Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Deb Wentworth
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can someone explain how the "four expanded locomotive cards that replace the train tiles and six-sided die" work? Does this mean a different mechanism is used to determine de-railing on curves?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deb Wentworth
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bought the expansion before I got my answer - I didn't like the use of the die in an otherwise pretty thematic game, and thought this expansion might improve on that.

But now I'm scratching my head - geez, this expansion is confusing. A couple of examples or photos would help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The new train boards replace the old ones, and the die.

Your max speed is now your max engine capacity (6 normally, 8 with the upgrade) minus the number of curves you will enter on your turn. You also can't spend more steam than you have.

So for example, you have 4 steam. You want to move, but one of the tiles on your path has a curve. That means you can use 5 steam maximum (6 - 1 curve), but you only have 4 to spend.

It's a little weird in that you basically plot your route and figure out how much steam you could possibly spend, *then* you spend the steam. Basically look at it as the curves giving you a speed limit; the curvier the path, the slower the going. Makes sense. But it does ditch the die roll, which is good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deb Wentworth
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Ken. I think I understand the math of evaluating curves. I was more confused by the whole package of new options.

I'm glad to get rid of the die - but not sure I'll use this expansion now that I've bought it. The new features seems so ...contrived. It's a game where I love the components and theme, but want to keep half the rules and substitute my own [yet to be developed] for the other half. How do you like this expansion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having used the expansion, I can not imagine playing without it now. It changes a game that's moderately fun but ultimately flawed and turns it into a pretty darned good game.

The factories, the upgrades, the prominence of coal, and the big fix to the scoring system are all very, very welcome additions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deb Wentworth
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great - thanks for that feedback. Playing my first game with the expansion tomorrow. Looks like, though, with a 4-player game, there is a good chance of running out of goods or coal midway through.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
debwentworth wrote:
Great - thanks for that feedback. Playing my first game with the expansion tomorrow. Looks like, though, with a 4-player game, there is a good chance of running out of goods or coal midway through.

Goods, maybe. We haven't come close in 2 or 3-player games, but it's certainly possible. The expansion gives you a benefit if you play a factory and there are not matching goods in the bag.

Besides, if all the cubes are out, then there are *plenty* of points on the board for people to win!

As for coal, you will never run out. Why? Because each player uses at max three of the coal cubes--one to mark their "Stability" upgrade on their train board, one to mark the other tech they choose, and then one marker to move up and down the "Coal" track on the train card. So you cannot possibly run out of coal cubes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got the game without the expansion. I'm going to wait for the expansion to arrive before I give it a shot, so I don't disillusion my board game group (i.e. My kids).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...game pleasure in wood
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the base game (Valley games edition) that I got as a gift, but haven't opened it yet because of the generally mediocre reviews, even though the theme and basic mechanics appeal to me.

Wondering if I should buy the expansion and play the expanded game or instead just trade away the sealed game.

So, the question is, realizing that the expansion indeed improves the game a lot, just HOW GOOD is the expanded game then?
Is it UNIQUE among tile-laying games?
Is it UNIQUE among pick-up-and-deliver games?
Is it something that owners feel deserves a spot in their collection (presuming they have a somewhat extensive collection)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Fort Polk
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It don't think it is UNIQUE among either of those genres, but I think it is a unique mix of those genres. I bought it primarily because I can get a sort of crayon rail experience (build track, inconvenience other players, plan for efficient movement of goods) in less than 45 minutes per player.

'Should a person buy it' I think is better answered by the make-up of their gaming group than the size or content of their collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Green Gobbo
msg tools
mb
franklincobb wrote:

Your max speed is now your max engine capacity (6 normally, 8 with the upgrade) minus the number of curves you will enter on your turn. You also can't spend more steam than you have.

So for example, you have 4 steam. You want to move, but one of the tiles on your path has a curve. That means you can use 5 steam maximum (6 - 1 curve), but you only have 4 to spend.

It's a little weird in that you basically plot your route and figure out how much steam you could possibly spend, *then* you spend the steam. Basically look at it as the curves giving you a speed limit; the curvier the path, the slower the going. Makes sense. But it does ditch the die roll, which is good.

Seeing as I just got this on a super sale recently. Doesn't it make more sense to just say "turns cost two steam" it's effectively the same thing.

- two spaces plus 1 turn would be 4 steam

vs

- I have 4 steam and going through two spaces and a turn

Yes WAY late to the party I know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Waltier
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GreatGreenGobbo wrote:
Seeing as I just got this on a super sale recently. Doesn't it make more sense to just say "turns cost two steam" it's effectively the same thing.

vs

If it is mechanically the same then yes, that is way simpler to conceptualize.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Longtime Gamer
United States
Bellows Falls
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GreatGreenGobbo wrote:
franklincobb wrote:

vs

Not quite. The rule on page 3 under Stability, 2nd paragraph states:

"Top Speed is the maximum amount of steam a train may expend during the player's turn. To determine the Top Speed subtract the number of curve segments entered from its maximum boiler capacity (either 6 or 8 if upgraded). The amount of steam on board is not a factor in this calculation. Thus a standard train with a boiler capacity of 6 entering 2 curve track segments could only expend up to 4 steam during its turn. This limit applies even if the train would have enough steam remaining to enter additional track segments."

Thus, if you wish to move a train with a capacity of 6 along a route with 3 corners, your max speed is 3. You may move 3 spaces at a cost of 3 steam (assuming you have that much steam). If you had 5 steam, you still cannot move more than 3 spaces because that would exceed your max speed.

I hope that clears it up. Cheers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.