Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Should a game that has been in limbo for two years or more be deleted as a non-existant game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nevov
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: deleting non-existent games
I'd say it should be looked at on a case-by-case basis. I'd imagine that some games will have this kind of delay before being published, and if there's still the intention to publish it, it should stay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But how long for. Whats to stop (me for example) claiming to be a game designer based on a game I am working on but in fact never goes beyond that thinking about it stage?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
More critically, what would be the problem with you doing so.

Now that BGG has become the centre of the universe for better or worse, all sorts of preview news and support gathering have nowhere else to go, and they spawn pregames.

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Nelson
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thepackrat wrote:
More critically, what would be the problem with you doing so.

Now that BGG has become the centre of the universe for better or worse, all sorts of preview news and support gathering have nowhere else to go, and they spawn pregames.

B>

I think this is an important point. BGG is my news and forum source a few games that look promising but still haven't been delivered, and may well never be. But if two years from now the designer pops into the game's forum with a post saying "we had a meeting with a publisher and it went really well!", that's exciting to us interested parties even if the game doesn't actually exist in any available form yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Nelson
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
But how long for. Whats to stop (me for example) claiming to be a game designer based on a game I am working on but in fact never goes beyond that thinking about it stage?

I have one specific game in mind:

* It has been "in development" for six years.
* Claimed to be about 50% done.
* It's a work of interest by an active and contributing BGG member.
* It has a game page.

Now of those six years, there's been a lot of time just "thinking about it". Someday hopefully it will be done, and maybe it will take another six years with significant downtime in between. That doesn't mean there isn't value for those of us interested in it, and BGG is a great place to discuss it. BGG is also a great place for other people to find out about it. The only other source of information on the game is the designer's blog, which I found out about... through BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nevov
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: deleting non-existent games
slatersteven wrote:
But how long for.

Hmm, I suppose indefinitely. A game could always end up going down the self-published or PnP route at some future point, so it should stay. And as other posters have pointed out, deleting a game entry would remove any ancillary content (images, forums) which doesn't seem beneficial - especially to the users who submitted it.

slatersteven wrote:
Whats to stop (me for example) claiming to be a game designer based on a game I am working on but in fact never goes beyond that thinking about it stage?

Well, nothing, really. But I'd expect such a submission would be refused by the admins if the game was only at the conceptual stage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nevov
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess, turning the question round... why would you want to delete the entry for a game that is in limbo, rather than just abandoning its page until any further developments happen?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nevov wrote:
I guess, turning the question round... why would you want to delete the entry for a game that is in limbo, rather than just abandoning its page until any further developments happen?

Wel I have given one reason. If I say I aqm working on a game design then I could upload a page about it and I get an entry as a game designer. In truth this is not an encylopedia so it does not matter what content we keep. But clutter is surley an issue?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the only issue is whether someone attaches enough value to the Game Designer badge to the point where they will pretend they've got a game design just to get the badge.

If it means that much to someone, I'd just as soon let them have it....rather than deleting information about a single game that is truly in development that anyone on BGG is interested in supporting/following.

If not the designer badge, I really don't see why anyone would care whether these games remain in the database.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cornjob wrote:
I think the only issue is whether someone attaches enough value to the Game Designer badge to the point where they will pretend they've got a game design just to get the badge.

If it means that much to someone, I'd just as soon let them have it....rather than deleting information about a single game that is truly in development that anyone on BGG is interested in supporting/following.

If not the designer badge, I really don't see why anyone would care whether these games remain in the database.

Fair enouigh, just struck me as odd that we have information that seems to be aboout things that do not actualy exist, and may not ever exist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chearns
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eh, most of the game designer badges are absolute crap. I don't think this will change no matter what.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Should a game that has been in limbo for two years or more be deleted as a non-existant game?

slatersteven wrote:
Fair enouigh, just struck me as odd that we have information that seems to be aboout things that do not actualy exist, and may not ever exist.

For over 15 years, we had information about Duke Nukem Forever video game that didn't actually exist yet and was thought by many that it would not ever exist. It often won vaporware of the year awards. It finally got published this month.

I would say there's very little reason to delete any unpublished game entries. 2 years is not nearly enough either, it can take longer than that to work through the publishing process. I've talked to someone online who has a game submitted to a publisher that was supposed to publish the game and nothing has happened for close to two years. He's to the point of thinking of pulling it and submiting it to another publisher (he hasn't signed anything with the first one fortunately).

If unpublished games get to be a problem and clutter up search results, BGG could simply add an option to search only published games. Or a user can just enter in a minimum rating value in the appropriate search field. Unpublished games rarely have enough votes to place in the game ranking.

One can always click the game designer tag and see which games one is actually a designer of. It wouldn't be fair to restrict that badge to published games, after all, one can be a game designer even if the game isn't published.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yargo wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

slatersteven wrote:

For over 15 years, we had information about Duke Nukem Forever video game that didn't actually exist yet and was thought by many that it would not ever exist. It often won vaporware of the year awards. It finally got published this month.

I would say there's very little reason to delete any unpublished game entries. 2 years is not nearly enough either, it can take longer than that to work through the publishing process. I've talked to someone online who has a game submitted to a publisher that was supposed to publish the game and nothing has happened for close to two years. He's to the point of thinking of pulling it and submiting it to another publisher (he hasn't signed anything with the first one fortunately).

If unpublished games get to be a problem and clutter up search results, BGG could simply add an option to search only published games. Or a user can just enter in a minimum rating value in the appropriate search field. Unpublished games rarely have enough votes to place in the game ranking.

One can always click the game designer tag and see which games one is actually a designer of. It wouldn't be fair to restrict that badge to published games, after all, one can be a game designer even if the game isn't published.

Actualy I prefer the idea of a filter to deletion, and should have thoought of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.