Popular Tags: [View All]
Will Brasher
United Kingdom
Birmingham
flag msg tools
HER!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After playing two games, a two player and a three player, I don’t feel I can do a review any justice as we are still exploring the strategies but maybe a double session report is in order!

First game I managed to get Dave round and I explained the game to him and so our epic struggle for dominion began. As we started I was very open with how the game worked and we discussed options every turn so we could get a good feel for the game. Things progressed all quietly as we built up power bases at each end of the board until our Techs started affecting the way we played and we began to get quite close to each other. I happened to get Troop Tech up quickly so concentrated on spreading out to maximise my recruiting. Dave was going through Move Tech and was happy to practice lots of flicking and liked the fact he could correct his errors in movement.

As I was recruiting faster and had the Level 2 Troop Tech I chose to build up some cities (in different quadrants) and gain extra troops to play to my strengths. Dave was going for the Level 1 All Tech bonus for the supply boost using his Move Tech to the Maximum.

Dave started using his increased ship count to dominate my planets and managed a couple of 4 ship planet take down manoeuvres. By this time I had managed to max out my Troop Tech and had planned badly on troop placement so found it hard to have enough troops to use it to its maximum potential. I had low Tech in all other areas too to get my Level 1 Supply bonus. I tried to keep up with his ship count but was always behind, perhaps that wasn’t playing to my strengths but I couldn’t let him dominate space.

Around this time I had managed to get the 3 quadrant bonus and foolishly pointed it out to Dave, it was his first game and I didn’t want him to lose as he wasn’t fully aware of the rules. I started to mine a bit, get up my colony count, use my Level 4 Troop Tech to steal empty planets and to score more in game VP to end the game. While I did I let Dave have free run (foolishly) and he also got his 3 quadrant bonus. I didn’t count up the VPs and managed to collect the last token. Dave took his last turn and on his last flick undershot and missed out on 3 VP. We added up the points and it turned out I beat him by, yup, you guessed it... 3 VP. Dave would have won as he had collected more VP in the game, if only that flick had been just enough to get his ship into orbit!

Dave is now a big believer in getting the Level 1 & 2 Tech supply bonuses and I’m quite fond of maxing out a Tech and using it wisely. Obviously not all games will turn out that way but we all have our preferred tactics.

Second game review will follow laters!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Conradie
Canada
Rossland
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the session report Will. Any issues with the seams of your board?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Brasher
United Kingdom
Birmingham
flag msg tools
HER!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No major issues but as we've never really played a dexterity game before it's a bit early to tell, we're still getting used to the mechanic. In the second game we played there were a few cases of obvious deflect but there was also plenty of long range shots which went perfectly. I'd say you've got to hold down the join on the shots that really matter, just to be on the safe side. You probably don't want to hear that but IMO if you pass this game by because of the board you'd be missing out on a great strategy dexterity game with good theme too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.