Philip duBarry
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We are looking for someone who can translate the rules for Kingdom of Solomon into German before Essen. You will receive a free copy of the game for your help! Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Five years ago, I probably could have, but my German is way too rusty these days. I really should brush up on that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip duBarry
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had two years of German in high school, but that wouldn't help much--unless the rules were mainly about crossing the street or going to your house: Ich gehe in der stadt und zu hause!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Or.. now you have something to use that extra 24% you were funded for Kickstarter on!

(seriously, it is a little tacky to have a press release that you got more funding than you asked for at the same time you are asking someone to spend the time translating a game into another language for peanuts.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="snicholson"]Or.. now you have something to use that extra 24% you were funded for Kickstarter on!

(seriously, it is a little tacky to have a press release that you got more funding than you asked for at the same time you are asking someone to spend the time translating a game into another language for peanuts.)/q]
I'm sure there are folks who might be willing to do it for free if only to have their names in the credits, but translation work is tricky and well worth the money to hire a professional.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piotr Burzykowski
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pdubarry wrote:
We are looking for someone who can translate the rules for Kingdom of Solomon into German before Essen. You will receive a free copy of the game for your help! Thanks.

With all due respect: get a professional and pay him or her in Euro, not in euro.

Would you consider paying your printer or your graphic artist in copies of the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip duBarry
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scott, I can see your point--bad timing on my part. Really, the 124% is not quite as big as I'm making out. The true cost of production will be something like 18K, and Kickstarter is only part of the picture. I just want people to be excited about the game and give it a look.

This German translation is only supposed to be a quick and dirty version just for Essen. Any official licensing and subsequent translation will be done professionally and for real compensation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can do a quick and dirty translation. As German native speaker and game desinger I´m sure I can do even better.
As I´ll be off for some days next week, I´d say I could do the translation until no later than 2nd weekend of July, probably on the firs weekend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Havighorst
Germany
Haltern am See
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello there,

I would be happy to do the translation work for you. I work as a freelance translator anyway so I can easily fit in the translations of the rules next week or whenever you are ready to send me the original texts(s). I am a native speaker.
H.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip duBarry
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, guys. We already have a translator lined up, but if that falls through, we'll definitely give you a shot. BTW, would either of you be interested in working our booth at Essen?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, I´ll be in Essen only for 2 or 3 days, and time will pass much to fast once more. But for sure I´ll drop by and have a close look at Kindom of Solomon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip duBarry
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
James wanted me to mention that he has some other games needing to be translated. Contact him at webmaster@miniongames.com if you are interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Havighorst
Germany
Haltern am See
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, I dropped James an email. I am not entirely sure whether I will be able to make it to Essen this year so I am not the right candidate to ask to work your booth this year. There are probably lots of local gamers who would be up for it I am sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.