Popular Tags: [View All]
jakub praibis
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
Setup
Staging Area: Forest Spiders, Old Forest Road
Ana’s Heroes: Bilbo, Glorfindel, Legolas (Initial Threat 31)
Ana’s Hand: Blade Mastery, Gandalf, Feint (2), Forest Snare, Sneak Attack
Jakub’s Heroes: Aragorn, Dúnhere, Théodred (Initial Threat 28)
Jakub's Hand: Beorn, Celebrian’s Stone, Ever Vigilant, For Gondor!, Stand and Fight (2)
Round 1
Ana Draw: Protector of Lórien, Quick Strike
Jakub Draw: Gandalf
Planning: Ana plays Protector of Lórien on Aragorn; Jakub plays Celebrian’s Stone on Aragorn
Quest Assignment: Ana assigns Bilbo and Glorfindel; Jakub assigns Aragorn and Théodred; Théodred gives 1 resource to Aragorn, Aragorn uses 1 resource to ready himself
Staging: Chieftain Ufthak, The Necromancer’s Reach (affects Bilbo, Glorfindel, Théodred)
Quest Resolution: Threat 5 vs Willpower 9; Jakub discards Beorn, For Gondor!, Stand and Fight (2) through Protector of Lórien to boost the Willpower to 13
Advancing to the second stage of the Quest.
Jakub engages Forest Spider, Aragorn defends, Shadow effect raises defending player’s Threat by 4, Aragorn receives 1 damage; Dúnhere and Legolas attack and destroy Forest Spider.
Advancing to the third stage of the Quest. “Don’t Leave the Path” drawn as the third stage.
Forest Spider and Ungoliant’s Spawn added to the Staging Area.
Round 2
Ana Draw: Blade of Gondolin
Jakub Draw: Sneak Attack, For Gondor!
Quest Assignment: Ana assigns Bilbo and Glorfindel; Jakub assigns Aragorn and Théodred; Théodred gives 1 resource to Aragorn, Aragorn uses 1 resource to ready himself
Staging: Dol Guldur Beastmaster, Great Forest Web
Quest Resolution: Threat 12 vs Willpower 9; Jakub discards Ever Vigilant, For Gondor! through Protector of Lórien to boost the Willpower to 11; each player raises his Threat by 1
Jakub engages Ungoliant’s Spawn, Ana engages Forest Spider.
Ana plays Feint on Forest Spider, Ana plays Feint on Ungoliant’s Spawn, Jakub plays Sneak Attack and places Gandalf into play (and reduces Threat by 5); Aragorn, Dúnhere, Gandalf and Legolas attack and destroy Ungoliant’s Spawn.
Winning the game.
Final Stats:
Damage: 1 on Aragorn, Bilbo, Glorfindel, Théodred
Ana's Threat 33, Jakub's Threat 29
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jakub praibis
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
After I'd finished the game I theorized about possibilities of making it in one round. It is possible. With these decks, the Lore-Tactics player needs Protector of Lorien twice and the Leadership-Spirit player needs Gandalf and Sneak Attack. Ungoliant's Spawn (and preferably a Treachery like the Necromancer's Reach or Caught in a Web but also Old Forest Road, for instance) needs to be revealed during Staging. The rest is pretty obvious. But the chances to draw all of this are so low that I will never hope to get it. I may not even try Mirkwood many more times, as I was very happy to be lucky enough to make it in two rounds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Fanchi
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is why the wife and I reveal 3 encounter cards every turn when we play this quest, otherwise it's a walk in the park (or perhaps a walk in the forest).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Ramundi
Canada
Cornwall
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AdmiralACF wrote:
This is why the wife and I reveal 3 encounter cards every turn when we play this quest, otherwise it's a walk in the park (or perhaps a walk in the forest).
It true.

Even the Journey Along the Anduin is pretty easy with two players--if you have the right heroes/decks, that is.

Did it for the first time tonight with a couple of decks I pondered over this afternoon. They destroyed it. Finished the quest with a final score of 38.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jakub praibis
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
Ok, but then consider how it is with three players...TOO easy. I have mostly played a 2 player whilst looking forward to be trying 3 player. Once I finally did I think I never will again until the new quests (where the scaling may be much better I feel and hope) are available.

It is perhaps most easily visible with the Dol Guldur scenario. In solo you have 2 Heroes out of 3, 2p you get 5 out of 6, 3p 8 out of 9, which is not a big deal any more. Ok, you can only combined play one Ally, which is smart but doesn't in fact make up the difficulty. Especially when someone, like us, have decks that are not very Ally heavy.

As I said I feel that with cards like the hunters or the previewed location, this whole issue may be less of a problem. As it is now I stick with the 2 player coop, mostly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Butler
United States
Fort Walton Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure it's impossible to win in 2 or fewer turns...unless you had a hero or card to help you advance extra, I am not familiar with all the cards yet.

The second part of the quest, I thought, requires 2 foot tokens? Since excess foot tokens can't carry over from part 1 to part 2, this could not have taken place until the next quest phase, I thought. (Although there may be cards I don't know about that affect this.)

The third part of the quest, I thought, required either 10 travels which don't carry over or a battle with Ungoliant...and I doubt after questing to advance to phase 3 you can kill Ungoliant same turn!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
butsam wrote:
I'm pretty sure it's impossible to win in 2 or fewer turns...unless you had a hero or card to help you advance extra, I am not familiar with all the cars yet.

The second part of the quest, I thought, requires 2 travels? Since travel can't carry over from part 1 to part 2, this could not have taken place until the next travel phase, I thought.

You could get Legolas involved in a kill, netting 2 progress tokens to pass Stage 2 and completing it during the Hero Attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Butler
United States
Fort Walton Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:

You could get Legolas involved in a kill, netting 2 progress tokens to pass Stage 2 and completing it during the Hero Attack.

That's the key I'm missing. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.