tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Tucker
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
A game is a series of decisions; a good game is a series of interesting decisions
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jschlickbernd wrote:
What is it?

What do you mean?

Per the rules:
Rails of New England Rules p.3 wrote:
Take all Action cards from the “A” Business Deck and set them aside, then deal three cards to each player, giving each a set of ten Business cards (seven “S” from his/her home state and three “A” from anywhere in New England.) From these, each player should choose five cards to use and discard the remaining five. “A” cards should be shuffled into the “A” Business Deck; “S” cards should be returned to the box.
From these, each player should take two Businesses and place them in front of him/her (at no cost), and retain three Businesses in his/her hand. Exception: the Rhode Island player places three Businesses in play and retains two in hand.
Players should mark the total Income for their Businesses in play on the player mat. Note that cards held in hand are secret; all other information is public. Players may choose to play with cash secret or public, depending on the style of play.

So do you want the information for all 7 Starting Business cards for each home state and all the Business cards from the "A" Business Deck posted?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't feel that paragraph answers the question.

Do I get income for only my face-up cards or for all five?

Do I take Normal income? I'm assuming unconnected (because I don't have markers there) but that's not stated either.

Looking later on in the book, we see, for instance, that businesses receive bonus income for sheep markers on the cards.

The rules on page 13 say each player begins the game with two businesses in play. To my mind, that's the income you should collect.

Here is, perhaps, a better paragraph from the book to answer the question.

Quote:
To calculate total income, determine if each Business is Connected or Unconnected and cross-index that column with the row for the present Economic condition (Depression, Normal or Prosperity). The entry at the intersection is that Business's income for this turn. Connected Businesses also earn $1 for each additional Market City in which the player has a Depot (see Figure 9 below.)

To me, then, starting income is (1) the Unconnected, Normal value from your two (three for Rhode Island) face-up businesses plus the number of sheep markers on those two cards.

The rules on page 3 do mention that cards in hand are kept secret. On pages 6 and 7, the rules describe how players can bring a card into play from their hands. Which says (to me) that those cards aren't contributing to income until they're face up on the table.

No?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Schlickbernd
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you David, that's close to what I'm after. The starting income is never defined in the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swain Voorman
United States
Stevens Point
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah thanks for this question. I didn't get a sense of this until going through the entire ruleset.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter Hunt
United States
Bellingham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jschlickbernd wrote:
Thank you David, that's close to what I'm after. The starting income is never defined in the rules.

Starting income is Unconnected income for each business in play, Normal Economic condition, including $1 for each sheep icon for each business in play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Schlickbernd
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hotc wrote:
jschlickbernd wrote:

Starting income is Unconnected income for each business in play, Normal Economic condition, including $1 for each sheep icon for each business in play.

Thanks I hope this is included in the FAQ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.