Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Snappy Dan
United States
Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to know from those who've played in my games or followed them whether they prefer to have the '?' coins displayed or not displayed in a Hidden VP game. Do they really help you gauge who's winning/losing? I would still display those tokens that could not be hidden while playing around a table, such as Pots of Gold and Leaders. So, please vote!

EDIT: To be clear, "Not displayed" means '?' and numbered VP coins would not be displayed. It doesn't mean revealed VPs.

Poll
In Mysterio's PBF Small World games with Hidden VPs, do you prefer that '?' coins be displayed or not displayed?
Displayed
Not displayed
      27 answers
Poll created by Mysterio

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Wagner Hansen
Denmark
Sorø
flag msg tools
designer
Any time, any place!
badge
Fingers off, that's my car!
mbmbmbmbmb
I find it absurd playing with hidden VP in a PBF game. Sure I, or any other player, can promise to not keep score, but how can anybody check it.

A PBF game takes way to long for me to remember anything past my last move, where as I have friends who would be able to remember exctly how many points every player has.

Is it also illegal to read back in the posts? I won't write it down, I'll just re-ead every post, and thus be able to calculate the scores.

So far I've avoided the hidden VP games, bacause I can't see that it makes any sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snappy Dan
United States
Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
l-hansen wrote:
Is it also illegal to read back in the posts? I won't write it down, I'll just re-ead every post, and thus be able to calculate the scores.

Yes.

Obviously, the Hidden VPs system relies on the honor system. But if it's suspected that a player's not using the honor system, then he'll quickly find himself ostracized from the Hidden VPs games.

I'd be interested in hearing opinions from others who've played in or followed games with Hidden VPs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Perkins
United States
Monroe Twp
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
I think the trouble with the ? tokens is that some of them get changed back in for others (like when you have to spend 3 to get a race combo, and your last token was a 10, so now your one 10 token is swapped for a 5 and two 1s, making you look richer than you are). So I voted to not display them.

It's not a huge deal either way for me, though!

Also: yeah, honor system. You'd have to be a real pudlick to keep secret score in an online board game when everyone has promised not to do it. So I trust folks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snappy Dan
United States
Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The voting is pretty close, so I suppose '?' coins will remain for now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.