Subject: Matching Discovery Token Bonus rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert R
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On page 16 under The Final Effort it states that you can discard any matching Discovery Tokens to add the bonus shown on the token. Now, I know what matching Discovery Tokens are, but I don't know what bonus they are talking about. How would discarding, say, The Artifact at The Artifacts mission (for example) help me?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Fanchi
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me preface by saying I don't yet own the game, but it appears from the rulebook that some missions will list a certain type of artifact that can be used for a bonus with the mission. Page 17 gives of an example of a mission that lists the Analysis skill and Dilithium Samples as being two bonuses that can be used for that mission. I believe this is what is meant by "matching" Discovery Tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Rubbo
United States
Philadelphia
PA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MordorFrodo wrote:
How would discarding, say, The Artifact at The Artifacts mission (for example) help me?

It will not. If you discard "Ambassador: Discard for +3 to a Command challenge" at a matching (Command) challenge, though, that will help you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Duby
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
If you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. (Romans 10:9)
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's something I missed in my first game.

Apparently, when you discard a token for a bonus (i.e., Klingon Transmitter, etc.), you get the +1 bonus plus the +3 bonus for discarding it. So you add the two bonuses together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Ouimet
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is how we played.

What they mean by "Matching Discovery Token" is a token that matches one of the two "skills" required.

For example, the "Rebel Spy" Captain's Log Supplemental card has the following two skills:
Comunications
Rebel Items

Now Rebel Items is not really a skill. It means that any token that is listed as Rebel Items as a title can add a bonus of +2.

So, if you have, or example,the token called Rebel Item that has the effect "Discard to draw 2 Energize cards.", you will receive a bonus of +2 to the Rebel Spy challenge because it is a "Matching Discovery Token" because its title is Rebel Items and the Captain's Log Supplemental card has Rebel Items as one of the skils.

Now, if, after rolling the dice and calculating the results, you find that you still need more, you can discard the Rebel Items token and get whatever the bonus is listed.

I took that to mean that, in the above example, you would get a bonus of 2 to attempting the chalenge since the token gives "to draw 2 energize". So I figure the bonus is 2. The other bonus to discard is not gained as this bonus could be used anytime.

The rules are pretty unclear, but I believe I am correct as to the "Matching Discovery Token" part. I'm just not sure as to the bonus part.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Calaway
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DeltaDemon wrote:
This is how we played.

What they mean by "Matching Discovery Token" is a token that matches one of the two "skills" required.

For example, the "Rebel Spy" Captain's Log Supplemental card has the following two skills:
Comunications
Rebel Items

Now Rebel Items is not really a skill. It means that any token that is listed as Rebel Items as a title can add a bonus of +2.

So, if you have, or example,the token called Rebel Item that has the effect "Discard to draw 2 Energize cards.", you will receive a bonus of +2 to the Rebel Spy challenge because it is a "Matching Discovery Token" because its title is Rebel Items and the Captain's Log Supplemental card has Rebel Items as one of the skils.

Now, if, after rolling the dice and calculating the results, you find that you still need more, you can discard the Rebel Items token and get whatever the bonus is listed.

I took that to mean that, in the above example, you would get a bonus of 2 to attempting the chalenge since the token gives "to draw 2 energize". So I figure the bonus is 2. The other bonus to discard is not gained as this bonus could be used anytime.

The rules are pretty unclear, but I believe I am correct as to the "Matching Discovery Token" part. I'm just not sure as to the bonus part.

I disagree.

Rebel Items discarded will not give you +2 on your challenge. As someone stated earlier The Minister, Scientist, Amassador and Dilithium Engineer are the only ones that will give a bonus to your challenge when dicarded and the bonus is +3 except for the minister which is +2. Discarding a Rebel item will only get you two energize cards. Of course the color needs to match too, except for the Minister which can help any color challenge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.