haqattaqq .
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hello,
I'm wondering if there are any co-operative games with competitive elements (eg pandemic with individual scoring)? I know there are games where you can 'rent' resources from another player, but i'm looking for something with a bit more co-operation than that. Does anyone know of any?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
2010 Releases ........................................ The Resistance, Haggis & Triumvirate ..................................... Now accepting submissions for 2011 releases ........................................ www.IndieBoardsandCards.com
mbmbmbmbmb
In my head there is a germ of an idea on this - I think there is a way to do this really weell.

Castle Panic has this, but I haven't played it that way - I have played the game well over 100 times with my kids though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jflartner
United States
Conshohocken
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Defenders of the Realm!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burster of Bubbles, Destroyer of Dreams.
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Just imagine the red offboard up here. I'll create it Real Soon Now...
badge
Yes, I know a proper 18XX tile should have a tile number.
mbmbmbmbmb
On the flip side there are competitive games with some cooperative elements (i.e. while players are fighting each other, they need to make sure the game doesn't win):

Amoeba Wars
The Republic of Rome
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Wright
United States
Clawson
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fortress America sort of has what you're looking for. 3 players play the invading force against one player defending America. The 3 players all win if America falls but the invaders are supposed to be vying amongst each other for certain states that are worth more "VPs," for an individual invader winner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Hobbit and Journey to the Center of the Earth force the players to travel together.

Zombie in my Pocket encourages selfish behavior while the group travels and fights as a unit.

Orcz might fit what you are looking for.

Dungeon Raiders seems like it is along those lines.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
haqattaqq wrote:
Hello,
I'm wondering if there are any co-operative games with competitive elements (eg pandemic with individual scoring)? I know there are games where you can 'rent' resources from another player, but i'm looking for something with a bit more co-operation than that. Does anyone know of any?

It's just a filler, but Saboteur works quite well in this regard. Most of the table works together to find treasure. If they find the treasure, they'll each get more treasure individually by screwing over members of their own team along the way. If they screw over each other too much, however, they might not find the treasure at all (in which case the rest of the players -- the titular saboteurs -- get the treasure).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/49546/coopetition-the-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
haqattaqq wrote:
Hello,

I'd love to play a game like this.
I'd also like to see some games where you 'rent' resources, like you describe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Clue: The Great Museum Caper

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
lordrahvin wrote:
I'd also like to see some games where you 'rent' resources, like you describe.

Caylus Magna Carta comes to mind (although technically the bank pays the "rent", not the player using the resource). I think I read that Uruk: Wiege der Zivilisation and Empire Builder are others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Brown
United States
Gorham
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Terra is a game by Bruno Faidutti that fits your request. It may be difficult to find, however.

Here is a link to a classroom session report by Mayfair Games' Alex Yeager that is interesting. In brief, he taught a group of children to play the game first as a cooperative game and then later with the intended rules that include a self interest element. It is an interesting read.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Troyan
United States
Elkton
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game I think of with respect to competition through cooperation is 7. I recently picked it up and haven't had a chance to play it yet, but the exact situation your talking about is why I got it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoyle A
United States
fiskdale
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Never played it, but I think Dungeon Run is probably worth a look

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJD
United States
Quad-Cities
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's always Mutant Chronicles: Siege of the Citadel.

It's sort of like a cross of Doom and Space Hulk. Each player controls a 2-man special ops team. Ostensibly they're supposed to be working together to complete various missions against the demonic alien menace whose fortress they're assaulting, but each team represents a different corporation with secret goals that may be at cross purposes with another corporation's plans. Players earn points for their own team by how well they do during the mission, and there can only be one final winner at the end of the campaign. In addition, each scenario one random player puts his spec. ops team aside and instead plays the aliens badguys for that mission. He still earns points for his own corporation team though so he has no reason to go soft on the other players.

Basically, each player is out for himself, but, if he doesn't work with the other players to some degree, none of them will finish the mission alive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Target Earth hands down for me...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rich n
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
haqattaqq wrote:
Hello,

Hey Haq,

There's a new game called Storm the Castle that is co-op where players can win as a team but also win individually - check out their kickstarter page for more info [geekurl=http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/giantgoblingames/storm-the-castle-cooperative-boardgame][/geekurl]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.