Gadi Oron
Israel
Rehovot
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi

In many cases when a monster is instructed to move adjacent to the hero, the hero is on the edge of a tile. So it can be placed on the hero's tile or not.

Are there any rules for that? i.e. on what square adjacent to the hero to place the monster?

This sometimes make a great difference for future actions, for example, if you put a cave bear not on the hero's tile, you would constantly get dazed from his attacks...

Thanks in advance.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Osnabrück
flag msg tools
                                                             oooo                             ooo                             o    o                                      o     
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You can place it on any square that is adjacent to the hero, on any tile.
I don't have a rule reference and maybe this isn't directly answered in the rules, but the designers often stated that if something can be interpreted in different ways, choose the one which is the best for the heroes.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Anderson
United States
Ennis
Montana
flag msg tools
There is nothing better than playing board games with my 4 sons!
badge
There is nothing better than playing board games with my 4 sons!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We have encountered this problem many times before, we always move it into the same tile as the hero, unless it is completely blocked by other heros or something like that... But whenever possible we do try to move the monster into the tile and then square closest to the hero.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Lincoln
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
The monster should be moved to which ever square is most advantageous for the players. Whether it actually move a tile or not is irrelevant. I've found this to be one of the subtler elements of the game, but very important as far as tactics go.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Anderson
United States
Ennis
Montana
flag msg tools
There is nothing better than playing board games with my 4 sons!
badge
There is nothing better than playing board games with my 4 sons!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
nyjastul69 wrote:
The monster should be moved to which ever square is most advantageous for the players. Whether it actually move a tile or not is irrelevant. I've found this to be one of the subtler elements of the game, but very important as far as tactics go.


I can appreciate it both ways, but have found that when my oldest son and I play, we pretty much rock when going through scenarios... so we have a few house rules to not make it as advantageous to the players (such as that example)... also some spells, etc., effect certain tiles and not others, so we move the monster into the tile and then the closest square.

Now on the flip side of the coin, when I play with my 8 year old son, despite him being a pretty good player, we do make mistakes that could cost us the game if we are not careful, so making more advantageous moves is to our benefit in that situation.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gadi Oron
Israel
Rehovot
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone for the assistance
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The official rule is already listed on the tactic: Move the monster adjacent to the hero. Since it makes no mention of tiles, it's up to the active Hero player to decide which square to move him on (the hero's tile or not). Peter Lee, the game designer, chimed in on the Castle Ravenloft boards and said it was his intention that the heroes move the monsters advantageous to the heroes. It's one of the few tactical choices offered in the game.

-shnar
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Methot
Canada
SAINTE-JULIE
QUEBEC
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
The official rule is already listed on the tactic: Move the monster adjacent to the hero. Since it makes no mention of tiles, it's up to the active Hero player to decide which square to move him on (the hero's tile or not). Peter Lee, the game designer, chimed in on the Castle Ravenloft boards and said it was his intention that the heroes move the monsters advantageous to the heroes. It's one of the few tactical choices offered in the game.

-shnar


+1 for shnar...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Anderson
United States
Ennis
Montana
flag msg tools
There is nothing better than playing board games with my 4 sons!
badge
There is nothing better than playing board games with my 4 sons!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There is another thread on this question too (in Ravenloft maybe?), the updated rules online specify differently, but the original in-package rules say it is how Shnar just referenced it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Cardboard Carnage wrote:
There is another thread on this question too (in Ravenloft maybe?), the updated rules online specify differently, but the original in-package rules say it is how Shnar just referenced it.


It does? Care to quote it, since I cannot find it. The only change in rules I was able to find is if the monster is moving to a tile, in which case it moves to the bone pile or any space if the pile is occupied by another figure. I was not able to find any changes in the rules if a monster's tactic has it move adjacent to the hero. The hero is still free to place it on any space adjacent to him, regardless of tile placement.

And, as I mentioned before, one of the few tactical choices offered in this game

-shnar
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.