Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Wallace
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
6th Circle Nethermancer in Service of the Queen!
mbmbmbmbmb
So.... I made my own Decktet a while back using printable labels on top of a regular deck of playing cards. While they add some thickness, I quite like using them.

SO... I had an idea to make a single deck of cards I could use to play a variety of different games with by adding two suits. I decided to go with blue for both of them and symbols for tears and pawns, while leaving the ordinary four (black: spades, clubs; red: hearts, diamonds).

With such a deck, I'd also add a few extra symbols, like Hand Shakes on face cards, point values for Haggis, etc.

SO.... right now I'm thinking of what games to cover. So far I'm envisioing Haggis, Battle Line, Lost Cities, AND any traditional 52 deck card game. (NOTE: I already own these games, but one compact deck for al of them would be nice, especially for traveling)

I'm asking for ideas or suggestions on other games that would play well with A, 2-10, J,Q,K type decks without much additional text on them for 3 to 6 different suits. Any ideas I should look at?!?

Also, any other thoughts on symbols to use for the new suits, other than tears and pawns?

Thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you already looked at the existing similar ideas, like Rainbow Deck? I think there are several decks along those lines, and a geeklist (or more) listing them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
I just don't think they work. Especially if all you intend to do is port existing games. See Rainbow Deck and compare it with the Decktet: there is a reason one is 'working' and the other is not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Ross
Canada
North Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Raven Bloodeyes wrote:
point values for Haggis, etc.
That's a pretty specific item for a generic deck of cards to have, and could be confusing if you're trying to play a different game where the same card has a different point value. For example, many point trick games have the following point card values: Ace=11, Ten=10, King=4, Queen=3, Jack=2. To accommodate those and Haggis, you'd need to have a 5 and a 4 point value on the Kings. That's just one example. For Chinese point trick games, and some climbing games, common point values are King=10, Ten=10, Five=5 (Tichu inherits these point cards from Zheng Fen). Now, to accommodate these you need the King to have point card value symbols for 10, 5, and 4 and now the Five also has a value of 5 as well as a value of 1 (for Haggis). And it continues like this, getting more arcane as you try to include point card values for each individual game. Having a deck that supports multiple games is nice (check out Sticheln) but it can't be overly specific... just my 2c.

Cheers,
Sean
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Nelson
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I printed out The Bugbear Deck for Battle Line. We have both Battle Line and Lost Cities, but when we travel we use this deck to play them both. We recently picked up Court of the Medici which can be played with a standard deck (as can many other games).

So between the first PnP deck and a standard deck of cards, we can play about a half-dozen different games in our collection. I've been thinking about adding Decktet to the mix.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
peakhope wrote:
Have you already looked at the existing similar ideas, like Rainbow Deck? I think there are several decks along those lines, and a geeklist (or more) listing them.

I couldn't find any such geeklist, but here is a thread that mentions at least one or two other card/deck systems:
Examples of Traditional-style, Standard or Common Deck Systems

Hm. I thought there were more. Nate Straight pointed me to Q-Cards and Triple Topper, and I had found one with the word "Tact" in the name, but I can't find it now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Nelson
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
peakhope wrote:
peakhope wrote:

I couldn't find any such geeklist, but here is a thread that mentions at least one or two other card/deck systems:

Hm. I thought there were more. Nate Straight pointed me to Q-Cards and Triple Topper, and I had found one with the word "Tact" in the name, but I can't find it now.

TactDecks?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chen Changcai
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
For Rainbow Deck, I have created a Geeklist (Games that can be played with Rainbow Deck) that contains all the games you can play using the deck. I believe the Omni-Deck that you mention is exactly what I am trying to achieve in the RD.

Also, you can join in the discussion on the RD at Rainbow Deck - a cardgame system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Rathsack
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
OVERTEXT AHHHHHHH!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I made a 6 suit deck with some extra cards that can play Haggis, Battle Line, Tichu, Wizard, Lost Cities and anything that can be played with 6 or less suits. I made 4 Wizard cards to play Wizard, but I made the wizards fit the theme of the 4 extra Tichu cards (Phoenix Wizard, Wolf Wizard, Dragon Wizard and Tome (for Tiles) Wizard. I'll upload them and post them in a second.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Wallace
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
6th Circle Nethermancer in Service of the Queen!
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool! I'll have to take a look @ Wizards then!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Rathsack
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
OVERTEXT AHHHHHHH!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wouldn't you know it I post this and go to upload the files and the Geek goes down for maintenance. So here are the Wizards and just for kicks I posted examples of the suits I made.

Wizards/Tichu

Suits

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Games playable with Rage deck (not the CCG) - please add!

not sure if you've stumbled across thie GL before....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb
wadenels wrote:
peakhope wrote:
peakhope wrote:

TactDecks?

I appreciate the mention, but in this case I don't think TactDecks is what the OP is looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
seandavidross wrote:
Raven Bloodeyes wrote:
point values for Haggis, etc.
That's a pretty specific item for a generic deck of cards to have, and could be confusing if you're trying to play a different game where the same card has a different point value. For example, many point trick games have the following point card values: Ace=11, Ten=10, King=4, Queen=3, Jack=2. To accommodate those and Haggis, you'd need to have a 5 and a 4 point value on the Kings. That's just one example. For Chinese point trick games, and some climbing games, common point values are King=10, Ten=10, Five=5 (Tichu inherits these point cards from Zheng Fen). Now, to accommodate these you need the King to have point card value symbols for 10, 5, and 4 and now the Five also has a value of 5 as well as a value of 1 (for Haggis). And it continues like this, getting more arcane as you try to include point card values for each individual game. Having a deck that supports multiple games is nice (check out Sticheln) but it can't be overly specific... just my 2c.

Cheers,
Sean

I was gonna point this same thing out. It's not necessary to include point values on the card. It could even be detrimental as the cards start to become more and more cluttered and difficult to read. I would just make some cheat sheets for your favorite games that have reminders of what the cards are worth. Haggis esp is very easy to remember. Odd values are worth one, Jacks 2, Queens 3, and Kings 5!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.