United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
how sweet the sound...
badge
Fear The Hat !!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hive and Roll Through the Ages travel well. If there is card space then Battle Line, Citadels, Lost Cities, maybe even Campaign Manager.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hopefully you will have some room on a Canadian flight - and hopefully it's not on a US base carrier. No room there to sneeze.

Jaipur
Triumvirate
Cold War: CIA vs KGB

+1 Hive

These should work - and they are great games.

Happy trails.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any game on the computer should work, try Catan even.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob West
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Having just flown across the Atlantic twice, I'll add another vote for Hive. Mr. Jack Pocket also works, as does Haggis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Ramsey
United States
Grove City
OH
flag msg tools
badge
Hush
mbmbmbmbmb
I brought Pandemic and The Resistance to the airport today, but I'm not sure they are going to get much play time in air.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AnyMouse wrote:
I brought Pandemic and The Resistance to the airport today, but I'm not sure they are going to get much play time in air.

The Resistance will if you can find everyone around you who wants to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Impossible task? Games for long plane travels.
Games On A Plane - Our recent anniversary trip to Hawaii
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Wallace
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
6th Circle Nethermancer in Service of the Queen!
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Hive
+1 Roll Through the Ages

Onirim, Monopoly Deal, Tic-Attack-Toe, Haggis, Pieces of Eight!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
One Armed Bandit
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zombie Dice
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Hive
+1 Roll Through the Ages

Ingenious: Travel Edition
Vom Kap bis Kairo

and quite everything from nestorgames.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I work for the airlines and travel all the time for my work. My wife and I also travel a lot. Here are the games I've loved taking on our trips:

Battle Line - hands down the best bang for its size. Remove the cards and pawns from the box and put them in a small ziploc baggie. It fits nicely on two tray tables. Our number one for in-flight games, in-hotel room games, or just plain sitting around.
Onirim - I haven't played this one co-op yet. I've only played solo. But it fits nicely on the tray table. I take it with me on 14-hour flights to China and I can pass a few good hours with it.
Parade - Not as good as Battle Line, but a close second. It just fits on two tray tables--sometimes that parade of cards gets pretty long.
Biblios - Fits nicely on two tray tables. I suppose it would fit fine on one, but since you're playing with two players, we use both. It's bidding and end-score manipulation is pretty cool. We will play it over and over and over.
The Speicherstadt - What's nice about the Speicherstadt is you can play it fine without the board (you just have to keep track of a minimal amount of points given during game play as a result of fires). When you eliminate the board, it's another ziploc-baggie jem! We went on a cruise two weekends ago and we played this every night.It's brilliant for travel.
Aton- For such a small box, this game packs another big punch of strategy. Area control, area majority, and hand management in an elegant, fast-playing abstract. A must for small box games.Perhaps a bit too big for tray tables, but good for all other traveling purposes.
En Garde (Travel Edition) - The name says it all. Fair warning, the TSA may consider the metal figurines holding pointed swords to be weapons! We left ours at home and used cubes to replace them.
Summoner Wars - Another one that doesn't work on the plane since the board/large piece of paper is too large. But it packs into a small box and is a lot of fun once you reach your destination!
Triumvirate - A trick-taking game for two that works, with a very small footprint; one tray table easily.

Here's a shortlist of other games I've taken with me on vacation:

For Sale
Jungle Speed
Glory to Rome
The Resistance
Tichu

I hope this helps.

Good luck and have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefanie Kethers
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have taken Canal Grande and Pickomino - there is also a really tiny version of Pickomino in a small round box, which is even better for travel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Link
United States
Snowmass Village
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
No travel game has been designed specifically for flights yet that I know of. I have played (+1) Cold War: KGB vs CIA on a plane and it works. Technically this game plays quickly as it is usually used as a 'filler' game.

For something longer I'll make my customary speech about such things here: Even Catan: Portable Edition has fiddly bits and is still not quite condusive to playing in a plane or car for that matter. I suggest laminating a copy of the board of your favorite game and use dry erase markers on it to replace the bits and voila!...your own custom travel game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have a computer and/or ipad your game list is quite large. Even if you limit it to boardgames on computer/ipad.

Many games have travel versions. Other games its possible to make your own travel versions. Recently I saw someone with what I think was homemade diplomacy game, they had a metal tray with one of the paper map sheets in it, and little blocks with magents on it. That was so he could go around to the differant countries and negotiate with them and hold up that map

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Yargo wrote:
If you have a computer and/or ipad your game list is quite large. Even if you limit it to boardgames on computer/ipad.
True. The iPad makes Carcassonne one of the best travel games. If only Ticket to Ride would have pass-n-play, it too would be an excellent choice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't you think other passengers will get a little upset if you are rolling dice loudly?...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Ramsey
United States
Grove City
OH
flag msg tools
badge
Hush
mbmbmbmbmb
aldaryn wrote:
Don't you think other passengers will get a little upset if you are rolling dice loudly?...

This is exactly the issue that keeps me from running out to buy Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pentool PSD
United States
Apopka
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
+1 for Hive.

One tip for playing on those slippery tray tables.
Buy some of that non-slip grip shelving (the one that has holes) and cut it into tray table size. I've found 16" x 9" works well. It weighs nothing, rolls up into a small package, and prevents game pieces from slipping and sliding.

Re: Noisy dice rolling.
If you have a smart phone, there are dice rolling apps available. MotionX for the iPhone/iPod Touch is a good one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cmarques1982 wrote:
I do have a computer. Can we play boardgames on it? I know we can play them online but is there an offline version?

Depends on the board game. There's offline vassel modules for many many games. And some games you can download other offline versions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EXTRA AVOCADO! Sonderegger
United States
Folsom
CA
flag msg tools
designer
Shall I compare thee to a chevrolet?
badge
...the headlamps of your eyes will make them dream.
mbmbmbmbmb
Famiglia
Light. Cheap. And plenty of interesting decisions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
cmarques1982 wrote:
Yargo wrote:
cmarques1982 wrote:
I do have a computer. Can we play boardgames on it? I know we can play them online but is there an offline version?

Depends on the board game. There's offline vassel modules for many many games. And some games you can download other offline versions.

How can I find those offline versions?

Seems like that would make a great geeklist. "Board Games that can be downloaded to a computer and played offline (other than Vassel)" or something like that.

I found these, none of which limit it to downloadable/offline games:
Computer Versions of Board Games
iPhone Board Games
Sebastian Sohn's SoftBoard Games: Free, Commercial, and Abandoned Computer Version of Board, Card and Role-Playing Games with Computer AI (Artificial Intelligence) Opponents with Screen Shots
Board games that have been adapted as commercial computer games
Games that have Open-Source/Free Computer Versions
Wanted: Computer versions of board games (preferably free). Mac OS X compatible, please. Thanks.
Games I can play vs the computer
Freely Downloadable Computer Versions of Multi-Player Games with Competent AI Opponents
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our go-tos are Fairy Tale and Cribbage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.