Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chad Corey
United States
Cedar City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have a platoon that was hit by mortars and resulted in a variety units becoming Pinned. The fire mission was the last for the enemy and the spotter was removed from play. I am on to the next turn and was wondering when (or do I?) remove the Pinned markers? I know you remove them if an enemy misses but there is no VOF on the platoon now. Thanks for the help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
See 6.9.1.B. If there is no more VOF on the units, you remove the pinned status at the beginning of the Combat Effects Segment (3.7.2). Any fire from those units would still be treated as All Pinned VOF until the end of the Combat Effects Segment (because VOFs are frozen during that segment until all combat is resolved).

This is effectively identical to the pinned units receiving an automatic MISS result during combat resolution (easiest way to remember it, IMO).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Corey
United States
Cedar City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So they should have been pulled at the end of last turn's Combat Effects Segment?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Baker
United States
Ocean Springs
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
Games with dragons, spaceships, and bears aren’t wargames. Call them conquest games or strategy games or crap but they aren’t wargames.
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe it means the current turn.

If you get a pin result on your unit on turn 1 you don’t have a chance to remove it till turn 2 (Combat Effects Segment) but the effects of the pin VOF still linger till the end of turn two Combat Effects Segment. This makes sense as the pin shouldn’t affect you in turn 1 and if you remove the pin at beginning of turn 2 (Combat Effects Segment) it would never affect your unit for firing purposes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Corey
United States
Cedar City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
That was my thought but I just wanted to be sure. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course, you could also try to remove the pinned status using a Rally action (4.2.3.a) during the command phase. Rallying would allow the previously pinned units to immediately fire at full effectiveness, advance, concentrate fire, etc. rather than waiting until the next turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Taylor
United States
Unspecified
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I try to rally weapon teams when I really need the firepower. Otherwise, troops are safer when they're pinned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.