Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: rant [+] flgs [+] tough_crowd [+] [View All]
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I'm liking Dominion, but its feeling kind of simple. (In a good way, but still...) I've decided to pickup Dominion: Intrigue because, based on what I've heard here, it seems like it will add to the game exactly those elements I'm looking for.

Despite that my gaming groups thinks I'm absolutely nuts for buying from retail game stores instead of searching for internet specials, and despite the fact that I know I could buy Dominion: Intrigue online for almost half price and get free shipping, I still went to my local game store to pick this up.

I like my game store. I don't go there much anymore but I did a few years back when i had lived nearby and it was a fun place to meet people and socialize. I don't really want them to go out of business. Perhaps more importantly, I *hate* waiting for shipping. There's something convenient about holding things in my hand when I decide if I want them, and walking out with it and beginning game. Sometimes (not today, unfortunately), I could even find people in the store and start playing right away.

Even though it was a long drive out of my way, I visited the store. I purchased Dominion: Intrigue for $45, and felt pretty stupid doing so. But if I could start playing tonight, then it would be worth it. (Well, not really, but that's what I told myself at the time.) I bought it. It's a big box of cards and its in my trunk. Yay, so far so good.

My next task was to re-sleeve the cards. I took a table right there in the store and began the tedious process while simultaneously oooohing and aaaaahing at the different cards I had just bought. But I ran out of sleeves after just a couple of kingdom sets. (There's 25 sets, plus a bunch of other cards.)

It was a good thing I was in the store. This had been part of the plan... if I ran out of sleeves, at least I was already at my local hobby store. I hadn't purchased my original sleeves at that store -- I had bought them at the mall near my house where I paid $2 a pack, costing about $28 altogether.

They didn't have sleeves in that color. They were out. Not their fault, necessarily, but still annoying. They offered me sleeves in another color, but that doesn't help me. I have 500 cards sleeved with a white backing, and they want to offer me black and gold backings for the remaining cards...?

Alright, how about if I re-sleeve everything? It would take a little longer and negate my previous $28 purchase, but at least I could still play tonight. I offered to buy some sleeves, and asked how much they would cost. I needed about 1,000 sleeves.

They told me it would cost $3 for each pack of 50. I can't explain how infuriating this was. Here, I thought it would be cheaper here than at some toy store in the mall, and it was actually more expensive. How can they charge me $60 for card sleeves after I had just bought 500 cards from them?

I understand that's standard retail price, but they had already made money from my purchase... surely, giving me a discount on the sleeves, or even giving me the sleeves I need at wholesale, wouldn't be unreasonable considering I just purchased the cards from them?

It's not their fault. It's not like they were rude or did something bad, and its not their fault I ran out of sleeves. I understand that. But here's the thing that bugs me... if I had purchased online, I wouldn't have this problem.

They wouldn't have been "out of stock" on my color. I would have got the sleeves when my game arrived. The game would have been cheaper. The sleeves would have been cheaper. I'm noticing there are even online bundles where the sleeves are included with the price of the game.

They offered to order the sleeves for me. That's just great. I bought the game right away, but I can't play it (or at least can't play it along with the basic Dominion set) until I wait for shipping on the sleeves. In my mind, that totally negated at least half the reason for buying from the store in the first place, and paying almost double for the original product I bought.

It bothers me. Going to the game store was supposed to be convenient, even if it was more expensive. Having to sleeve twice as many cards and throw out my old sleeves, or wait for shipping on the correct sleeves, is not at all convenient.

I've now unsleeved all my cards while I try to figure this out. I'm going to order the sleeves on the internet.

I came out of the store feeling foolish for having paid so much, annoyed that they didn't have matching sleeves in stock, and disappointed that they didn't offer a discount when I needed 10 or 20 packs of sleeves after making a purchase.

And this is not at all uncharacteristic of the feelings I have every time I purchase something. I remember when I used to go to stores and feel good after buying something and giddy about playing it. These days, it seems like every time I buy something I keep asking myself as I walk out, why didn't I just buy this on the internet?

Why do I keep buying from hobby stores? I have no idea. I have the game in my trunk, and that's something, but I don't feel giddy about it. I feel like my purchase was incomplete. Like I still have some work to do before I can sit down and enjoy my product. In a way, I felt like I just bought a couch at Ikea... one of those that you have to assemble yourself after you get home... and for ridiculously more money than I had to.

The internet has raised my expectations of the buying process... perhaps unrealistically. It's difficult for me to put up with retailers when I know I can do a better job myself on the internet. What do you mean you'll order it? I can order it myself. I'm used to having an infinite variety, being able to purchase things incredibly old, and getting good prices. I understand its tough for retailers, and I do feel bad for them sometimes, but some days it feels like those retailers aren't even trying. I bought 500 cards from them. Is it unreasonable to expect them to provide a discount on sleeves with my purchase? Especially if they are out of stock on the sleeves I actually needed?

Plus, it's Dominion: Intrigue. There are like four other expansions after that. I guess I should start placing my internet order now...

Why do I keep buying from game stores? I have no idea anymore. But, sadly, I probably won't stop. I'm kind of a masochist that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It's a Hat!
United States
flag msg tools
Welly, welly, welly, welly, welly, welly, well!
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you ask them if they would discount the price on the sleeves? It doesn't sound like you did. I'll bet you a dollar (or the internet equivalent of 61 cents) that they would have given you a discount after your full-price Intrigue purchase, especially if you are a somewhat regular customer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
One Armed Bandit
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why didn't he give you a discount on the sleeves?

Because given the overhead of retail... he probably earns less than 50 cents on each pack of sleeves you buy. I'm not exaggerating. Offering you a 10% discount on your sleeves would have made him lose money. He netted maybe $5 on your oh so massive purchase of 500 cards.

Game stores have razor thing margins thanks to expenses online stores don't have (like, you know... RENT). This is why they don't sell things as cheap as online places do. THEY CAN'T.

So ultimately, your entire whinefest boils down to 2 facts:
A: You can't plan ahead and
B: OMG someone won't give you a discount they can't afford.

Mind you, I find your whole story to be rather fishy on the grounds of simple math.

1: Intrigue has 500 cards
2: 500 cards divided by 50 sleeves = 10 packs.
3: $28 in packs, divided by $2 per pack = 14 packs.
3a: So, with 700 sleeves, how did you run out only sleeving 500 cards?
4: $60 in sleeves at $3 a pack = 20 packs = 1000 sleeves.
4a: Which means it would only cost you $30

So ultimately, you're a petulant whiner, spoiled by the internet, ranting because you feel a massive sense of entitlement as a result of a a single, not very large purchase.

I get a discount at my FLGS. I didn't earn it by purchasing one mid-price game. I've been on a first name basis with the owner for 8 years. I drop about $45 in the store EVERY WEEK OR TWO. I organize and run events for the owner, and I bring in new people. I'm in there every single week. On open game night, I'm showing off games, teaching new players and showing them where on the shelves to get their own copy. But most of all, what I do, every time I get that discount, is to thank him for his generosity, because that discount for me is money straight out of his pocket.

You freely admit you haven't been there in years, and make a single mid-range purchase. Yes, mid-range. $45 is mid-range at best. It might be a lot of money to you, but "big" purchases start at the hundred dollar mark and go up from there. The fact you feel entitled to a discount is frankly somewhat offensive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jayson, do you think that tone of voice is just going to make him say "Gee golly, good point, I think you're right?"....

I still buy often from my FLGS and the reason is pretty obvious to me: immediate satisfaction. If I can control myself, then I go home and buy it on MM or CSI for considerably cheaper. I know FLGS provide other services, but, hey, I've got expenses too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My post may have come across as a whine-fest, but it was meant to provide a constructive purpose. I think game store owners, or anyone affiliated with that industry, is hungry for input from consumers about their purchasing decisions and the thought process that goes into it.

I thought my situation was somewhat unique because it wasn't just based solely on price. In fact, price didn't enter into it too much. It was about whether or not I was satisfied with my transaction. And if you think about it, since games are cheaper online, a satisfied transaction is the REAL product game stores are selling.

Yes, immediate satisfaction was what I was going for, and I don't think that necessarily translates to a lack of planning on my part. However, that satisfaction was not delivered due to the fact that they didn't have an accessory in stock that went with the game I purchased. It may sound small, but I think that kind of information is important to someone interested in running a game store. The lack of availability of an accessory that went with the game hindered my purchase.

That was problem number one. Problem number two was that even though the game store had other accessories that went with the game, there was no economic incentive to purchase them together. As a consumer now growing used to internet bundle packages, this was kind of a big deal.

They would have made the same amount of money either way on the product that I had bought if they had sold me the sleeves without a markup. Selling the additional accessories at cost at the time of purchase, or at any kind of volume discount, would have been a very respectful gesture. Instead, I felt like I was being upsold... like my "mid-level purchase" wasn't high enough and they wanted to see that if they can upgrade my transaction to a higher $100 purchase. Part of me even started to suspect they had the sleeves I needed hidden behind the counter. (They didn't -- I know these people, but that's the sort of feeling you get when you start feeling like someone's pulling a slimey upsell on you.)

I'm not saying I required a discount. What I required what is the product I wanted to purchase, which wasn't available. Since their lack of ability to service me resulted in me having to buy twice as much product to get the same satisfaction, it seemed silly they weren't willing to meet me half way on that.

The details don't matter. What I'm trying to express is this idea: there are definite advantages to purchasing things in a store rather than online. If a store is not careful though, or simply not considerate, it's easy to inadvertently negate those advantages.

If I had known ahead of time that all this was going to happen, and had the information I needed to make a rational decision, the internet would definitely win out. The store, in this specific instance, does not provide enough advantage. If they had my item in stock, or were willing to help me afford the accessory so that my purchase didn't seem so expensive or inconvinient, then that would not have been the case.

This is obviously a special case. Every time I go purchase a game, I won't have this problem. But now I know I could, and its one more reason I feel foolish buying from a game store. And I'm hoping that somehow this helps game stores or anyone affiliated with the industry.

Commerce is changing. Consumers are changing. I'm trying to identify those changes and point out how they do or do not lead to further transactions. And yes, maybe I am whining a little. I was disappointed . It's been years since I've been disappointed with a game purchase, mostly because I had started buying online a few years ago.

I don't want to look on my local gaming store like a charity case. I really do want them to win out in the commerce game, or to stand their own. There are definite advantages they have, in theory at least, but they need to understand those advantages and be able to carry through with them. My purchase today did not, and I doubt it is unique in that regard.

I'm envious of Derek and the immediate satisfaction he gets from his local gaming store. Mine wasn't able to provide that to me today.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Weed
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
how sweet the sound...
badge
Fear The Hat !!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have made purchases from every FLGS in my city. I no longer purchase games from them unless I can find a good deal (occasionally I have found good clearance deals from some). However, if I make a $100 purchase from lets say a "cool thingy corporation" over the internet, I pay as close to the lowest price i will find anywhere, get an additional 4% off due to my loyalty discount, pay no sales tax (which is almost 10% here) or shipping and have my purchase in 2 days (so if I place over the weekend, I'll have it by Wednesday which is the earliest I could play it anyway). I hate that my local stores can't come close to that, but with the number of games I've purchased over the past few years since entering the hobby, I've saved (which actually just goes into other games) a conservative estimate of $1,600 US (this assumes only $6k in purchases getting on average 25% off msrp and adding 2.5% of the escalating loyalty discount. That's 40 less games I would own at $40 a game.

I gave each store a chance, but it isn't my job to barter the best price from them, they all know me and my buying power. The best anyone has offered me was basically covering the tax, whatever my purchase was, one was for over a game over $100 I could get online for $65, my last purchase with him but I gave him the chance. One of them told a friend of mine to have me come negotiate with him before purchasing online so he could see what he could do, and if the game I wanted wasn't in stock, I could get 20% off instead of the 10 (that covered tax). So I can wait a week and a half and still pay more. Mind you that's also my time (at least a half hour each way driving alone and about $10 in gas to maybe come to something close, then $10 when the games come unless I can reach him over the phone and spend that time having him list his inventory which isn't available for me to veiw anywhere).

I purchase my sleeves from one FLGS close to my home because the guy is nice and offers me a lower price than even online. The markup on things like sleeves is usually enormous, % wise anyway. I worked retail for 17 years, we made a killing off the small things and usually broke even or got a little off the larger items.

The other services offered are catered to CCG, roleplaying, and miniatures. I have no issue with that because they are spending way more money and at higher markups to keep him in business than I would, but it wouldn't kill these stores to offer better prices on the board games and then sell sleeves at reasonable prices to garner extra business. If the price point was close (say within 5-10%) I would probably eat that and keep the business local, but I can't discount the availability and selection factor of the online either (usually my local FLGS stores only carry maybe 50 different games max.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
palmerkun wrote:

This isn't really important to the discussion, but just to clarify: I had originally purchased $28 in sleeves, which I think was about 12 or 13 packs. (I think it was 13 packs plus tax, but one of them turned out to be the wrong size so I only had 12.) That wasn't from the game store, that was from the toy store at the mall near my house. It was enough to completely sleeve Dominion and have a few packs left over.

When I purchased Dominion: Intrigue (the expansion to Dominion), I had to re-sleeve those cards, too, which was another set of 500. I knew I didn't have enough sleeves left over for that, but I didn't think of it because in my head that was just one more reason to buy from the local gaming store -- I could sleeve them there and purchase the remaining sleeves I needed. I could have everything sleeved and ready to play tonight. It seemed like a pretty convenient plan to me. Altogether, I was expecting it to cost about $60.

The problem was that they didn't have the sleeves I needed. They wanted to order them, which is probably the first thing that pissed me off. (Again, I could order them myself, and for cheaper.) So I told them my problem and we agreed that if I still wanted sleeves tonight then I would have to buy a different type. So now I needed to sleeve an additional 500 cards (Dominion + Dominion:Intrigue) and would end up not using the original packs I bought, so that's 1000 cards total. And to add to this frustrations, the packs they wanted to sell me each cost $1 more than the ones I wanted to buy in the first place. It's enough to kind of make you howl in frustration.

I ended up going to the toy store at the mall near my house, but they too were out of stock. (Apparently I had bought their whole supply and they still hadn't restocked for some reason.) That's not the fault of my local gaming store, of course, but it still underlines the basic problem: I would have to wait for shipping if I wanted my sleeves, completely negating the primary advantage of buying from a store.

In the end, I had to choose between taking all the sleeves off all the cards and playing them unsleeved, or else playing with over a quarter of them unsleeved. I don't want to play unsleeved due primarily to the aesthetic appeal of the sleeves and to their easier shuffling which eases gameplay. Fortunately, Dominion is one of those games where you don't need all the cards to play, so I went ahead and left a quarter of them unsleeved, swapping out some cards from Dominion and replacing them with Dominion: Intrigue.

I still feel unsatisfied with my purchase even though I spent extra money in the hopes for immediate satisfaction. I went ahead and placed an order for the additional sleeves on the internet, which is probably what I should have done with Dominion: Intrigue in the first place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Weed
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
how sweet the sound...
badge
Fear The Hat !!!
mbmbmbmbmb
lordrahvin wrote:
palmerkun wrote:

This isn't really important to the discussion, but just to clarify: I had originally purchased $28 in sleeves, which I think was about 12-13 packs. That wasn't from the game store, that was from the toy store at the mall near my house. It was enough to completely sleeve Dominion and have a few packs left over.

When I purchased Dominion: Intrigue (the expansion to Dominion), I had to re-sleeve those cards, too, which was another set of 500. I knew I didn't have enough sleeves left over for that, but I didn't think of it because in my head that was just one more reason to buy from the local gaming store -- I could sleeve them there and purchase the remaining sleeves I needed. I could have everything sleeved and ready to play tonight.

The problem was that they didn't have the sleeves. They wanted to order them, which is probably the first thing that pissed me off. (Again, I could order them myself, and for cheaper.) So I told them my problem and if I still wanted sleeves tonight then I would have to buy a different type. So now I needed to sleeve an additional 500 cards (Dominion + Dominion:Intrigue) and would end up not using the original packs I bought. And to add to this frustrations, the packs they wanted to sell me each cost $1 more than the ones I wanted to buy in the first place. It's enough to kind of make you howl in frustration.

I ended up going to the toy store at the mall near my house, but they too were out of stock. (Apparently I had bought their whole supply and they still hadn't restocked for some reason.) That's not the fault of my local gaming store, of course, but it still underlines the basic problem: I would have to wait for shipping if I wanted my sleeves, completely negating the primary advantage of buying from a store.

In the end, I had to choose between taking all the sleeves off all the cards and playing them unsleeved, or else playing with over a quarter of them unsleeved. I don't want to play unsleeved due primarily to the aesthetic appeal of the sleeves and to their easier shuffling which eases gameplay. Fortunately, Dominion is one of those games where you don't need all the cards to play, so I went ahead and left a quarter of them unsleeved, swapping out some cards from Dominion and replacing them with Dominion: Intrigue.

I still feel unsatisfied with my purchase even though I spent extra money in the hopes for immediate satisfaction. I went ahead and placed an order for the additional sleeves on the internet, which is probably what I should have done with Dominion: Intrigue in the first place.

I'm with you, sleeves have such a high mark up, he could have done something for you as opposed to losing the sale. Holding onto inventory doesn't pay the bills.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lordrahvin wrote:
... But here's the thing that bugs me... if I had purchased online, I wouldn't have this problem.

They wouldn't have been "out of stock" on my color...

I can't even count the times I've gone to buy a combo of complementary items from a favourite online retailer and they've failed to have everything I need in stock at the same time. Just because they have an electronic storefront, doesn't mean their stock is 100x larger than a FLGS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Plumley
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Quote:
I thought my situation was somewhat unique because it wasn't just based solely on price. In fact, price didn't enter into it too much.
No, no. This isn't true. Your biggest complaints are that you could've just bought online (which is a matter of not paying a premium price to get things instantly), and that they didn't offer a discount on the sleeves (which is a matter of saving you money).

Quote:
I bought 500 cards from them.
I would hardly say that you "bought 500 cards". Especially in a game store, that conjures up thoughts of buying a couple boxes of Magic boosters, or stacks upon stacks of singles. What you bought is a board game that happens to have 500 cards as a component. Entirely different.

Quote:
[...] out of stock on the sleeves I actually needed? [...] The lack of availability of an accessory that went with the game hindered my purchase.
No, they had the accessory, they sold card sleeves. The fact that they didn't match the kind that you already had is not their fault at all. It'd be one thing if they were sleeves you bought there, but you got them from a different store.

Quote:
Instead, I felt like I was being upsold... like my "mid-level purchase" wasn't high enough
I've worked in retail for a lot longer than I enjoy honestly claiming, and what you're describing isn't upsale at all. You came to them asking for sleeves, and they told you what option was available through them. Now, if they'd tried to sell you the sleeves when you purchased the game, or if they had the white sleeves, but tried to sell you a whole new set of a 'better' sleeve, then that would be upsale. This isn't upsale, it's them telling you what they can do for you.

Quote:
They wanted to order them, which is probably the first thing that pissed me off.
Why does this piss you off? Again, this is them trying to help you. You trash them for "not even trying", and their "lack of ability to service" you, when... well, your story tells otherwise.

Quote:
I bought the game right away, but I can't play it (or at least can't play it along with the basic Dominion set) until I wait for shipping on the sleeves
Yes, you can play it. You talk about the sleeves as if they're required to play the game, but they're not. You even mention at one point that you enjoy them for 'aesthetic' reasons and ease of shuffling. It's all personal taste.

Quote:
They would have made the same amount of money either way on the product that I had bought if they had sold me the sleeves without a markup
This is all kinds of silly that I don't even want to get in to.

Quote:
meant to provide a constructive purpose
I would hardly call any of this very constructive for anyone. I'm sure all game store owners are already well aware that things are cheap online, you're not blowing the lid off of some hidden secret. From a business standpoint, a store didn't have a specific colour of sleeve, and didn't offer a discount on some sleeves to someone who 'doesn't go there much anymore'. You weren't happy, but you 'probably won't stop' going there anyways. End of story.

And rather than just stating what you think the problem is, and ways you think it could be better, you turn it into this dramatic tale, like you weep quietly in your bowl of Cheerios every morning since this happened. Case in point...

Quote:
I'm envious of Derek and the immediate satisfaction he gets from his local gaming store. Mine wasn't able to provide that to me today.
I don't get why someone could get this melancholy...

Quote:
I can't explain how infuriating this was
And feel this entitled...

Quote:
I'm liking Dominion
Oh, there it is. Now I get it. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United States
Sarasota
Florida
flag msg tools
It's My T.A.R.D.I.S.
badge
Galifreyan is hard to read
mbmbmbmbmb
HEHEHEHEHEHEHE, this is sooooooooo,

There isn't a word for this thread that is appropriate.

wow what a waste of bandwidth this is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweetgotham
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I saw pale kings and princes too, Pale warriors, death-pale were they all; They cried—‘La Belle Dame sans Merci Hath thee in thrall!’
mbmbmbmbmb
You are aware that you can play a game a few times sans sleeves and the world won't end, right?

Welcome to first world problems, I suppose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Smith
United States
Perry Hall
Maryland
flag msg tools
IA!! IA!!
badge
FTAGHN!
mbmbmbmbmb
this is my standard rant about online game stores vs. FLGS.

I am fortunate to have several game stores within reasonable driving distance of my home (15 minutes or less). I purchase from them frequently. I also periodically place orders online.

Online stores have 2 main advantages over the FLGS:
1. Price
2. Selection

An online store has far fewer expenses (or at least, cheaper ones), and can offer a lower price, while still maintaining a profit. They can also offer free shipping on larger orders for the same reason. As they do not need to maintain a physical storefront, only a factory space, they can offer more selection, as space is less of a premium. As such, the online retailer is the obvious choice when price and choice are the prime factor.

The FLGS experience, however, offers some things that an online store cannot.
1. Instant gratification
2. Knowledgeable service staff
3. A community of gamers (events)

Even though the price tends to be somewhat higher, and selection more sparse, a good FLGS presents itself as a place for gamers to congregate, a place to meet others of their ilk. They cannot compete on price, so they do not try to. Instead, they give gamers a place to call 'home,' where others of their same interests can gather. You can go in, buy a game, and sit down and play it with other interested gamers right away, without waiting for shipping, or arranging a meetup with your friends.

Many FLGSes have started to branch out into other 'geek' areas, including comics, novels, video games, etc, so you can get the general 'geek' experience, no matter what your interest.

Overall, both experiences offer something great. The online store offers great prices and selection, so you can acquire the titles you want, without breaking the bank. The FLGS is still the core of the gaming hobby, and if you have a good one, it can really be a great boon in your geek life. Buying there supports that community, and as such, I buy there frequently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Thomas
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As with the previous poster, I am fortunate to have a great local game store. The reason that I will go there is the gaming community.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
lordrahvin wrote:
This isn't really important to the discussion, but just to clarify: I had originally purchased $28 in sleeves, which I think was about 12 or 13 packs. (I think it was 13 packs plus tax, but one of them turned out to be the wrong size so I only had 12.) That wasn't from the game store, that was from the toy store at the mall near my house. It was enough to completely sleeve Dominion and have a few packs left over.

Did you also get mad at the toy store when they wouldn't sell you Dominion at cost so you'd have something to put in your newly-purchased sleeves?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Thorne

Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry I must chime in here. Razor thin margins and retail store rent is understandable. My problem is that there is really only 3 problems:

1. Stores cater to the Magic player thus board games are just an add on at full price to catch the unsuspecting instant gratification crowd.

2. Miniature stores looking to get the Games Workshop crowd to buy a $60 model kit with board games as an add on to get the unsuspecting instant gratification crowd.

3. Board game stores that won't even budge off MSRP on old stock because of razor thin margin. I guess full shelves is better than selling something at a discount. Hot new games get the token 2 or 3 copies that are available when internet stores are sold out. Then you are punished with MSRP or more for jumping on the band wagon late.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
weed131 wrote:
I'm with you, sleeves have such a high mark up, he could have done something for you as opposed to losing the sale. Holding onto inventory doesn't pay the bills.

One would presume that since the owner's the one keeping the books and not you he knows whether he's able to pay his bills better than you do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I think brick-and-mortar game stores will eventually go the way of brick-and-mortar video stores. It just doesn't make sense to pay double what you can pay over the internet to get the same thing. UNLESS you REALLY want to play right away, I don't see much point in it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Thomas
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that we need to support the local game store that deserves to be supported. We need to help the store that wants to help the local gaming community. It is the same idea that if I go to a restaurant and the food and service is bad, then I am not going to support it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
b5dorsai wrote:
I agree that we need to support the local game store that deserves to be supported. We need to help the store that wants to help the local gaming community. It is the same idea that if I go to a restaurant and the food and service is bad, then I am not going to support it.

In America at least, if the food or service is bad, people complain and ask for a discount on their check.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ICONOCLAST

Galt's Gultch
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
b5dorsai wrote:

That's the great thing about a free market - we all get to vote without our $$$.

Most of the game stores I know will match online prices rather than lose a sale, but if they do that for every sale they can't stay in business, so most won't volunteer the discount unless you ask them.

In the current economy a lot of us need to watch every penny. But if you do ask the store for a discount, it still means a little less the store has to help it stay in business, and he needs to watch every penny too. You just need to decide whether it's more in your interest to save the money or to support the retailer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Thomas
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree because I was not referring simply to discounts. I like a store where the employees know games and play them, a store which is clean and friendly and one where you feel welcome. That is why I referenced restaurants. If I do not enjoy my meal there, why should I go back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glauco Micsik Roberti
Brazil
Sao Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
publisher
Berserkr Jogos
badge
Berserkr Jogos
mbmbmbmbmb
Why do I keep reading ridiculous posts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Seymour
United States
Jenkintown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lordrahvin wrote:

They told me it would cost $3 for each pack of 50.

The first time I ran a Magic Tournament and someone asked me for sleeves, I said, "Here! These sleeves run around $0.10 each and will last you for years!" They said unkind words. This was list price for the item, and made the same % mark up as any other thing in the store. If I sold these at cost, they still wouldn't be cheap enough to compete with your other store.

The second time I ran a Magic Tournament, I said "Here! These sleeves are crap! They cost 1 penny a piece, and will die soon if you aren't careful!" They were overjoyed. Again, this was list price for the item, with the same % mark up as any other thing in the store.

So, while I understand the store running out of a particular color, stocking a diversity of price levels is a requirement, because people want different things.

Side note: Out of the 80 copies of Dominion that I've sold, I know a single person that has every set and has them sleeved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Lizak
United States
Fairfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm surprised there's so much hostility here towards the OP. I completely understand his point that he questions why he continues to buy from the local store when it makes him feel stupid to do so. I often feel the same way when I think about buying from a local game store or one of the few remaining local chain book stores.

Last weekend I was at a local hobby store and saw some of their games that I was interested in. I wasn't planning on buying any of them that day but I've been known to make an impulse buy if I was in the right mood. But I'm not kidding that the games in this store were all twice what I could pay online. I thought to myself I would be stupid to buy one of them. I felt the same way when I was at one of the last few local chain bookstores. I wanted to buy the Game of Thrones box set but it was $35 plus tax in the store and $20 at Amazon. It was also $20 from the chain's online store too. I thought to myself that I might pay around $25 for the convenience of getting it right away but to pay much more than that would be stupid.

It's a goofy time in retail right now but it can't last. Local stores can't survive when a large part of their market feels stupid for buying stuff there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.