1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Discussing Retailers

Subject: Counterfeit Hasbro Games on Ebay rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J B
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi. I just bought a Risk Clone Wars game on Ebay (don't ask why), and found out after opening the package that it is a counterfeit copy.

It doesn't have any Hasbro logo or trademarks on it. Instead, it only has "Made in China" text in bold at the back.

The seller did not explicitly mention that the game was produced by Hasbro, and the item did not include a back photo. He claims that he was not misrepresenting the item.

Here is the listing:
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam...:MEWNX:IT

Has anyone else here been ripped off like this and sought resolution with Ebay? I opened a case with Ebay and Paypal, but I'd like to know if others have had a similar experience, and the outcome of the case.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just saw a similar thread:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/659237/purchased-a-count...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg r
United States
TROY
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
the item might not have been misrepresented

but it still seems wrong to me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konata
United States
Highlands Ranch
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How do counterfeiters really make any money off this stuff? There's a counterfeit Power Grid floating out there, how many copies do you think that would sell? Five?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yes it is wrong. most won't mind if it is a good copy. this one, however, is poorly made.

the board is made of thin cardboard and won't even lie flat. the figures are made of lighter plastic, the "black" figures are blue green(!) and all of them are poorly detailed. the cards are also thin and are not coated. the photos in the manual are not sharp.

for the price i paid for it, i could have gotten a barely used legitimate copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Konata wrote:
How do counterfeiters really make any money off this stuff? There's a counterfeit Power Grid floating out there, how many copies do you think that would sell? Five?

I think Monopoly, Clue/Cluedo and Risk fakes* sell well. Unfortunately.

*Haven't seen any Game of Life fakes in Asia. Maybe too Americana for them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konata
United States
Highlands Ranch
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I noticed your feedback, he said you "misread" the item description yuk

But he says he is offering a refund at least?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just 50%. He is still claiming $20 for it or full if I ship the item back unopened [duh!?]. I refused.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Dearborn Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Fizzgig need food badly!
badge
Click on Fizzgig to feed him a tasty snack. Nom, Nom, Nom!
mbmbmbmbmb
Apparently the individual is selling another copy of the game you bought, and he added the following to the description on that listing.

"PLEASE NOTE. I have been advised by another winner of this item that it is not the one manufactured by Hasbro. I have since learnt that many companies make this game, including Hasbro and Parker Brothers plus more. I have never mentioned that Hasbro have made this particular game in the item description but i just want to ensure that you don't assume that it is. Make sure you are aware of this before you place your bid."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
John Coltrane - Both Directions At Once: The Lost Album
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ejtracer wrote:
Apparently the individual is selling another copy of the game you bought, and he added the following to the description on that listing.

"PLEASE NOTE. I have been advised by another winner of this item that it is not the one manufactured by Hasbro. I have since learnt that many companies make this game, including Hasbro and Parker Brothers plus more. I have never mentioned that Hasbro have made this particular game in the item description but i just want to ensure that you don't assume that it is. Make sure you are aware of this before you place your bid."

That makes it clear that he's weaseling. Parker Brothers does not make that game, and he makes no mention of the "made in China" sticker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ejtracer wrote:

Doesn't eBay have policies against listing this sort of thing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartosz Trzaskowski

Tucson
Arizona
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, it is a counterfeit/unoriginal copy, so the seller should withdraw it or actually state that. His latest statement included in another auction is far from satisfactory.

On the other hand, the picture of the ebay item doesn't have Parker Brothers logo (it should be on the lower left corner) and he doesn't mention it's from Hasbro, so technically he's ok.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob H. T.
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
ejtracer wrote:

That makes it clear that he's weaseling. Parker Brothers does not make that game, and he makes no mention of the "made in China" sticker.

Parker Bros, Hasbro, Milton Bradley, Wizards of the Coast, and TSR are basically all the same company. They're all Hasbro.

He might not know who's making the game, but he should mention the "made in China" so eBay buyers can make the connection for themselves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Senor Misterioso
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
I bet they take your side on this since it is a counterfeit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konata
United States
Highlands Ranch
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Misterioso wrote:
I bet they take your side on this since he is the buyer.

That's more accurate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MinnesotaPenguin wrote:
Parker Bros, Hasbro, Milton Bradley, Wizards of the Coast, and TSR are basically all the same company. They're all Hasbro.

I'm aware of that, but there has never been a Risk Clone Wars game with Parker Brothers on the label. He says he has "since learnt that" Parker Brothers and others make the game, which is deceptive bullshit, plain and simple. He's learned no such thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Wagnon
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Cybertronic: Superior by design.
mbmbmbmbmb
The seller has a picture and listing that indicate the game being sold is Risk Clone Wars. The item you received was not an actual LEGAL copy of said game.

If you paid by Paypal or Credit Card, dispute the charges immediately, and document that you did not receive the actual game expected, but what appears to be a counterfeit and illegal copy.

Don't equivocate, don't debate. The seller is trying to pedal illegal copies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hébert
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 MadBrad.

Not easy to step on the toes of three of the bigger businesses of the 20th century... turn in the seller to ebay, and report it to Hasbro and LucasFilm too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The dispute process is ongoing. Ebay probably wants us (buyer/seller) to resolve it among ourselves first before stepping in. In the meantime, I have emailed Hasbro Australia's legal department and escalated my dispute with PayPal. I also flagged the other items as counterfeit.

He still is sticking to his stance that there are many manufacturers of this game. He may be right, but there is only one publisher, Hasbro. Because this game is out of print, I can't find an official webpage for it, only a Wikipedia entry and at retailer sites.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For those who are wondering what the counterfeit looks like, this is what I got:

Box Front - no Parker Brothers logo

Box Back - no publisher information, only "Made in China"

Board - made of thin cardboard

Plastic Pieces - "black" pieces are blue green

Manual - dull color

Card - blurred image

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerri Mullis
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Even though it is out of print, has anyone contacted Hasbro customer service to see if they would like to check into this as it is their reputation on the line? (even though it is a fake).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Seymour
United States
Jenkintown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tornspace wrote:
The sooner Hasbro disappears the better.

So goodbye D&D, Magic, Roborally, all the Avalon Hill reprints...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tornspace wrote:
LOL! That's like a guy in China Town complaining that some dude is ripping off his "Shanel" rip-off perfume.

More power to them. The sooner Hasbro disappears the better.

Better to let the legitimate market determine that, than for people to steal from them to accomplish it. They've produced several worthwhile games amid their other stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't let my grandchildren play the counterfeit game. A great many counterfeits have been found to have toxic chemicals in the plastics. The legit copy bears the CE Mark, so you know it has been tested and approved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konata
United States
Highlands Ranch
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
I wouldn't let my grandchildren play the counterfeit game. A great many counterfeits have been found to have toxic chemicals in the plastics. The legit copy bears the CE Mark, so you know it has been tested and approved.

Very interesting point. Sphere, you're always full of wisdom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.