Popular Tags: [View All]
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb

Okay, so I've got the Tribble Token... Now what else??

I'm thinking there could be some mechanism whereby a Tribble Token is added to the planet at some point early in the game or during setup, and then they spread from there around the planet. If the planet ever fills up with Tribbles, it's an automatic loss. Players can spend actions to beam Tribbles aboard the Enterprise, and then beam them from there to the Klingon ship, which serves the dual purpose of removing them from the planet and also giving some kind of attack bonus against the Klingons.

Still need to work out some details, and of course it will help once I actually have a chance to play this game (which may not be until August). But one common criticism I've heard is the potential lack of replayability with the included base missions, so I'm trying to get a jump on offering some additional material. No doubt there are tons of options for scenarios and variants available within the ST universe. I'm also working on a "Q" based mission variant to go with my TNG characters.

Anyway, if you have any comments or suggestions, please feel free to chime in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Fanchi
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like it could be fun. I'm thinking that one tribble would get added to a location adjacent to another location with a tribble each time the Stardate card advances the Stardate tracker. A character would have to be in a tribble's location in order to beam it up (they have to relay the tribble's coordinates to the ship) and the ship can only ever have one tribble aboard. Also, you cannot beam up the last tribble token on the planet (otherwise you'd be able to wipe them out pretty quick).

A character who is aboard the Enterprise while it has a tribble aboard can beam it over to the Klingons as an action to move the Klingon ship back one space on the ship track as the Klingons deal with the invaders. In order to do this, however, the character has to beam the tribbles through the Klingons' shields, which requires an Operations skill check. Roll one white die (normally a skill check is two dice, but that would be too easy), add the character's Operations skill, then subtract two for each empty space between the Enterprise and the Klingons. If the total exceeds the Klingon ship's shield number, the transport succeeds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's good, and along the lines with what I had in mind. I'm thinking now that it might function a bit more like Pandemic, where there are an initial number of Tribbles setup randomly somehow, and then they are added and spread from there. You're right that the last Tribble should never be able to be eliminated from the planet, or at least not without some work as the game progresses, otherwise it would be too easy to get rid of them initially. I'm not sure I would limit the Enterprise to having one Tribble, though... but the more that are there and that you are trying to beam off, the harder it is to do that, and they can muck up the Enterprise's abilities while they are there. I like the idea of the Operations skill check to beam them successfully to the Klingon ship.

Anyway, I really appreciate the input. Still needs some work, but I think this could add a nice wrinkle to the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Had a thought about a Pandemic-like distribution method...

At the start of the game, place one Tribble token in each of the three center locations on the planet. Note: Throughout the game, there must always be at least one Tribble token in these three center planet locations (i.e. players cannot remove the last Tribble token from those locations). Each time a Stardate card advances the Stardate tracker, add one Tribble token to each location that already has at least one. If the Stardate card does not advance the Stardate tracker, add two Tribble tokens to any location that does not have at least one (player's choice). If a location already has 3 Tribble tokens when another would be added, instead of adding a 4th, add one to each connected location.

Now, that may end up being way too many Tribbles... I don't know. If so, the means for getting rid of them can be made easier. But I think something like that would be good to keep them coming at a steady pace, with some uncertainty for when they might multiply in a big way, and also some choices the players can make for where/when to focus on removing them and where to add them when the Stardate cards don't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.