Popular Tags: [View All]
Yiorgos Golfinopoulos
Greece
Patras
GREECE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dance of the Void gives a player a specific Battle action while in play. Does this Battle action count towards putting Ring of Water or Ring of Void in play when taken?
In other words, is that Battle action coming from Dance of the Void itself for purposes like "from cards with different titles" or "from Strategies"?

If I have Blades of the Fallen Phoenix attached to a Personality at home, can I use its ability to transfer it to a Personality in the current battlefield?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Bennett
United States
Rougemont
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Play. Always.
mbmbmbmbmb
Battle actions are anything that say "Battle:" so for water you can use any 4 of those from cards with different titles. You could use one printed on a spell, a fortress, a kata (like DotV), or anything else. As long as it says battle, it counts.

As far as Void you need to play 4 strategy cards in one phase. The battle ability on DotV is not from a strategy, it's from "you." The kata gives ou the battle action, but the action isn't taken from a strategy. Now, putting the kata into play in the first place WOULD count as 1 of the 4 you need to play for void (but I don't think there's enough limited/open non-kiho strategies in the base deck to play void during the action phase).

You can't move the blades that way because it defies the rule of location which is that you can't use battle abilities on cards that are not in the battle unless they say so.

You CAN use an ability on a card not at the battle if it would MOVE that card to the battle, but this isn't movement, it's a transfer which is defined as a different thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yiorgos Golfinopoulos
Greece
Patras
GREECE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the answers, Jack.

I understand your reasoning about Ring of Void, however, you seem to contradict yourself.
If Dance of the Void's Battle action does not come from the card but from "you", then it doesn't count for Ring of Water either as you need Battle actions "from cards with different titles".
That of course rules out Battle actions from Fortresses too...

As for Blades of the Phoenix, I agree it brakes the Rule of Location, but I don't think that's only because of the word "transfer".
Even if it said "move", it is not a unit, and the exception to the Rules of Presence and Location counts for moving units only. That's how it is written in the rulebook at least...

My problem is I only have read the WoH rulebook and I don't think this issues are covered explicitly in it. If anyone has better knowledge of the current L5R rules, please enlighten me...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Bennett
United States
Rougemont
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Play. Always.
mbmbmbmbmb
I looked at water too quickly and forgot the "from cards". So yes Dance counts for void when you put it in play, and no it doesn't count for void or water when you use the battle abilities.

With the blades, it's a transfer and not a movement and that's why it can't be used. Only units move so its a moot point.

I've been rules judging the game for a few arcs now, so let me know if you have any other questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yiorgos Golfinopoulos
Greece
Patras
GREECE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My sincere thanks for the answers Jack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Bennett
United States
Rougemont
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Play. Always.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey no problem. It's in my best interests to get as many people playing L5R as possible, even if you are in Greece!

It can be a tough game, especially with the WoH rule book that is purposefully trying to be as simple as possible, maybe to a fault. But it's worth it, I promise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.