Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
This was Jesse's first game, but Sarah and I had each played Dominant Species a handful of times before. Randomly selecting our starting races found Sarah as the Insects, Jesse as the Reptiles and me as the Amphibians. This left Sarah in a crushed position between the two of us.

This didn't prove to be as much of a handicap as Sarah's terrible play this game, however.

The first turn saw my Amphibians not adapting at all, though the Reptiles and Insects both did. Glaciation saw us planning ahead: Sarah first, then me, and finally Jesse. We all speciated, but then Wanderlust was first me, then Jesse, and then me, which gave me quite an advantage (though my Speciation had been somewhat hampered by Sarah giving me a glacier for terrain to speciate on!)

Both Sarah and Jesse used Competition to eat some species, and finally Domination ran Sarah, Merric, Jesse, Sarah, Merric.

All of which gave us the scores after the first turn of Merric 21, Jesse 15 and Sarah 11. Having access to the Sea to wander onto gave my Amphibians a big bonus. Sarah took the Domination Card that put her back in first place on the Glaciation track, and so I was poised for a cold winter. So far, so good.

The next round was unusual, to say the least. All the normal activities took place (although I still didn't adapt, but water became quite abundant), but I was the only player to take the domination activity. I took it twice.

Sarah got to the end of the action pawn placement, looked at the track, and suddenly realised what she'd failed to do. Jesse was still a little unclear on how important dominance was. As it turned out, I didn't always have the most species in an area, but the cards I took (one of which gave me an extra action pawn) made up for it. I might not have the most species on the board, but my food sources were making me dominant.

Sarah did send a glacier over more of my territory, of course, but I grabbed the first initiative space and intended to keep it.

Merric 41, Jesse 25, Sarah 18

Well, after the last turn of Amphibian Dominance, surely it couldn't happen again? As it turned out, it could. I placed the FIRST THREE PAWNS on the Dominance track, and Sarah only placed one. The ice went after Sarah this time. I finally managed to get quite a few species cubes onto the board, and Jesse migrated to new lands.

Scoring? It was very one-sided. My side. By the end of the turn, I was on 67 points, Sarah was on 40 points, and Jesse was on 29 points. Oh, and my new cards gave me more glaciers, more action pawns, and more dominance.

At this point, we called the game. Jesse and Sarah didn't have the heart to continue along the path of Frog Domination.

So, for all those following along at home, let the moral of this story be clear: Don't forget to Dominate!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Bradley
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
The best things in life aren't things.
mbmbmbmbmb
That doesn't look like an unrecoverable position to me. Those quitters should have ganged up on you and reeled you in
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konata
United States
Highlands Ranch
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aren't like 1/2 the points scored in the final round or something? How can you call it early?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Konata wrote:
Aren't like 1/2 the points scored in the final round or something? How can you call it early?

For one player it was a learning game and sometimes it's best to reset.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
Halfinger wrote:
Konata wrote:

For one player it was a learning game and sometimes it's best to reset.

Agreed. The reason for a potential reset is not the 'unrecoverable gap' but the fact that the newbies obviously did not understand how important dominance is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Bradley
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
The best things in life aren't things.
mbmbmbmbmb
Tish pshaw and pfft!

"Never give up! Never surrender!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alan beaumont
United Kingdom
LONDON
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fwing wrote:
Tish pshaw and pfft!

"Never give up! Never surrender!"

That only works if you're towing mines. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
lol yes i am teh stabbr
mbmbmbmbmb
It probably wasn't unrecoverable but I just didn't feel like fighting over it, honestly. And the new player, Jesse, didn't seem to be even enjoying the game at all, which was the big reason I was in favour of calling it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Low
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, decline your animal and start a new one? OOPS! That's a different game Diplomat Reptiles & Commando Insects might have helped though, hehe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.