from the designer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pedrator wrote:
Sorry but I disagree. So far I was able to detect every game in my collection that is made in China by holding the components, and the quality is some cases is good (Chaos in the Old World, Warrior Knights) in some other cases it's just garbage (Rosenkönig tin-box edition, Mystery Express, just a few).

It's not just the linen finish, but also the wood density of wooden components, cardboard is generally less compact and feels like it's going to fall apart, and also the boards are often less sturdier.

For some it's just nonsense, some other simply like to have the "slightly" better quality... it's like wine, some don't seem to feel the difference... but in the end, it's just a matter of personal taste... I prefer made in Germany any day! Makes all the difference to me.

Heh, the "my senses are more refined" argument.
Ok.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pereira
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
not a matter of more or less refined, nor a matter of me or you... just a matter of what's important to each... density of wood is not a matter of opinion... but you can like it or not...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chef D
United States
US Armed Forces - Americas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pedrator wrote:
but also the wood density of wooden components, cardboard is generally less compact and feels like it's going to fall apart, and also the boards are often less sturdier.

I didn't find this to be the case. In fact I owned a copy of each at one time and there was "no" difference between the quality of the cardboard and the wooden components. Maybe others have had that issue, but I could find it no where. I did fail to mention that the only only negligible difference that I found was the color saturation of the cards and the board. The Chinese version was ever so slightly less color saturated. Not by much but just a tad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I'd wait (and am). Very few newer versions turn out to be inferior to the old versions. And this one will have important rules and components tweakings. And you usually end up paying more for the older inferior version (such as my Betrayal at House on the Hill and Railroad Tycoon, though I didn't spend too much for them, I do regret not just waiting for them).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's the same game. If you want Goa trade for it.

Play it. Love it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
locusshifter wrote:
It's the same game.

Well, it's not quite the same. I guess it comes down to how many of the upcoming changes are significant to the buyer. And there are more changes than what's listed there. New edition details

Mike and Alex are pretty experienced, so their thoughts that these are worthy changes has me convinced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cook
United States
Spanaway
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Im waiting to get the reprint as a Christmas present
I have lots of other fun games to play while I wait.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.