LSU LSU
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still getting used to LOTR the Card Game. I've played 10-15 solo sessions. So far my experience seems to mirror others who have posted (i.e. Tactics is really hard solo; all three of the other spheres can win the first quest unaided; it's hard for any single-sphere deck to beat the Anduin scenario; and Anduin can be beaten handily by a multisphere deck - for me, Spirit/Leadership).

Today I tried a tactics deck against Ninjadorn's 1st scenario, The Old Forest. Tactics got slaughtered. Then I tried my spirit/leadership deck (Eowyn, Dunhere, Theodred). I lost quickly the first time (back to back necromancer's reach killed off 2 heroes after they were already slightly wounded.

The second time through I had a fairly epic game. I think it's a pretty good deck for the scenario, but it was quite difficult this time because

1) all three Gandalf's were in the bottom 3rd of my deck (until I reshuffled after finishing off one location)
2) the deck is built to quest, and I drew mostly enemies (the last 2 cards in the encounter deck had 10-15 locations)
3) I drew two caught in a web - one on Eowyn - I eventually put unexpected courage on her, and one on Dunhere (this game relatively late in the game), and I never drew Steward of Gondor, so I was low on resources all game.

I slowly put out allies, losing a couple as meat shields. I was also fortunate to draw galdrim's greetings twice early, which let me drop my threat by 12 overall. But I had a really hard time killing enemies. At one point I had 2 hill trolls and Chieftan Ufthak.

Anyways, I eventually won the game. At the end I had a ton of allies out. Final score

26 threat (used Gandalf/Sneak attack 3 times to lower threat)
2 wounds
- 12 (VP - 2 hill trolls and Chieftan Ufthak)

Final score: 16.

I went through about 65% of the encounter deck and my 50 card hand.

Edit: Title Change. And - I realized a mistake. Rereading through the rulebook I noticed the bit on unique characters. I knew you could not have two gandalfs in play but I did not think about Faramir. I had 2 of him for a long time. I could have used a different ally, but I'm sure I got some benefit from him specifically (probably in questing).

Edit 2: Forgot to mention - I am using 1 core set. So just one copy of some cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Brief Session report (Ninjadorn "The Old Road")
Great stuff - thanks for the report!

I actually played The Old Forest through again today solo - still only one core set - using two decks: Lore + Tactics (still tactically avoiding the troublesome Spirit deck too). After limping through to the final stage with 1 hero dead from each sphere I was cursing myself when the second Hill Troll turned up. "Argh! Why didn't I remove that bastard in the setup instructions?!"

After the first Troll went down both Threat tracks were spiralling, wound tokens were everywhere, enemies kept turning up and I was down to Denethor at 1 hit point left with no allies in Lore, and Legolas with a rag tag band of battered allies in Tactics. With certain doom looming at the end of the turn after failed questing and just two progress tokens to go it was down to a last minute appearance by Gandalf to weaken the Hill Troll, followed by Legolas and his gang leaping to decapitate the Troll and put those two precious last Progress tokens on the scenario, netting the win.

But it was pure carnage - my score was over 100, and with Gimli, Thalin, Beravor and Glorfindel plus countless allies all dead it was a bittersweet victory indeed...

So yeah, hope you enjoyed the scenario!

ninja

Minor quibble: for clarity your title should probably read 'NinjaDorg's The Old Forest' - The Lost Road is another of my scenarios, but it's designed strictly for one hero.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LSU LSU
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ninjadorg -

I enjoyed the scenario a great deal. I'm setting up to try your second scenario, forgotten ruins, with the same deck. The game's mechanics are all new to me as I've never played a CGG/LCG, but I am really enjoying it.

Sounds like a great comeback in your game.

I edited the title, thanks. I also added another edit - I made a pretty big mistake in my game. I had two Faramir's out. For some reason, I thought the only unique character in the core set was Gandalf. I had not noticed the symbol on Faramir's card. Other than that, I think I played the game through correctly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WORELOF PENDRAGON
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i found all of ninjadorgs senarios quite fun.Tanks for making them
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
w0relof wrote:
i found all of ninjadorgs senarios quite fun.Tanks for making them

I think it's brilliant that people are not just playing them, but taking the time to come on here and tell others about them too. It's great to be able to give something useful back to the community that's given me so much geeky goodness!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.