Popular Tags: [View All]
HERMANN LUTTMANN
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all!

As I prepare a new DotZ AAR from my horrific attempt to beat the game last night, a few minor points came up that may need clarification. These have since been updated into the rules by the lovely Noelle, but for those of you with pre-pub copies, here you go:

1) On page 4, the "Supplies" marker on the Civ unit illustrated there is supposed to be a "Casualties" marker.

2) [10.3.2] Mayhem - 2nd paragraph - "Player units cannot enter a Chaos space ...."

At the end, add: "(except Pickles who may enter those spaces)."

This came up during the game and may be unclear in the rules. Pickles can enter, leave and remain with a Chaos marker - he just can't Restore Order or Forage there until the marker is removed by another unit. And remember - no stacking!

3) Page 6 - Applying Retreats - center column of page - "If units are found to retreat into a space with another enemy unit .."

Add here "(or cannot complete their retreat from the current space)" ...

With my wonderful luck, I managed to pull the "Collapsed Bridge" Fate Card and then in the same turn (!!!) had to retreat from Beauxville. Well, I couldn't because of the bridge being out, so the combat in Beauxville has to be fought again (and then until the Zeds are beaten or the player unit is eliminated).

That's it! I'll post the AAR over the weekend. I hope that you're enjoying the game. Hermann
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
HORST324 wrote:
And remember - no stacking!

This is the rule I keep forgetting, aaargh!

HORST324 wrote:
I hope that you're enjoying the game.

Very much so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HERMANN LUTTMANN
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Steve. Wait until you read my AAR! Just to give you a hint, it's entitled "How to Lose at DotZ in 20 Cards or Less". Some of the stuff that happens to me in this game is unbelievable - it hates me. Herm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll definitely look forward to the AAR, but can the Humans' situation be any worse than our game at the CSW Expo?:

--Pickles couldn't find a dog bone, let alone supplies and ammo.

--Losing my sniper Captain Piazza at the Nuclear Plant.

--How about THREE Zed groups (20 strength total) on the Forest track at the same time.

--Professor Agee making good research progress but then spilling chemicals on herself, and next perishing in a Lab accident.

--Mr. Johnson blasting away (and rapidly consuming shells) only to be overrun by Zeds.

--Having my Civilians desperately trying to hold the barricades against advancing zombie hordes.

--Dealing with one Outbreak after another. Look, there's more of them!

--Sheriff Hunt being wounded at the Mine, then having Doc Seaver patch him up, only to return to the Town and seeing just how hopeless the situation was (lucky he had one more round in the chamber).

What a memorable narrative this game tells. You know you've got a real winner when you get torn apart, yet still enjoy the game immensely.

Wait till Zeds hits general release, you're going to have a monster (sorry, bad pun) hit on your hands...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HERMANN LUTTMANN
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
HA! Just wait ...
There is SOMETHING about that Forest Track - it just breeds them. And yes, if I can be proud of anything, it's that the game kicks your ass and you still walk away smiling and ready to tell the story of how it humbled you. Thanks, my friend! Hermann
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(Mr.) Kim Beattie
United States
Rocklin
CA
flag msg tools
Embrace your inner geek!
badge
In Flanders fields the poppies blow Between the crosses, row on row, That mark our place; and in the sky The larks, still bravely singing, fly Scarce heard amid the guns below.
mbmbmbmbmb
HORST324 wrote:
Hello all!
This came up during the game and may be unclear in the rules. Pickles can enter, leave and remain with a Chaos marker - he just can't Restore Order or Forage there until the marker is removed by another unit. And remember - no stacking!

Definitely not clear in the 1.0 rules. While I assumed Pickles could enter a Chaos space due to the text on the Hero card, I didn't see anything in the rules that prohibited Pickles from foraging in a Chaos space. (Of course I could have missed the reference.) So I think this should clearly be stated in the rules.

P.S. I assumed Pickles was a she. Aren't the smartest dogs always female?

P.P.S. Don't know if you can do anything about this, but shouldn't this post and the corrections post be in the "Rules" forum? The "News" forum is not where I would expect to find Rules related discussion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HERMANN LUTTMANN
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, Kim, good suggestion. When the game is "officially" released, I'll re-post an FAQ and clarifications summary under "Rules". As far as Pickles' sex goes - well, we keep it a secret so players can choose the one they like. As far as Foraging is concerned, I don't have the rules in front of me but I believe there is a reference that Foraging can't be done in a Zed-controlled space, thus Pickles could not either (Chaos spaces are Zeds-controlled).
Thanks!
Hermann

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.