United States
Elk Grove
California
flag msg tools
badge
Best card in the game!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just looking into this game.

The way I understand it, the different roles have different abilities. I looked at images of the cards and it doesn't look like the abilities are listed on the cards.

Since there are quite a few roles, how do you play this with a new group without constantly having to stop to explain the roles? Especially if certain roles will reveal too much.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Alspach
United States
Louisville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Preorder Ultimate Werewolf Legacy now from beziergames.com
badge
Ultimate Werewolf Legacy
mbmbmbmbmb
The first printing (which was English and German in the same box) did not have card descriptions, and the cards looked like this:

The 2010 printing was English only, and it included role descriptions. If you purchase a set to day, it'll be the 2009 printing (which also includes the Classic Movie Monster expansion), with cards that look like this:

That makes it a lot easier to play with more roles, especially ones that not everyone is familiar with.

edit 6/28 - I had originally uploaded this image without any notes for the image modding peeps, and they rejected it as being a duplicate...once I added a description for them, they passed it...a lesson learned (BGG modders take their job very seriously...probably too seriously)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Wilson
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have a set that doesn't explain roles, what you'd usually do is start out with a basic roleset, and then quickly explain new roles as you introduce them.

To be honest, this is probably not a bad idea even with the new printing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toebus
United States
Elk Grove
California
flag msg tools
badge
Best card in the game!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toebus
United States
Elk Grove
California
flag msg tools
badge
Best card in the game!
mbmbmbmbmb
toulouse wrote:

The 2010 printing was English only, and it included role descriptions. If you purchase a set to day, it'll be the 2009 printing (which also includes the Classic Movie Monster expansion), with cards that look like this (image currently pending geekmod review):

That makes it a lot easier to play with more roles, especially ones that not everyone is familiar with.

I think this was the pic you were referring to...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Yasi
United States
Tewksbury
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having the role explanations on the cards is definitely preferable to NOT having them, but as a Moderator, you need to be careful, because people with a special role (especially those who don't know the game very well) will tend to dwell on their card longer as they read the role description.

To combat this as a Moderator, I do a special bit at the start of each game where I have all players look at their card for 10 seconds. That way, a newbie has enough time to understand the role without fear of sticking out like a sore thumb.

I've also found it helpful to create a quick "cheat sheet" which gets passed out at the start of each game, containing single-line descriptions of all roles that are in the scenario we're playing (along with a few red herrings).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Alspach
United States
Louisville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Preorder Ultimate Werewolf Legacy now from beziergames.com
badge
Ultimate Werewolf Legacy
mbmbmbmbmb
geddy19 wrote:
To combat this as a Moderator, I do a special bit at the start of each game where I have all players look at their card for 10 seconds. That way, a newbie has enough time to understand the role without fear of sticking out like a sore thumb.

Excellent advice. I have done this as well, especially with new players in the mix.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Gardner
Canada
Oshawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
toulouse wrote:
geddy19 wrote:

Excellent advice. I have done this as well, especially with new players in the mix.

That is good advice, one game I played a new player looked at her card with a really confused look for a good ten seconds. We lynched her of course and she ended up being the seer (faceplam)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.