Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Reilly
United States
Bryan
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can the double agent "promote"? I think the answer is probably "yes," but just want to confirm. Also, if the answer IS yes, I assume the opponent will need to pretend to turn the double agent piece around to its "promoted" side?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it doesn't have the little crown on it, it can't be promoted.

Cameron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Reilly
United States
Bryan
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cameron, I think you've misunderstood my question. I know that the double agent cannot REALLY be promoted. But suppose the opponent has been allowing the double agent to move in a way consistent with one of the promotable pieces. Then suppose the player moves the double agent to the opponent's first row, expecting a promotion. May the opponent continue the deception by pretending to promote the piece, thereby "allowing" the new movement abilities? This is consistent with the rule that the

"opponent may freely choose whether a move of the Double Agent is legal or not".

The alternative would presumably be that the opponent must simply say that there's no promotion, and hope that the player expecting the promotion thinks that his expectations were in error.

I'm sorry I didn't make what I was asking more clear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Nesbitt
Canada
Ajax
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, I see what you're asking here... that's an interesting question.

Yes, if you have the nerves-of-steel to allow a double agent to come all the way across the board to be promoted, you can/should fake like you're promoting the piece if that's the piece you've been representing the double agent as. You could also say "No that piece isn't promotable" but that may give away the piece's identity depending on how much your opponent knows about it.

It's up to you if you should choose to actually flip the piece around or rather just pretend to do so. It may be easier just to pretend so that you remember who the double agent was, of course.

If you let the double agent arrive at your board edge with the briefcase that's a whole other story: Your opponent wins.

I'll add your question to the FAQ, and thanks for asking it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Reilly
United States
Bryan
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Kevin! That's what I thought. Great game, by the way; played it four times yesterday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard Hopkins
England
Durham/Darlington
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I only came across this game a few days ago and I want it so bad. I'm not good at waiting. cry

Who do I have to bribe to get a copy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Nesbitt
Canada
Ajax
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RDReilly wrote:
Thanks Kevin! That's what I thought. Great game, by the way; played it four times yesterday.

Richard,

I'm glad to hear you're enjoying it. Given your initial question, you might really enjoy the "Promotion, Sir?" variant discussed in the rulebook. In that variant, you're suitably rewarded for tricking your opponent into promoting their Double Agent (which would be a terrible thing to do in real life to, I imagine).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Larkin
United States
Novato
California
flag msg tools
badge
Twinkies... YUM!
mbmbmbmbmb
RDReilly wrote:

Did you already receive your preorder? I know they were shipping soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Reilly
United States
Bryan
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cupcakus wrote:
RDReilly wrote:

Did you already receive your preorder? I know they were shipping soon.

Yes, it arrived last week: Friday, I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.