Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
This was my second game of Dorn, Sarah's second, and Mick and Pat's first. Sarah took control of three heroes, and looked on in dismay as Mick and Pat wandered into the unexplored areas of the board alone. You could see how well Pat understood the game by the fact he used his Blessing on the very first turn (to move an extra 10 squares) to get to the treasure first.

Yes, they got a few treasures, but meanwhile I (the Dornmaster) was amassing my evil horde in the ritual room.

Pat eventually came back to rejoin the others, but then darted off to pick up the third relic, and discovered that I could surround him with two ghosts and a mummy. Yes, he couldn't attack. He was on a healing fountain, but once the gorgon joined in, his hero's death was assured. It just might take a bit of time.

Meanwhile, back in the ritual chamber, the other heroes were killing some monsters but finding they were taking too much damage in return. I slew their cleric, and then looked on in amusement as Sarah forgot that the character who had just entered the ritual room was carrying the third relic... and the doors were opening to the third-level necromancer and OVERLORD OF ALL! ZORKAL! ZORKAL! ZORKAL!

After that, it wasn't very pretty. Zorkal can be taken down, I know he can, but you need more than one character surviving. It didn't take that long for the game to end - something I think all the hero players were relieved by.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
A fan of new Knizia games
mbmbmbmbmb
MerricB wrote:
It didn't take that long for the game to end - something I think all the hero players were relieved by.

Yep, once the slide starts...

Fun report. And I agree with the title.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Ardianto
Indonesia
DKI Jakarta - Jakarta Utara
flag msg tools
badge
https://www.facebook.com/gopopnow
mbmbmbmbmb
i agree with you... to play dorn as heroes, you must stay in the band. i played it twice and the party just got separated by their selfish need. and we all got butchered.
Therefore i believe heroes must stay in party and watch each others back...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have done poorly when the heroes separate. I did not focus the monsters and seperated my own forces. Plus some of the expansion heroes are tough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chaplin
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Ice-choked tower, Mondavia, Nanglangka.
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have seen the Dornkeeper beaten a couple of times by a fellowship that split in two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ignatius Jopy
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed with Mark said. Banding together in one place also limiting the movement of the heroes. But being said, this condition seems affected by ritual card played by Dornkeeper. In my second game, I played the keeper where the hero split and butchered one by one (nice try vardamir, but you cannot escape my bloodthirst minotaur hehe). In my fourth game, I played as hero and decide that we should banding together. The keeper then decided to block the entry (with single corridor spaces) with bogbeast and skeleton and able to collect blooddrop bit-by-bit since only one/two hero able to attack. After this he cast ritual that allow bog monster attack and move by the same time, attacking from the rear. The result? hero lose again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Rooks
Japan
Kobe
Hyogo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great session report, thanks for sharing. I recently picked this game up after reading reviews and sessions like this one, and really love the game.

One question here:

MerricB wrote:
He was on a healing fountain, but once the gorgon joined in, his hero's death was assured.

Doesn't the rulebook state that heroes cannot be attacked while on healing fountains and outer paths?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Evanson
United States
Belgrade
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules
From the rules, Chapter 13. Game Board:
Healing Fountains - If a hero stands on one of the two Healing fountains at the end of his turn, he can heal up to two of his lost hit points. Monsters can attack a hero standing on a Healing fountain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Rooks
Japan
Kobe
Hyogo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for clearing that up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.