Subject: Yin-Yang Token allows two actions in same turn? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Had some quite entrenched views on this in our game tonight.

When you use the Yin-Yang to call on one of the villager tiles to help, is that *instead* of your normal action, or as an extra? ie If you're using your Yin-Yang, can you activate two tiles in the same turn?

The rules say:

Quote:
Using the Yin-Yang is in addition to the normal action of the player.

The "Ghost Stories Unofficial FAQ (revised) v1.1" in the files says
Quote:
Yin-Yang Token Use
Q. Let's say on a turn, I play my Yin-Yang Token (either to call for aid or flip a haunted village); I then kill a ghost that allows me to take my Yin-Yang Token back. Can I now use my YinYang Token again on the same turn (to call for aid and/or flip a haunted village)?
A. Yes.

So for instance, if two of my fellow Taoists are lying dead in the Cemetery, can I move to the Cemetery tile and resurrect both, doing one on my normal turn and then one using my Yin-Yang token?

It reads to me like this is correct, but since none of the examples succinctly indicated that you could get a "second action" by using the Yin-Yang, it was hard to convince people otherwise.

I hope that you guys are also split over this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
...and videogaming, boardgaming, RPG'ing and helping users as an admin!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes you can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is perfectly legal, yes. It's also a way to pick up two Bhudda statues, move two problem ghosts to a corner so they can be attacked simultaneously, and so forth. And you can unhaunt without drawing an extra ghost. It is supposed to be an extremely powerful tool. The most common trick I use it for is to call upon the sorcerer to remove a ghost that needs to be gone before the next player's turn if I fail to exorcise it with the dice and we would otherwise lose the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes indeed. Use of the Yin/yang is always in addition to what you already can do on your turn. A sort of "free action".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Oh dear, I expected more contrary opinions on BGG!!

All in agreement? tut tut!

Well, at least you're agreeing with *me*!

The other players who were convinced that I was wrong were arguing something along the line of "the use of the Yin-Yang is only to *request* help from a different tile, it doesn't actually give you the action of that tile, unless you still have your one-permitted-action-per-turn to use it in"

Thanks for the feedback!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Ebert
United States
North Fort Myers
Florida
flag msg tools
Solo Gamers are NOT lonely!
badge
Together We Game Alone (1 Player Guild)
mbmbmbmbmb
For those that argued with you, you could point out on the flow chart on the back of the book that the Yin-Yang and Power Tokens appear between every part of the turn, meaning that those are the legal times to use it. And it doesn't say you use it "instead of" ever anywhere in the book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Van Morrison and Joey DeFrancesco - You're Driving Me Crazy
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rainbow Snake wrote:
The other players who were convinced that I was wrong were arguing something along the line of "the use of the Yin-Yang is only to *request* help from a different tile...

If you look at the flow chart, you will see that your regular action is to *request* help from the villagers in the tile you occupy. 'Request' is simply a polite/thematic term for using the ability associated with a tile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Dick
Germany
Wiesbaden
flag msg tools
mb
Quote:
And you can unhaunt without drawing an extra ghost

Isn't that wrong? You always have to do the full action of a village tile, even if you use a yin-yang token to do it. so you would have to draw 2 ghosts if you use this tile 2 times in your turn. you also have to pay a QI token for destroying a ghost if you use a yin-yang token for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Enroth186 wrote:
Sulinde wrote:
And you can unhaunt without drawing an extra ghost

Isn't that wrong? You always have to do the full action of a village tile, even if you use a yin-yang token to do it. so you would have to draw 2 ghosts if you use this tile 2 times in your turn. you also have to pay a QI token for destroying a ghost if you use a yin-yang token for it.

That's the way I've always played it (the extra ghost, loss of one chi, etc). Never before have I heard or read anyone suggesting that the Ying-Yang skips some of the effects! shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you use your Yin-Yang to request help from the Taoist Altar, then you unhaunt a village tile and draw a new ghost.

But you don't normally do that, because:
Rulebook, page 7 (original emphasis) wrote:
Using his Yin-Yang allows the Taoist to get help from any villager without having to be on that villager’s tile, OR it allows the Taoist to turn a haunted tile back to its active side, bringing the villager back.

So unless you want to draw a new ghost, there's never any reason to spend your Yin-Yang on the Taoist Altar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Doh, I must have been asleep, forgot that. Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.