Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
go2 Youtube Historical Gaming
mbmbmbmbmb
Is a retreat path allowed for the german unit to go south? Does he always have to go to the left side of the board?

Battle 2 is taking place and unit is taking a DR

The russians attacking 12-6 and rolled a 1

Is he eliminated or should he go 2 spaces south
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stewart Nairn
United Kingdom
Glasgow
Glasgow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure that I have picked you up right, because I can't see where going to the left side of the board comes in. If the question is what happens to the unit in 1203 when it gets a DR then I think the answer is that it is eliminated.

Having a DR means that the unit has to end up two hexes away from the defending hex.

It is prohibited from retreating through enemy occupied hexes so it starts by moving to the only hex not occupied by enemies - 1204.

Because 1204 is in an EZC it looses a step.

It needs to continue to retreat to end 2 hexes away from the hex it started in.

It is prohibited from ending its retreat in a friendly occupied hex (or enemy occupied one) so the only place it can go is hex 1205.

The problem with that hex is that it is adjacent to an enemy ZOC and any unit that is forced to end it's retreat in an enemy ZOC is eliminated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Meints
United States
Waterloo
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes the German unit in 1203 is Eliminated since both hexes that he could retreat into are in a Enemy Zone of Control and therefore a step loss for each hex entered.

Rule is that the defender must be 2 hexes further away then the hex he was defending in. If that takes him to the south in this combat then that's OK as long as it's 2 hexes further away from where he started at
and no zig zags.This also allows for the old Russian Campaign Advance Forward during retreat if that so happens to be the only way they could go to be 2 hexes from their defending hex. It will happen rarely but it could happen.

You will note that the rules for retreat mention nothing about retreating towards your friendly mapedge.Only that it be 2 hexes further then starting out which can be any direction.

Kim Meints
Battle for Moscow playtester.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jackiesavon wrote:

You will note that the rules for retreat mention nothing about retreating towards your friendly mapedge.Only that it be 2 hexes further then starting out which can be any direction.

Kim Meints

Ok that's what I thought. Seems like most trouble with rules is when I read into rules deeper than actually written.

Thanks for the info guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahh didnt catch the 1 hit per each passing through enemy zoc.. thanks
stewartnairn wrote:

The problem with that hex is that it is adjacent to an enemy ZOC and any unit that is forced to end it's retreat in an enemy ZOC is eliminated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Winters
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
jackiesavon wrote:

Kim Meints

I caught that after sometime. I too was thinking retreats have to go towards the friendly-side of the board, but that is incorrect.

Thanks for the official clarification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.