Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zenjoy
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thinking of ways to make the "Don't Discard treachery" effect more notable when there are no Cylon Leaders and/or Cylon Agents active. Was thinking of this (and wanted to confirm what game balance issues it may cause if anything):

"Whenever a player discards Treachery Cards, reveal the top card of the Treachery Deck. If it is card that does NOT have a Reckless Skill Check effect, resolve the effect of the card immediately."

Given the Treachery Deck is 26 cards, and 17 of these cards are "Reckless Skill Check" cards - the remaining 9 non-Reckless cards (Human Weakness, God's Plan, Sabotage) are viable to occur. This means that there is around/ above a 35% chance of something occurring anytime a player discards Treachery Skill cards.

This will encourage human players to sneak their "treachery cards" away via Skill checks rather than discard them openly and with minimal fear of repercussion. It also means these Treachery Cards will have some use prior Cylon's revealing themselves.

Thoughts? Am honestly considering re-writing all the Treachery Cards to have an effect of this degree, but thought I'd check to see if this simple adjustment might suffice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tables
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking this is a great idea. I'm going to suggest it straight to my playgroup ASAP, I think.

However, having said that, a lot of the potential damage isn't that great. God's Plan is notably lame, well, 2 points of Treachery is known as the top destiny card and (assuming the top card is discarded) we learn one destiny card. Human Weakness is also generally fairly tame, leaving just Sabotage as the real damager.

Still, it's simple and makes Treachery a little nastier, which is a good thing in my opinion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zenjoy
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Decent point. I was thinking for God's Plan, to make it more impressive and less predictable, the effect should be:

"Shuffle this card and the top card of the Treachery Skill Deck into the Destiny Deck".

This way God's plan will turn up, but not immediately AND it will have added +1 more Treachery card (and an unknown one at that) to its ammunition. Not ground shaking, but still more impressive then where it currently stands.

Glad to hear you like it. Hope to hear some other opinions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got two options to offer, to address the main problems with Treachery.

Any Crisis Skill Check with a negative result becomes reckless.

This is an old idea, that I believe first showed up (slightly different) in the Razor Cut variant rules. The intent here is that humans can't simply dump all the treachery they've acumulated into an irrelevant skill check in order to get rid of it, and thereby prove their loyalty. Note that location skill checks are exempt from this, as often enough, it will be in the humans' interest to fail those. (E. g. a cylon attempting a brig escape.)

Whenever a Treachery card is discarded by a human player, roll a die. On a 3 or higher, nothing happens. On a 2 or lower, reduce the highest resource by 1.

The idea here is that Treachery cards cease to be convenient discards for traveling between ships or similar. You can still get rid of them, but now there's a risk involved. Nothing too big or painful, usually, but just enough that you might consider (or unrevealed cylons have an excuse) to discard another card.
The risk is somewhat similar to Launch Scout, really. In the worst case scenario, when losing that resource point would really be very detrimental, but you're forced to discard, you can still negate the penalty by playing Strategic Planning.

Of course, you should be very wary of any effects that force you to discard a lot of cards.

Sabotage really isn't enough of a discouragement to discarding treachery. First, it only becomes an issue when there's a revealed cylon (who has drawn treachery), second, even then, only 4 out of 26 cards are Sabotage.

Treachery cards still remain useful for Airlock/Resistance HQ checks, and obviously, At Any Cost. But these two rules should make them stay in human hands a lot longer, while also providing a good excuse for an unrevealed cylon to stockpile Treachery.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zenjoy
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I definately agree with your "Any Crisis Skill Check with a negative result becomes reckless" from Razor. Its a simple variant and makes the game far more interesting.

Your alternate idea also has merit. I agree that without a revealed Cylon, "Sabotage" is useless (I'm sure they designed it with intent people would want to play the "No-One Cares what I want the game outcome to be" Cylon Leader). Your idea has nice merit and uses the effect of "Human Weakness" well.

Nice concepts and offer :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Z
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Well, we used to play with Ellen Tigh sometimes... whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.