Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gene Baker
United States
Ocean Springs
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
Games with dragons, spaceships, and bears aren’t wargames. Call them conquest games or strategy games or crap but they aren’t wargames.
mbmbmbmbmb
My 1st Sgt is in the jeep at beginning of the turn and he has several commands available. I want him to shift a unit’s fire on the same card and cover then travel to the next card and issue commands. The sequence of play seems to prevent this since you don’t move vehicles till 3.6 after the activations and command segments. What’s strange is I could disembark him (for free without command ???) move to next card without jeep and issue commands. Of course he’d be without the jeep next time, but I just wondered if my thoughts above are correct or could I be missing something.

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've encountered that same awkwardness using the jeep. But AFAIK, you are correct that the 1st Sgt can't move with the jeep until the vehicle phase. For that matter, he can't even disembark "for free" until the vehicle phase! (see 5.1.6.C and 7.4.2) I would probably also allow disembarking during the command phase, using a Transport action to do so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Taylor
United States
Unspecified
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my (admittedly brief) experience, I haven't felt a need to bring in the jeep. This ain't the Rat Patrol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Baker
United States
Ocean Springs
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
Games with dragons, spaceships, and bears aren’t wargames. Call them conquest games or strategy games or crap but they aren’t wargames.
mbmbmbmbmb
rtaylor wrote:
In my (admittedly brief) experience, I haven't felt a need to bring in the jeep. This ain't the Rat Patrol.

My experience is rather brief as well. My thought was to load the jeep up front with the Sgt and 50 cal. Since the jeep can travel fast I could get the 50 cal in a firing position quicker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
Belgium
De Panne
Bachten de Kupe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zhredder wrote:
I've encountered that same awkwardness using the jeep. But AFAIK, you are correct that the 1st Sgt can't move with the jeep until the vehicle phase. For that matter, he can't even disembark "for free" until the vehicle phase! (see 5.1.6.C and 7.4.2) I would probably also allow disembarking during the command phase, using a Transport action to do so.

This is correct: the jeep moves in the vehicle phase only!

Yes this limits the use a the jeep as a fast moving commander transport.

On a side note: I did about the same thing in the beginning: loading the 1st SGT and the .50 HMG on the jeep at startup, to have a fast deploying reserve unit with heavy fire power. But this ended in keeping the 1st SGT in reserve much to long. You really need that 1st SGT up front to keep the guys moving!

Now, I use the jeep mainly to transport ammo and/or casualties around the battlefield, but not for much other things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Phillips
United States
Montague
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Same for me... tried to use it for more int he beginning and felt it just tied him up for no real benefit. Main use in my games is for casualties.

teufen wrote:
zhredder wrote:

This is correct: the jeep moves in the vehicle phase only!

Yes this limits the use a the jeep as a fast moving commander transport.

On a side note: I did about the same thing in the beginning: loading the 1st SGT and the .50 HMG on the jeep at startup, to have a fast deploying reserve unit with heavy fire power. But this ended in keeping the 1st SGT in reserve much to long. You really need that 1st SGT up front to keep the guys moving!

Now, I use the jeep mainly to transport ammo and/or casualties around the battlefield, but not for much other things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Baker
United States
Ocean Springs
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
teufen wrote:

Well it worked to get the 50 cal in firing position and the jeep can now be used for causalities or whatever. What I didn’t think about was the 50 cal just firing away all its ammo. Hmmmm? Who do you use to drive the jeep? A one step unit?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
Belgium
De Panne
Bachten de Kupe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gbaker59 wrote:
teufen wrote:

Well it worked to get the 50 cal in firing position and the jeep can now be used for causalities or whatever. What I didn’t think about was the 50 cal just firing away all its ammo. Hmmmm? Who do you use to drive the jeep? A one step unit?

1. I found the .50's ammo to valuable to leave him alone without any commander within communicating range.

2. yes, a FT will do to drive the jeep around
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
teufen wrote:

That raises some interesting questions. Normally, a Fire Team is restricted for move actions: only to a staging area or a friendly occupied card with no VOF on it. Seems to me those same restrictions should apply to an FT driving a jeep, or just riding as a passenger for that matter (they could bail out in a suitable card, I think, if the vehicle they are riding is heading into harms way).

Also, the Activate Vehicle action is technically issued to the vehicle. However, if a Fire Team is the driver, it seems to me that the FT is really the one doing the action - can an FT even do that action? (that does seem a bit too restrictive tho)

One difficulty I can see with using an FT to drive the jeep is that you would probably need HQ/Staff at the end of the trip so he could move again if needed.

Also, keep in mind that a .50-cal can't fire if marked Exposed - which it will be when transported by jeep. So it won't fire until the following turn. Sorry, no "Rat Patrol" - tho I suppose if the jeep doesn't move, the .50-cal could still fire while mounted, so that would be close.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
Belgium
De Panne
Bachten de Kupe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zhredder wrote:
teufen wrote:

That raises some interesting questions. Normally, a Fire Team is restricted for move actions: only to a staging area or a friendly occupied card with no VOF on it. Seems to me those same restrictions should apply to an FT driving a jeep, or just riding as a passenger for that matter (they could bail out in a suitable card, I think, if the vehicle they are riding is heading into harms way).

Also, the Activate Vehicle action is technically issued to the vehicle. However, if a Fire Team is the driver, it seems to me that the FT is really the one doing the action - can an FT even do that action? (that does seem a bit too restrictive tho)

One difficulty I can see with using an FT to drive the jeep is that you would probably need HQ/Staff at the end of the trip so he could move again if needed.

Also, keep in mind that a .50-cal can't fire if marked Exposed - which it will be when transported by jeep. So it won't fire until the following turn. Sorry, no "Rat Patrol" - tho I suppose if the jeep doesn't move, the .50-cal could still fire while mounted, so that would be close.

1; regarding the FT driving the jeep:
- I give the command with a HQ/staff to board the jeep and to activate the jeep
- I don't drive the jeep trough or onto cards with a VoF on them
- In the vehicle phase the jeep moves and if applicable, some passengers unload at the end of it's movement (not sure whether you can unload during movement?)
- If the jeep has to move in subsequent turns, this will be done by general initiative by the FT, or in the very unlikely event that the jeep ended it's movement on a card with a HQ or Staff, by normal command.

2. regarding the .50 HMG in the jeep:
- I've never fired the .50 from within the jeep
- the exposed restriction is also an issue when moving the HMG on foot: it will only open fire on the next turn after the unit moved, so I don't see a real difference between delivering the HMG by jeep or by foot for that matter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
teufen wrote:
- In the vehicle phase the jeep moves and if applicable, some passengers unload at the end of it's movement (not sure whether you can unload during movement?)

7.4.2 sez: "You can have a vehicle disembark its passengers during the Vehicle Phase, either before or after the vehicle moves." So I suppose unloading mid-move is not allowed, but at the end of it's movement is fine.

Quote:
- If the jeep has to move in subsequent turns, this will be done by general initiative by the FT,...

Good idea... I always forget about GI.

Quote:
2. regarding the .50 HMG in the jeep:
- I've never fired the .50 from within the jeep

Neither have I. Don't even know if it's very realistic, but the rules seem to allow it. (how easy is it to mount/un-mount a .50-cal on a jeep?)

Quote:
- the exposed restriction is also an issue when moving the HMG on foot: it will only open fire on the next turn after the unit moved, so I don't see a real difference between delivering the HMG by jeep or by foot for that matter.

True. I was just pointing it out because the Rat Patrol image is of the jeep bouncing over rough terrain while the gunner mows down the bad guys. I would dismount the HMG - it's much more vulnerable on the jeep.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.