Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark J
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"The Random Number on the To Hit RNC is never added to the Effect Number of a hit if a black 0 RNC would not also have resulted in the hit."

The wording of the sentence is a little odd. Is it trying to say that if 0 isn't a To Hit number then you are not allowed to add whatever number is the To Hit number to your effect number?

Like the German mortar uncrewed is a 2 only at RR0. So if you get a 2 you may not add that to your effect number because a 0 wasn't also a TO#?

In addition if my ordinance weapon is at a 0-4 TO# range I may add 4 to my effect number if 4 is the RNC number?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty M
Ireland
Fermoy
Co Cork
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The reason for this rule is as follows:-

Imagine an ordnance weapon has a To Hit value of 0 at a given RR. Now imagine that the defender plays a -2 concealed card to reduce the To Hit value to 2. This means that the target is less likely to hit, but if it does hit, the fire strength would paradoxically be greater than if the concealed card hadn't been played.

This rule prevents the above paradox from happening.

I only discovered this rule on a forum here a couple of weeks ago - I had been playing wrong for years!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark J
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
so I have correctly interpreted the rule? I wasn't questioning the logic of the rule just making sure I got it right.

The other issue that just came up in a game is what if the AFV is in group C at RR0 and wants to fire at enemy group A at RR0? I argued that it's not allowed to because the firepower column doesn't have any numbers for -0 relative ranges.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DiploGuy wrote:
so I have correctly interpreted the rule? I wasn't questioning the logic of the rule just making sure I got it right.

I believe you got it correct.

The best way to think of To Hit numbers is as a spectrum:

0-6 0-5 0-4 0-3 0-2 0-1 0 1 2 3 4 5 6

Ordnance with a To Hit# of 0-N, not only has a better chance of hitting, but also will be more likely to be a direct hit--causing more damage.

Quote:
The other issue that just came up in a game is what if the AFV is in group C at RR0 and wants to fire at enemy group A at RR0? I argued that it's not allowed to because the firepower column doesn't have any numbers for -0 relative ranges.

All relative ranges less than 0 are treated as 0 for firepower and To hit purposes (see Rule 5.51 http://www.iufl.org/Rulebook/ )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark J
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rri1 wrote:
[q="DiploGuy"]
Quote:

All relative ranges less than 0 are treated as 0 for firepower and To hit purposes (see Rule 5.51 http://www.iufl.org/Rulebook/ )

Help me with the logic of this. If America group A is at RR0 and German group A is at RR5 the American group A could retreat 5 RRs to -5 because that doesn't make their RR less than 0. According to this rule then the American group A could fire at German group B, who let's say is at RR0, even though that's a RR of -10. So the game is saying range 0 to range -10 has the same degree of success for the attacker?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DiploGuy wrote:

Help me with the logic of this. If America group A is at RR0 and German group A is at RR5 the American group A could retreat 5 RRs to -5 because that doesn't make their RR less than 0. According to this rule then the American group A could fire at German group B, who let's say is at RR0, even though that's a RR of -10. So the game is saying range 0 to range -10 has the same degree of success for the attacker?

First off, relative range refers to the distance between two groups, derived by adding the range chits together. When referring the specific positions (i.e. what number is on the range chit), the rulebook (confusingly) uses the term "range". Players often use the term "range chit" to avoid confusion.

The designer's notes give the following distances for each range:
0 = over 400 yds.
1 = 400-200 yds.
2 = 100-200 yds.
3 = 50-100 yds.
4 = 25-50 yds.
5 = under 25 yds (i.e. essentially the same area)

Note the distances are not linear.

Any relative range less than 0 is simply treated in game terms as being "over 400 yds." 400 yds. is picked not because WW2 rifles were incapable of firing bullets that far. It was that the average soldier did not have the marksmanship to be effective beyond 400 yds (or 200 yds in with the less well trained Russians, Japanese and Italians)

Also the rules prevent most situations where RR-1 (or more negative relative ranges) from occurring by:
- Any retreating moves to a negative range chit must be done with a movement card with a red RNC printed on it (making about 1/2 of the movement cards useless for retreating--though they can be used for sideways or forward movement, removing wire, transferring, etc.)
- You cannot make a retreating move if the closest enemy group is at RR0. Another group could be further away, so RR-1 or lower is possible--but this prevent all of the opposing groups from having negative RR's

You just don't get too many situations where you are firing at RR-1 (or more negative RR's). Think of being at RR0 or negative RR as being "too far away to really hit them."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.